Sleep and diet

mitchmcc

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi all

Just wondering if anybody has noticed a change in their sleep since changing their diet? I'm a sleep tech so (a) I know a lot about sleep and (b) I have insomnia largely due to the fact that I'm a shift worker. But I've found that since dropping the meat and dairy, I've been sleeping much better. Just wondering if there is a physiological reason for that or if, like most things to do with insomnia, its all psychological.

Cheers
Mitch

Reactions: Emma JC
I have had a sleep disorder for 30 years. I usually have no trouble falling asleep but I have a lot of trouble staying asleep.
I have noticed some connections to diet - but not to being vegan.

Maybe a decreased intake in animal foods could be linked with decreased cortisol? Increased cortisol, as far as I've read, can be linked with nightly wake ups and trouble falling asleep. An intake in antioxidant-rich plants and foods containing melatonin/ serotonin (kiwi) could mitigate those effects.

... and then there's the added benefit that you're not responsible for the killing of sentient beings, which could lead to a good conscience and therefore better sleep . :p

Reactions: betiPT