SCOTUS Rules the Affordable Care Act Constitutional

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
With a 5-4 vote, it was upheld under the Federal Government's right to compel taxation, instead of the Commerce Clause. I'm glad it's been upheld, and it's a step in the right direction, but it's still no single payer system. Also, State participation in medicaid is, and always has been, voluntary. I wonder if some of the red states might try to back out of the system now? Hm. Discuss.

I'm glad it was upheld.I think the law as a whole lacks many of the mechanisms necessary to keep the costs of healthcare in check, but this is a start.

Reactions: kibbleforlola
I think medicaid will go on as it has, not the expanded variety under the health care plan. From what I understand from listening to NPR this morning just after the ruling was made public, that was one of the areas the court seemed to overturn.

I also don't know if it is just the "red" states that were concerned about the medicaid expansion either as many of the "blue" states have horrendous/catastrophic budget problems of their own to deal with. Again from what I understand the medicaid expansion would have ended up costing the states more money being it wasn't fully funded. Being a huge portion of state's budgets is for education I really look at it as education getting the shaft to fund health care. Until the populace is willing to accept more taxation to pay for the services it receives state budgets are at an impasse as their ability to borrow wanes.

The reactions from my conservative friends on Facebook are quite humorous. The United States is apparently a communist country now, and Obama is Hitler.

The reactions from my conservative friends on Facebook are quite humorous. The United States is a apparently a communist country now, and Obama is Hitler.

Even funnier are my catholic friends. (Well, ok, just the one douchebag I have on fb) OH NO THE CHURCH IS BEING PERSECUTED!!! Ummm, yeaaaahh, no.

tumblr_m6c1ko0MJL1ry69bho1_500.jpg

I am almost chocking on my mint after reading spangs and kibbleforLola's posts about this, yes I see some intresting things on facebook with my Conservative Christian friends or the pages I am on really entertaining. I am glad that this was upheld and so people in this country can get into better health. I lost my medicad a few months ago because of some BS .

My only concern is that there are going to be quite a few people who aren't poor enough to get free care but don't have a high enough income to realistically pay for insurance. e.g. those whose income is 134% of the poverty line. (the cut off is 133%)

My only concern is that there are going to be quite a few people who aren't poor enough to get free care but don't have a high enough income to realistically pay for insurance. e.g. those whose income is 134% of the poverty line. (the cut off is 133%)

With so much opposition and a lot at stake, it's probably wise to go for small steps and then increase their reach. Kind of like New Welfare: Politician Edition.

From tumblr:

tumblr_m6chrwHMjo1qzuc78o1_500.jpg

I heard a peal of delight and turned around — that’s the picture at the top of this post. Hilary Matfess, a young policy analyst, was jumping up and down, yelling out details.​
“The mandate is constitutional! It was upheld! Roberts went for the swing vote! Yes! Oh my God! The individual mandate survives as a tax!”​
Did you work on passing the bill? I asked.​
“No!” said Matfess. “I just have lupus!” - David Weigel at Slate​

If Republican Americans want to move to Canada because they'll now have less expensive health care, where do they think they're moving to?

In any case, we have lots of space here.....up North! :D

Reactions: Second Summer
Friend on Facebook: "Any one know where I can get an affordable house in Australia?"
Told her about Australia's universal healthcare system. She's going to stay in Texas.

I don't think these people realize that the United States is the only developed country that does not provide healthcare to its citizens. And the Affordable Care Act does not change this.