Should we have politics here?

anarchist100

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I used to not like it, but I find that the people here are more open minded than other places on the internet, although I did get a lot of **** on the "veganism is not the most ethical lifestyle" but that's understandable from people who are so used to hearing it from judgmental non-vegan, animal haters. Anyway at the moment this is a very good place to post opinions, and I hope it stays this way.

I can see why that IS a valid question. And six years ago I might have said, "No, we shouldn't".

Stepping up on soap box.

I'm sure that we do need to discuss politics. And state our opinions. and inform and educate each other.

our main goal as vegans is to reduce the amount of animal exploitation. There is a lot we can do individually. but there is a lot of objectives that require changes in public policy.

I can't remember which animal rights advocate suggested that the definition of veganism be modified to include being an animal rights activist. (I think it might have been Peter Singer. ) One 100% vegan can do X amount. but if that one vegan could convert one person to eat less meat each year - well the math is beyond me but its some multiple of X. And if that one person also became an advocate....

Sometimes (not often enough) people will ask me what they (as individuals) can do to reduce climate change. I tell them to go vegan. then they ask me what else. and I say vote Blue. I think the same goes with animal rights. By going vegan we can live according to our values. by voting we Might be able to affect greater changes.

I've been looking up vegan accomplishments to add dates to @Indian Summer 's calendar project. And it has reminded me of all the accomplishment that have been made by activists.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”

― Margaret Mead

Cory Booker is the only vegan in the Senate. He is working on a bill that will phase out CAFOs. Not a win for the Abolitionists but a win for Animal Welfare.

I just learned that the farmers in India are involved in the biggest worker stike in history. the issues they have are nearly identical to the issues American farmers have. We can't just not eat chicken. but we need to change laws, rules, and regulations to promote ethical and fair practices. For the chicken and the people.

Finally, we do not operate in a vacuum. Plant-based, climate change, waste reduction all over lap in the big picture of living responsibly.

OK, stepping off my soap box.

What gets overlooked is that so many of us have been on this forum, and from it's sister forum, for many years, and have online friendships beyond the framework of this forum.
I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were new! ;)
I think a lot has to do with perspective

• Agree
Reactions: 1956 and Veganite
Believe it or not, but I think we used to have more political discussion on the old Veggie Views forum. (VV was merged with VF about a year ago.) We had some interesting discussions, but it was probably too much, at least for some members who over the years sadly ended up leaving in a huff. So in retrospect I wish we had had less political discussions there. There is something to be said for promoting unity and keeping the focus on our shared goals/values. I was pleasantly surprised with the generally more friendly, less political atmosphere on VF.

Again, it's a question of finding the right balance. This is an Internet forum that promotes veganism. I don't mind if members also talk about politics - that's absolutely fine, but I won't actively promote it as much as I did on VV with dedicated forums for political debate.

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
I think the discussions would be more civil if people based their posts on research, and if people posted links to their sources. When people start ranting their poorly-substantiated opinions, that's when things get nasty.

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
I think the discussions would be more civil if people based their posts on research, and if people posted links to their sources. When people start ranting their poorly-substantiated opinions, that's when things get nasty.
The problem is people don't trust each other's resources.

While it is nice to assume that most people would be of like minds here since all vegans..........reality is a harsher *****. Unless it involves animal rights or veganism, politics should stay away.

And then there’s “life experience.”

“Don’t argue with fools. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - source unverifiable

“The personal is political.” - popular political slogan in the 20th century, no known author

We can’t avoid personal experiences in the context of politics. They shape our perspectives. They are relevant. And they can shed light on issues that formal studies have ignored.

On the other hand, personal experience cannot be verified. So it can be used to justify almost anything, and it’s highly subjective.

I think a good political discussion is a well-rounded one. One involving references to sources, experiences, and new ideas.

Reactions: 1956
I think we should keep politics on the forum.

However, the threads should be somewhat hidden away as usually is already the case. When a new person comes to the forum we want them to see the recipes and support and foods and fun pet photos part of the forum at first, anything that can help them transition to and stay veggie.

We want to avoid the politics being very visible, incase it puts someone off.

I think it´s fine as is.

Reactions: 1956
Just to refine what my thinking is.
We don't operate in a vacuum. Our personal philosophy of compassion, our interest in health, commitment to both animal and human rights, and our concern for the environment, means we should be interested in news and motivated to influence things as we can.

My feeling is that perhaps this General section is not the correct place to have political discussions...
This is one of the first sections on the forum, my thinking is that the Members only section may be more appropriate,
that way new people just looking would not have access to the threads...
Just looked around and we have several different political discussions going on in several different places, would it be possible to move all the existing threads to the Members Zone? At a minimum it would be easier if they were all in the same section and the Members section seems best...
Do other members think that that would be more appropriate?

My feeling is that perhaps this General section is not the correct place to have political discussions...
This is one of the first sections on the forum, my thinking is that the Members only section may be more appropriate,
that way new people just looking would not have access to the threads...
Just looked around and we have several different political discussions going on in several different places, would it be possible to move all the existing threads to the Members Zone? At a minimum it would be easier if they were all in the same section and the Members section seems best...
Do other members think that that would be more appropriate?

I like the idea of having a Politics section in the Member Zone!

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and 1956