Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This is a very interesting article, from 2 days ago, and it shows how that if farmers would adjust what they are growing / farming then it would benefit them, the animals and consumers.

Opinion: Amid rising demand for Beyond Meat burgers, U.S. farmers can’t solve this supply problem By Vincent H. Smith Published: Oct 1, 2019 10:26 a.m. ET

Soybean farmers can’t just switch to growing yellow peas, the source of Beyond Meat’s pea protein
McDonald’s recently announced that it will test-market a burger using plant protein 28 restaurants in Canada over the next few months. Understandably, the share price of Beyond Meat, the company producing this meat substitute, increased substantially. ..... read the rest by clicking above

• Wow
Reactions: Forest Nymph
Well, maybe some animal farmers will step up and say they'll grow peas. I'm not hopeful for the majority, but there's definitely a possibility that a few might see the light (and the potential profit of a working with Beyond products).

Reactions: Emma JC
This is a very interesting article, from 2 days ago, and it shows how that if farmers would adjust what they are growing / farming then it would benefit them, the animals and consumers.

Oh. I saw that headline in my newsfeed but didn't click on it. I thought it was going to be about something else.

The article does point out some very good points. Maybe the most important is that there is at least a 3 year lag between a conventionally farmed field and a certified organically farmed field. So the supply is automatically un-elastic.

The good news it that peas are nitrogen fixers and many farmers will welcome the opportunity to rotate peas with other crops. Maybe even increase the supply of other organic crops.

Reactions: Emma JC