Rice cooker vs. slow cooker, help me cooks!

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I found a recipe I want to try that calls for a rice cooker. It says to sauté the veggies on the sauté setting, then change to slow cooker setting for the rest of the recipe. Is there any reason I couldn't sauté the veggies on the stove, then finish in a slow cooker? I have 4 Crockpots but no rice cooker.

I've never seen a rice cooker with a saute setting, and I've owned two. All they are is a slightly different version of slow cooker, intended for cooking rice (which is why the saute setting bothers me - shouldn't be on a cooker intended for rice). I used mine to cook rice while I was at work so I'd have it ready when I got home - at that time I was married to a girl with oriental roots and she liked rice with every meal.

You can do the saute any way you please, and then move to the slow cooker. Or if your slow cooker has a high setting you can saute in it and then turn it down.

I'm a professionally trained cook - so you can trust me.

Last edited:
I'm not a professionally trained cook but it sounds about right to me. :)

Reactions: ledboots
Thanks all! I thought the slow cook function should be the same on both but wasn't sure. It would be nice to have one appliance that does it all to save on dirty dishes, but I'm not going to buy a rice cooker just for that.