Should vegans refrain from watching movies & TV

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Should vegans refrain from watching movies and TV, at least on streaming?

According to Quora user Steven Bradford (Are film stock or videotape still typically used in making movies or TV or projecting movies in theaters?), film studios require that physical film copies of their movies be made for archival purposes even if the film was shot digitaly. According to Wikipedia (Film stock - Wikipedia) film is coated in gelatin. Does this mean we either shouldn't watch TV and movies or should only watch things we can get on secondhand DVDs?

According to Quora user Steven Bradford (Are film stock or videotape still typically used in making movies or TV or projecting movies in theaters?), film studios require that physical film copies of their movies be made for archival purposes even if the film was shot digitaly. According to Wikipedia (Film stock - Wikipedia) film is coated in gelatin. Does this mean we either shouldn't watch TV and movies or should only watch things we can get on secondhand DVDs?

welcome to the forum

No.

Do I like the idea that this happens? No.
Are animals being raised just for this purpose? No.

Gelatin is made from the remains of the animals that are eaten.... let's get people to stop eating them and wearing them first and then we can tackle this issue.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Everything has a history of how it became the thing it is today
Most every medical breakthrough has been not only created from animal experiments, but experiments on unconsenting humans. From people whose mental or physical state made them easy victims, to prisoners, those of color, or the poor.
Would it be vegan to avoid medicine because of it's history?

What benefit would boycotting movies have towards animal protection? Would the general public be more inclined to join the cause, or see this as another reason to feel vegans are just crazy extremists?

If admonishing the film industry is contentious, then so would books due to the glues used, so would most computers due to animal products used in the production of most semiconductor metals.. Shoes, transportation, bike tires.....

The idea of being vegan for me is to make as much effort as I can to avoid contributing to the exploitation of animals, environment, or other humans, as much as possible. This of course would change depending on economic and personal factors, with those of higher means being held to higher standards. If you were a vegan producer I would say you should think of other materials, but for the general public, not sipping a milkshake would be reasonable

Is there a sourc
welcome to the forum

No.

Do I like the idea that this happens? No.
Are animals being raised just for this purpose? No.

Gelatin is made from the remains of the animals that are eaten.... let's get people to stop eating them and wearing them first and then we can tackle this issue.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Is there a reliable source that says gelatin comes from the same animals that are raised for food and not animals raised solely to make gelatin? All I've managed to find is Wikipedia.

Last edited:
If admonishing the film industry is contentious, then so would books due to the glues used, so would most computers due to animal products used in the production of most semiconductor metals.. Shoes, transportation, bike tires.....
I didn't realize animals were used to make so many things. In that case, is there a good reason to single out food as the one animal made thing to avoid?

I didn't realize animals were used to make so many things. In that case, is there a good reason to single out food as the one animal made thing to avoid?
Yes. Human history evolved with a need to scavage parts wherever possible. Food, clothing, shelter, weapons. It was natural that this continued. Unfortunately it only furthered peoples greed to use them for monetary value. We haven't had the 'need' to use them for ages, but have since confined, trapped, used for testing, and limited use all because they can be considered property and commodities. Like animal testing, leather and fur, and entertainment.
Food is still the primary use for animals. Bone char, gelatin, carmine, all the enzymes---these are only things because they are ways to dispose of the waste parts. This is also largely true of cat and dog foods-a good amount is from animal parts not used for most human foods

Edit: just realized it was this thread! 🙄

Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou
OK, in defense of David your question is reminiscent of a thing that trolls and anti-vegans say. As a vegan you should know better, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

also to be fair there are several ways vegans look at this issue. So I'm just going to give you my viewpoint, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

IMHO no one can absolutely abstain from animal exploitation. Well short of going to live in the woods.

So we simply do the best that we can. Since avoiding animal products like meat and milk, not to mention leather and wool are pretty easy to do we consider that to be the minimum threshold. Animal products are found in any number of things. I think there are some used in the manufacturing of tires, computers, medicine, glue, etc.

Since avoiding all those things would be very impractical we tend not to worry about it too much. In fact, right there in the Vegan society's definition it says "where possible and practical".

But certainly its practical to avoid a chicken sandwich.

Yes. Human history evolved with a need to scavage parts wherever possible. Food, clothing, shelter, weapons. It was natural that this continued. Unfortunately it only furthered peoples greed to use them for monetary value. We haven't had the 'need' to use them for ages, but have since confined, trapped, used for testing, and limited use all because they can be considered property and commodities. Like animal testing, leather and fur, and entertainment.
Food is still the primary use for animals. Bone char, gelatin, carmine, all the enzymes---these are only things because they are ways to dispose of the waste parts. This is also largely true of cat and dog foods-a good amount is from animal parts not used for most human foods

Edit: just realized it was this thread! 🙄
So if I understand correctly, you're saying food should be the primary concern because most other things made from animals are made from parts of animals left over after the rest of the animal was made into food. Am I understanding correctly?

OK, in defense of David your question is reminiscent of a thing that trolls and anti-vegans say. As a vegan you should know better, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.

also to be fair there are several ways vegans look at this issue. So I'm just going to give you my viewpoint, so you can take it with a grain of salt.

IMHO no one can absolutely abstain from animal exploitation. Well short of going to live in the woods.

So we simply do the best that we can. Since avoiding animal products like meat and milk, not to mention leather and wool are pretty easy to do we consider that to be the minimum threshold. Animal products are found in any number of things. I think there are some used in the manufacturing of tires, computers, medicine, glue, etc.

Since avoiding all those things would be very impractical we tend not to worry about it too much. In fact, right there in the Vegan society's definition it says "where possible and practical".

But certainly its practical to avoid a chicken sandwich.
Interesting; what do you think of my original movie question, then? I would assume that avoiding movies would be practical, albeit not very fun.

Reactions: Lou
Is there a reason you don't understand supply and demand? Animals are primarily raised for food. Slaughterhouses have to find ways to dispose of the waste products. Waste can be converted into other things to make companies money; because there is waste, there are products created from that waste.
If there were no demand for meat, there would be no waste. No animal waste, no products made from animal waste

It would help us to not see you as a troll if you provided a reason for not understanding this

I was trying to make sure I understood your point correctly. I said "So if I understand correctly, you're saying food should be the primary concern because most other things made from animals are made from parts of animals left over after the rest of the animal was made into food. Am I understanding correctly?" Note that I didn't say "you're wrong"; I just asked if I understood correctly. Based on your response, I'm going to guess I did understand correctly, but it would be nice if you could confirm that.

Assuming I understood correctly and you were saying the same thing in your previous comment (the one that begins with "Yes. Human history") as you're saying now, I actually think that's a good point. Not sure why you think I don't understand supply and demand.

Now then, how do we know that gelatin is an animal waste product and not something animals are raised primarily for? Do you have a source you can point me to that says this? I'm not saying it's implausible, but I'd like to know for sure by finding a source that's more reliable than Wikipedia.

Reactions: Lou
I'm an anxious and obsessive person who just isn't very good at finding stuff online a lot of the time. I'm sorry I got on your nerves so much; I really didn't mean to. Thank you for the link.

Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou
I'm an anxious and obsessive person who just isn't very good at finding stuff online a lot of the time. I'm sorry I got on your nerves so much; I really didn't mean to. Thank you for the link.
That matters! :hug:
I understand obsessions, but I'm even more used to people that continue to ask circular questions like this just to annoy and somehow prove their point that being vegan is either not possible or hypocritical.
It's okay

When I first when vegan in my twenties I was so overwhelmed with guilt of eating animals, and discovering just how pervasive the use is that it impaired my daily functioning. When I learned I was pregnant I couldn't cope with it and reverted back to eating meat and dairy again, because i was equally obsessive about not eating right for my child.
When I finally decided I had to change things for myself, I commited to simply doing my best, which was to stop eating animal products and --do my best on everything else, like products and shoes....

The main thing I try and focus on is to ask myself the impact my actions will make. Not eating animals makes a big impact, which includes the impact this has on the people I speak with. I may not have turned many vegan, but I have changed peoples habits on preparing meals without meat
Realizing I just ate something with gelatine, honey, or a hidden dairy product I missed on the label, that doesn't really have that much impact. I always mean to read labels, but do miss things, and it's not life changing. I just carry on
Everyone has there own personal limitations. Early on realizing I ate something with an animal product would have really shaken me for some time. I've since learned to be more of a pragmatist about things

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
So....I found a page that says owners of gelatin factories often have their own slaughterhouses that kill animals just for gelatin. However, it's apparently written by the founder of an Indian animal welfare organization. Is gelatin an animal waste product in America but a thing animals are primarily killed for in India?

Please seek treatment for your anxiety and obsessive issues. This is not something you can fix alone.

No. I wouldn’t want to deprive myself of the pleasure of movies and episodes of programmes. Some movies can have good, animal rights messages!
You could, however, campaign to help stop this and make them just use vegan alternatives instead. You could set up a petition and also contact film companies about this. I might also set up a petition about this.
Another thing that I would kindly encourage you to do is to campaign to stop the abuse and killing of animals in the actual making movies, and campaign for them to just use cgi animals (for live-action movies - of course, this wouldn’t be needed for animated movies). I might also set up a petition about this.
Here are some movies that have an animal rights message:
* Bambi.
* The Fox and the Hound.
* Wolfwalkers.
* Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron.
* Charlotte’s Web.
* Babe.
* The Mighty Celt (please be warned - the dog is brutally killed).
* The Plague Dogs (please be warned - an extremely sad movie about dogs that escape from a cruel animal lab).
* Ferdinand.
* Dumbo (the 2019 one delivers a better animal rights message, and they used cgi elephants).
* 101 Dalmatians and 102 Dalmatians.
Thanks.