Replacing coconut oil?

SummerRain

I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Reaction score
Okay, I know coconut oil is the new black. But say I'm some sort of health-hating-skin-flint moron that doesn't want to fork out for coconut oil :p, but I've fell in love with some delicious looking recipes that use it. How easy is it to replace? What is best to replace it with?

For example with this recipe: http://userealbutter.com/2013/10/18/tahini-date-salted-caramels-recipe/

Although this comes up surprisingly often in my life, so any hints for other types of food would be appreciate also.

It really does depend on the type of recipe you are going to make as coconut oil gives a dense end result. In this particular recip there is a small amount and date paste is already very thick. I would just use normal vegan margerine and some ground almonds.
I hardly ever buy coconut oil as you can only find in in Organic shops over here and it is far too pricy.

Reactions: SummerRain
Interesting recipe! I just happen to have coconut oil and medjool dates, too.
I particularly like the honest commentary at the end..."do they taste like caramels? No!"
I hate when someone tries to pass off something as tasting like something else. You end up being disappointed. I much rather know up front that the end result will be different. Good but different. I can handle that.

I am amazed at how good they look. Looks like perfect little caramel squares. The worst drawback to me attempting these? I hate working with a food processor. :blush:

I like that kinda honesty too, moreover, I love dates :D

Shyvas - ah cool thanks, I've never used coconut oil before, so I don't really know what kind of substance I'm trying to replicate if you know what I mean. How about coconut oil in a cake, would vegan margarine / shortening work okay for that too?

:D
I like that kinda honesty too, moreover, I love dates :D

Shyvas - ah cool thanks, I've never used coconut oil before, so I don't really know what kind of substance I'm trying to replicate if you know what I mean. How about coconut oil in a cake, would vegan margarine / shortening work okay for that too?

They could all be used as a substitute for baking if the recipe calls for coconut oil.

I was just wondering why you were using recipes that have coconut oil if you're not planning on using it ?

I make date bars with roughly the same method as the caramel ones and I use cashew butter instead of tahini.

Well I'm not using them, but lately I've seen lots of recipes on pinterest/food blogs that look really good but use coconut oil. I'm never sure if coconut oil is integral, or if it's just being used as a healthier fat and substituting it with any old fat would work just as well. If it's a straightforward substitution, I'll save some of the recipes that look good, and make them. If it isn't, I'll ignore them :p

Well I'm not using them, but lately I've seen lots of recipes on pinterest/food blogs that look really good but use coconut oil. I'm never sure if coconut oil is integral, or if it's just being used as a healthier fat and substituting it with any old fat would work just as well. If it's a straightforward substitution, I'll save some of the recipes that look good, and make them. If it isn't, I'll ignore them :p

It does have a high smoking point and is regarded as a 'healthy' fat. It also has a nice sweet taste to it. If you use vegan butter or other oils you will obtain the same results.

I like to use olive oil for baking or non dairy margerine. Sometimes, I sometimes add soya cream to my recipe especially when making muffins.

:D

I make date bars with roughly the same method as the caramel ones and I use cashew butter instead of tahini.
So glad to hear this. I don't like tahini much and was wondering if I could use something else. I love cashew butter! I might even have a little left in the back of the fridge.

So glad to hear this. I don't like tahini much and was wondering if I could use something else. I love cashew butter! I might even have a little left in the back of the fridge.

I make date and cashew butter bars with a bit of vanilla extract. Just roll them into bars and leave them to dry out
on a wire rack. You can either wrap them individually in greasproof paper and store in the fridge or freeze them.

Reactions: KLS52