Shelter dog gets second chance as a movie star

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
“When I saw Aleister and his wonderful scrappy snaggletooth and wiry coat, I loved him and felt, ‘Here’s our hero dog,’” she said.

But Aleister wasn’t the only rescue dog on set.

“When a dog has a movie role as large as the Sorry one, you have to have a couple of different dogs at the ready,” said dog trainer Sarah Clifford.

Clifford scouted local animal shelters in search of doubles for Aleister and brought several dogs to the set, including one she named Mulligan, meaning “second chance,” who served as Aleister’s stunt double.

“Mulligan was rescued from the shelter on the morning he was scheduled to be euthanized,” Clifford said. “He learned the ropes, and was doing takes only two weeks after we took him out of the shelter. Mulligan did the scene where Sorry is crawling down the fire escape and anything else that required a lot of action.”

In addition to Aleister and Mulligan, two other shelter dogs were also involved in the film.

“There was another terrier on-set, a fourth Sorry,” said Scafaria. “They just make the set better. Or maybe I’m a crazy-dog-lady-in-the-making.”

The movie is "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World", and the rest of the article can be read here.

Nice story. :) A lot of dogs and cats who are used in movies and TV apparently come from shelters.

Wonderful wonderful story. There are so many great dogs and cats in shelters.Now I'm looking forward to seeing the film even more than I was before!

Although I don't agree with using animals in the film industry, I still think it is great that he got a second chance at life, especially since he was scheduled to be killed. I would rather have him alive and being somewhat exploited than dead.

Although I don't agree with using animals in the film industry, I still think it is great that he got a second chance at life, especially since he was scheduled to be killed. I would rather have him alive and being somewhat exploited than dead.

I agree ! It is also far better that they 'act' then get beaten or abused by maniacs.

This reminds me of the little pooch that the customs use at LAX Int airport at arrivals. It is always the same one, year after year that sniffs all the hand luggage.
I often wonder whether he gets the appropriate care, attention and excercise. I did query one of the immigration officiers who said he did but I often wonder if it is so ? I beat the urge to give him a pat and a biscuit treat each time.