Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
from yesterday's news.... https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/08/lar...e-caused-romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak.html

Large cattle farm may have caused romaine lettuce E. coli outbreak

Zlati Meyer
Published 12:25 PM ET Wed, 8 Aug 2018

This spring's large E. coli outbreak caused by tainted romaine lettuce may have been caused by a large industrial farm.

That's according to a new Food and Drug Administration hypothesis.

A concentrated animal feeding operation, or CAFO, is near a canal whose water came in contact with the affected romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region, the FDA said. The water may have been used for irrigation, and sample testing revealed in June that it was tainted with E. coli O157:H7 that had the same genetic fingerprint as the outbreak strain.

Read the rest at the link provided.

This is crazy and sad and annoying etc.

Emma JC

This is crazy and sad and annoying etc.
Emma JC

Yes. but it's not surprising. If I was sent to search for the source I would look upstream first. Oh, look, cows.
Maybe the only surprising thing is that this doesn't happen more often.

Maybe its sort of cosmic karma. The cows are now killing people.

Great. I want to look into growing leafies in a lawn or window box. People should be free to have spinach, lettuce and scallions without e coli.

I think all lettuce should be veganic. It's super cheap anyway, I would pay fifty cent more to avoid cow dung.

That's why Taco Bell doesn't sell scallions anymore, cross contamination. They're American Vegetarian certified but you can't get green onions on your tostada since like 1995.

Reactions: kelli and Emma JC
Already knew it was contamination from the animal farms nearby. I don't know why no one thought of this earlier. I've noticed it's usually the same companies that get their veggies recalled as well so I avoid those specific brands.