Music Singers in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Some very successful singers are not in the Hall of Fame such as Heart(20 top 40 hits, 9 top 10), but the following singers are in the Hall:
Shirelles(12 hits, 6 top 10)
Otis Redding(11 hits, 1 top 10)
Martha and the Vandellas(12 hits, 6 top 10)
Lynard Skynard(5 hits, 1 top 10)
The Kinks(12 hits, 5 top 10)
The Impressions(17 hits, 2 top 10)
Al Green(14 hits, 6 top 10)
The Drifters(16 hits, 5 top 10)
The Coasters(10 hits, 6 top 10)
Booker T. and the MG's(7 hits, 3 top 10)
Hank Ballard And The Midnighters(7 hits, 2 top 10)
The Mamas and the Papas(10 hits, 6 top 10)
What exactly are they looking for?

What exactly are they looking for?

Donations and memorabilia?

I went there a couple of years ago, pretty neat place. I really liked seeing ZZ Top's car. They had a special exhibit of Bruce Springsteen at the time. I may go again in a few weeks when we're in Ohio visiting.

As far as Heart, yeah they were good and I liked them but IMO they are missing an intangible (or something) compared to some of the others you listed despite having a higher hit count. That being said they'll probably be inducted at some point.

Donations and memorabilia?

I went there a couple of years ago, pretty neat place. I really liked seeing ZZ Top's car. They had a special exhibit of Bruce Springsteen at the time. I may go again in a few weeks when we're in Ohio visiting.

As far as Heart, yeah they were good and I liked them but IMO they are missing an intangible (or something) compared to some of the others you listed despite having a higher hit count. That being said they'll probably be inducted at some point.
Which intangible would this be? Let's use the Mamas and the Papas as an example. They weren't influential, and they had no longevity(career as a band lasted around 2.5 years from first hit to last hit). I'm a fan of them, but there's no way I would consider them legends. I just don't understand some of the choices they've made at all.

Which intangible would this be? Let's use the Mamas and the Papas as an example. They weren't influential, and they had no longevity(career as a band lasted around 2.5 years from first hit to last hit). I'm a fan of them, but there's no way I would consider them legends. I just don't understand some of the choices they've made at all.

Disagree, they were iconic, Heart not so much. But that's what it comes down to, opinions. Apparently the nominating/approval committee agrees with me. :p

What about Lynard Skynard? Some claim they were influential, but which singers did they influence? If you're influential but didn't have a lot of hits you should still go in(Dylan didn't have a huge amount of hits, but still should be in the Hall) but most of those on my list were not influential. I think a lot of it comes down to the Hall of Fame putting in their favorites. Heart came out in the late 1970's, so they've had plenty of time in which to put them in. They may not be one of their favorites and they're not putting them in.

The plane crash probably influenced the choice of Skynyrd, as maybe Mama Cass's untimely death did for the M&Ps., too. I love both groups, I'm all old and saw LS live. Not old enough for the M&Ps though. :D