Should I make my own soymilk?

walterbyrd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I probably use about two quarts, or liters, a week.
Just yesterday, I had to dump four quarts into the compost heap. I buy it for $3.50 for two quart at an Asian market. The price is good, the quality is usually good. But it's a little out of the way, sometimes they don't have it in stock, and trying to stay stocked up is a pain. I can buy Westsoy at Walmart for $4.00 for two quarts, when they have it.

The cost of soymilk is not that big of a deal. But I am finding it a pain to stay stocked. Also Westsoy is a little watery, the stuff I buy at the Asian market makes thicker yogurt. I am thinking homemade may be better quality, and I would not have to make special trips to the store.

About the best price I can find for soybeans is a little over $2 a pound. To get a good price on soybeans, it seems like I have to buy a lot. How much soymilk would a pound of soybeans make? Also, how long do soybeans last?

There are roughly 2 cups (maybe a bit more) of dry beans in a pound, and a liter of soymilk uses 1/2 cup
I have a SoyaJoy machine, and rarely use it anymore as I got tired of straining the okara, and tired of using it! It's great for compost though, and is good in lots of recipes. The additional fiber was getting a bit much for me!

I really stopped when I started making my own soy yogurt--I tried doubling the beans, extra straining, it just comes out really thin! I've been using Trader Joes shelf stable soy milk, or Westsoy when I can't get TJ's and it comes out perfect every time

Do you have a Trader joes? A quart is $1.99, I stock up

Reactions: Lou
I have a soyjoy machine as well, and was having a problem with thin soy milk. I have seen instructions, on youtube, about how to make soymilk with an instant pot, and a vitamix, I have both. Straining is the part I like least. Huge mess.
I will try Trader Joe's, if I get the chance, they are not as convenient as Walmart.
I guess I will get a few soy beans and see how it works for me.

I have a soyjoy machine as well, and was having a problem with thin soy milk. I have seen instructions, on youtube, about how to make soymilk with an instant pot, and a vitamix, I have both. Straining is the part I like least. Huge mess.
I will try Trader Joe's, if I get the chance, they are not as convenient as Walmart.
I guess I will get a few soy beans and see how it works for me.
You tried doubling the beans? Straining is the worst--someone suggested after straining putting the milk in the vitamix, I never even bothered as it just a step too far :joy: .
Trader Joes had a problem with the supplier of the shelf stable milk, and while it seems resolved, I'd call ahead. I was calling them at 5 AM on saturdays and they always answered and checked for me.

I did try adding about 1/4 cup raw cashews, still didn't work for yogurt, but made good milk

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
This looked like the best thread for making soy milk, my first time.
I used the soak, blend, strain, then cook method, which turned out delicious, a blank slate no beany taste, I'm impressed, with raw okara I need to cook yet and I'm not sure how I'll use that.

I strained it through cheese cloth in a colander, over a bowl. There wasn't much clearance so I set the strainer on an upside down glass in the bowl to make it easier.
After squeezing it out a bit, rinsed the cheesecloth like a diaper in the bowl of water in the sink, then hung it on the line. It will take 5 minutes to dry.

We didn't use any soy milk or tofu for our first two years wfpb'ed due to the higher % of calories from fat in it, trying to get blood pressure down (did), reverse heart disease (we think it did), and lose weight (did). Now I'd like to add it back (some what) in but the prices are about $3/qt while making it is more like $ 0.25- 0.30/qt with organic non gmo soybeans.

The next time I try to make it, I'll move the straining to the end, after cooking, because then I don't have to separately cook the okara and see how that works out.

Are there any downsides to straining after cooking in stead of before cooking?
I haven't figured out how I want to use the okara. I have never had it. Any suggestions on how you use it and if you like it?

I drink a lot of soy milk. Two to 4 cups a day .

During the quarantine I would go to the supermarket about every 8 or 9 days, and buy 3 half gallons. One chocolate for my hot chocolate in the morning. One vanilla for drinking plain with cookies. and one plain for everything else. I was still running out.

Trader Joes still doesn't have anything but the shelf stable. And even that supply is inconsistent.

I really thought about making my own. I even spent a lot of time watching videos about the different machines. But I figured that with the machine I would be making soy milk almost every day. and the clean up did scare me off.

I even thought maybe I could just keep some of the mixes on stock for when I ran out.

For now I've settled on buying Silk Plain, a six pack of quarts for $15 from Amazon. I re-order whenever my supply runs low. They have other options too. I stock up on the half gallons when ever I go to the supermarket (they have the lowest prices) . I go to the supermarket just once or twice a month now that the quarantine is over. Instead I get to go to the Farmer's market, Trader Joe's, and/or my local grocery store again.

We have a few threads on the subject.

Reactions: feather
This looked like the best thread for making soy milk, my first time.
I used the soak, blend, strain, then cook method, which turned out delicious, a blank slate no beany taste, I'm impressed, with raw okara I need to cook yet and I'm not sure how I'll use that.

I strained it through cheese cloth in a colander, over a bowl. There wasn't much clearance so I set the strainer on an upside down glass in the bowl to make it easier.
After squeezing it out a bit, rinsed the cheesecloth like a diaper in the bowl of water in the sink, then hung it on the line. It will take 5 minutes to dry.

We didn't use any soy milk or tofu for our first two years wfpb'ed due to the higher % of calories from fat in it, trying to get blood pressure down (did), reverse heart disease (we think it did), and lose weight (did). Now I'd like to add it back (some what) in but the prices are about $3/qt while making it is more like $ 0.25- 0.30/qt with organic non gmo soybeans.

The next time I try to make it, I'll move the straining to the end, after cooking, because then I don't have to separately cook the okara and see how that works out.

Are there any downsides to straining after cooking in stead of before cooking?
I haven't figured out how I want to use the okara. I have never had it. Any suggestions on how you use it and if you like it?
Id never even considered straining before cooking. I wouldn't think it would be as rich, of you just got the milk from blended soaked beans. Id only done ot 2,3 times before getting a machine. I have a Soyajoy, which is great. Still have to strain, but it cooks the beans and blends them, makes about 1 quart

My favorite with okara is Old Bay patties. I must have the ratio somewhere. Okara, oats, some ground flax, minced onions and celery, Old bay or what you like . Let sit, then make patties, cost with crumbs, and bake

Id never even considered straining before cooking. I wouldn't think it would be as rich, of you just got the milk from blended soaked beans. Id only done ot 2,3 times before getting a machine. I have a Soyajoy, which is great. Still have to strain, but it cooks the beans and blends them, makes about 1 quart
True the milk may not be as rich. On the other hand, the okara may be richer.
I made some 'okara oatmeal meatless-balls' using a spice mix we like for an oatmeal 'sausage'. They are baking. I added minced onion as in your suggestion above.

I probably use about two quarts, or liters, a week.
Just yesterday, I had to dump four quarts into the compost heap. I buy it for $3.50 for two quart at an Asian market. The price is good, the quality is usually good. But it's a little out of the way, sometimes they don't have it in stock, and trying to stay stocked up is a pain. I can buy Westsoy at Walmart for $4.00 for two quarts, when they have it.

The cost of soymilk is not that big of a deal. But I am finding it a pain to stay stocked. Also Westsoy is a little watery, the stuff I buy at the Asian market makes thicker yogurt. I am thinking homemade may be better quality, and I would not have to make special trips to the store.

About the best price I can find for soybeans is a little over $2 a pound. To get a good price on soybeans, it seems like I have to buy a lot. How much soymilk would a pound of soybeans make? Also, how long do soybeans last?
You can buy powdered soymilk:

Or, you can freeze your fresh soymilk (though this will change its texture after thawing).

You can buy powdered soymilk:

Or, you can freeze your fresh soymilk (though this will change its texture after thawing).
Have you tried powdered soy milk? Reviews aren't very good. I still remember that box of Carnation instant milk I got when my kids were real little. Awful stuff!

I have frozen soy milk and yes, it does change. I was buying the 2 quart carton of plain Westsoy. I can't remember how it was, I think maybe separated? I did not use it.Maybe if it had additives like carageenan, or gums it would be ok?

Regarding Silk plain shelf stable - worth noting:

Ingredients
'SOYMILK (FILTERED WATER, WHOLE SOYBEANS), CANE SUGAR, SEA SALT, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR. VITAMINS & MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, ZINC GLUCONATE, VITAMIN D2, RIBOFLAVIN (B2), VITAMIN B12.'

• Love
We have a brand we have bought in the US, Eden Soy milk, shelf stable, ingredients: soybeans, water. I try to stay away from all the fortified food, for vitamins, also sugar and salt.

Reactions: walterbyrd
Trader Joe's soy milk also has no added sugar, salt and stuff.

However, I like the added vitamins. calcium, etc. And I guess the sugar and salt improves the flavor too.

I am not all that crazy about all organic, or anything like that. But, I just figured, in a forum like this, it might be worth mentioning.

I used to get Kirkland plain soymilk at Costco. It was much like the shelf stable Silk. But Costco has not carried it in years. Costco only has the vanilla flavored now.

I am not all that crazy about all organic, or anything like that. But, I just figured, in a forum like this, it might be worth mentioning.

I used to get Kirkland plain soymilk at Costco. It was much like the shelf stable Silk. But Costco has not carried it in years. Costco only has the vanilla flavored now.
My sister would get Kirkland plain from Amazon. She would get the 12 pack. It's out of stock at Amazon right now. Maybe a pandemic thing.

Most of the soy milk you find is made from organic non-GMO beans. Kirkland is. and its a good idea to make sure that you get those beans. Non organic GMO bean plants go swimming in Round up.

We have a brand we have bought in the US, Eden Soy milk, shelf stable, ingredients: soybeans, water. I try to stay away from all the fortified food, for vitamins, also sugar and salt.
Also Trader Joes quarts and Westsoy 2 quart , both shelf stable
I stopped buying Eden brand since they refused to have their employees insurance cover birth control.

I've heard Costco is introducing a case of shelf stable quarts of plain soy milk at a good price, organic

Silva, yesterday I made soy milk again, this time cooking before straining. It was good, not appreciably different, but it was better to not have to cook the milk and okara separately. This is how I'll continue to make it. We don't use it much except for cooking, like the rice pudding I make, or a sauce, or baking liquid.