Should vegans refrain from watching movies & TV

No. I wouldn’t want to deprive myself of the pleasure of movies and episodes of programmes. Some movies can have good, animal rights messages!
You could, however, campaign to help stop this and make them just use vegan alternatives instead. You could set up a petition and also contact film companies about this. I might also set up a petition about this.
Another thing that I would kindly encourage you to do is to campaign to stop the abuse and killing of animals in the actual making movies, and campaign for them to just use cgi animals (for live-action movies - of course, this wouldn’t be needed for animated movies). I might also set up a petition about this.
Here are some movies that have an animal rights message:
* Bambi.
* The Fox and the Hound.
* Wolfwalkers.
* Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.
* Charlotte’s Web.
* Babe.
* The Mighty Celt (please be warned - the dog is brutally killed).
* The Plague Dogs (please be warned - an extremely sad movie about dogs that escape from a cruel animal lab).
* Ferdinand.
* Dumbo (the 2019 one delivers a better animal rights message, and they used cgi elephants).
* 101 Dalmatians and 102 Dalmatians.
Thanks.
Oh, and also Chance (an animated movie about a dog who is used in dog-fighting. Some dogs do die).

that would be way too strict. although I have avoided watching certain movies where I know animals died, like the hobbit.
can't imagine saying "no I don't watch any shows or movies, I'm vegan..." lol. That sounds pretty boring, what about video games?

Last edited:
So I came across this thread and re-read it and I'm still puzzled by something. Why did Lou and others bring up practicality in this context? Would it really be impractical to not watch movies?

I'm a beginner but No, we vegans do not need to refrain from watching movies and TV. There is no requirement that we vegans avoid entertainment that may contain animal products or animal-based content. Some may even contain helpful messages that raises awareness.

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought most of the studios had changed over to digital cameras. I heard the questions, by some of the theaters, about the costs of changing over from actual film to digital transmission of the film. This was a long time ago. A lot of the small chains said they couldn't afford the changeover.

I checked and the recommended cameras for movies were all digital.

The question about gelatin in film seems to be a moot point since nobody uses it anymore, and hasn't for a really long time.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
I am glad to know watching entertainment from media does not have to be avoided with being vegan. I didn't avoid it with being vegan. But I did just fall away from watching things on television since, and it has been a long while since I have gone to any theater, I now do everything with media with online activity. But I can see other vegans can go on watching media without it being an issue even with things I am not watching now.

It is a good thing movie films do not use animal products. There are actually vegan friendly movies to see. There is Okja, Fast Food Nation, The Game Changers, Blackfish, and more.

Seems from this thread that even vegans don't care enough about animals to give up their entertainment and do something more satisfying instead. Enjoyment of food is far more tied in with instinct than enjoyment of films and yet we look down on those who eat meat while knowingly refusing to make other changes. The few "animal activism" films that are made do not justify it. The OP said that even with digital media, copies are made on film for archival purposes. I am not sure if this is true but I am abstaining from supporting these companies until I find out. I would find it much easier to avoid films than I find avoiding animal products in my food.