Replacing Calcium & Protein-Dairy Milk

Beans have a lot of iron that blocks calcium absorption - not that beans have any calcium to begin with! I don't want to go down the path about how much you like beans haha.
Digitarian, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians - states that beans are a suitable source of calcium: Food Sources of 5 Important Nutrients for Vegetarians

Digitarian, you are spreading misinformation, and not for the first time on this forum. You have been reported to the moderators.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Brian W
Digitarian, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians - states that beans are a suitable source of calcium: Food Sources of 5 Important Nutrients for Vegetarians

Digitarian, you are spreading misinformation, and not for the first time on this forum. You have been reported to the moderators.
I took nutrition - 10-20% of your daily value per cup is not considered to be a really 'suitable' or even a 'good' source of calcium - especially compared to the other ones I've mentioned. A good source would be closer to 30% - because we eat 3 meals a day. I think I'll report you to moderators. If moderators don't believe me, I shouldn't be on the forum.

I took nutrition - 10-20% of your daily value per cup is not considered to be a really 'suitable' or even a 'good' source of calcium
Digitarian, you have posted misinformation again.

Per the U.S. Food & Drug Administration:

"(c) "Good Source" claims. (1) The terms "good source," "contains," or "provides" may be used on the label and in the labeling of foods, except meal products as defined in § 101.13(l) and main dish products as defined in § 101.13(m), provided that the food contains 10 to 19 percent of the RDI or the DRV per reference amount customarily consumed.

Link: CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21

Digitarian, you have posted misinformation again.

Per the U.S. Food & Drug Administration:

"(c) "Good Source" claims. (1) The terms "good source," "contains," or "provides" may be used on the label and in the labeling of foods, except meal products as defined in § 101.13(l) and main dish products as defined in § 101.13(m), provided that the food contains 10 to 19 percent of the RDI or the DRV per reference amount customarily consumed.

Link: CFR - Code of Federal Regulations Title 21
I learned it was 30% in school and it seems like it's outdated (which can happen a lot in nutritional law) or I was given false information. That doesn't mean it's misinformation, which is "false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive." - it's outdatedfalse information. If I'm wrong - feel free to correct me - rather than report it (I mean you're still able to) - so that I know - as reporting me doesn't help me know better. Just like how I corrected you on what the definition of misinformation is and you updated me on the most current laws, I feel we can update our posts, so that inaccuracies are removed - which I feel is better for the public anyway - as they may have the same misconceptions too. Then we can help everyone out to be more productive (imo)!

Was there anything else I was incorrect on that you'd like to correct?

poppy, sesame, mustard, and herbs (basil, parsley, etc.) have the most calcium. How I got my calcium on my diet - was by growing my own basil and eating it for breakfast. The issue with plant-based milks is that the calcium is added in - so the body has a harder time absorbing it - Dr Greger talked about how this leads to more heart attacks, as calcium is in plaque.

Vegan foods have the most calcium of any food - and that's barley grass powder! Wheatgrass is high too, but 1lb of barley grass I believe gives you 16g of calcium - your body only needs 2g each day! If you want to replace plant milks, go green!
everything I say is easy to find a source for on the internet - if you want to source my info, go ahead. However, a lack of evidence is an Argumentum Ad Ignorantiam logical fallacy. If you don't want to listen to me just because I don't post sources, that's your choice. However, I feel you should look into what I say to understand where I come from before me coming up with sources, as if you don't believe me right now, I don't see how anything I say will be believed. Regardless of believed or not, these are my opinions and the facts I've seen from what I know - and I'll continue to write what I feel, regardless of people's emotions - as other people's emotions are irrelevant to what is in me to say. That said, if I'm incorrect, feel free to correct me - I just hope you don't get angry at me just because you haven't verified something - my hope is that you'd use the energy to double check with your own sources :). Hope we can work this out, so you'll feel better.
Fresh Parsley -- 8% per CUP of raw parsley
Poppy seeds- 13% per Tblsp. That's good, if you really really like poppy seeds
Fresh basil- 1/4 cup 1%
Sesame seeds - 8% per Tblsp
Mustard seeds-- 1% per Tblsp

...and please stop referring to Dr Greger as you mash up so much of his research.
No one is not listening to you because you don't post sources. Most everyone here has done their research, and are known to verify before posting

Beans have a lot of iron that blocks calcium absorption
What I usually read is that it's the other way around - that calcium blocks iron absorption.

This is speculation on my part, but I think the reason for this is that there is usually a lot more calcium than iron in foods (and our requirements for calcium are also much higher), so when iron binds to calcium and becomes in-absorbable, there is still a lot more calcium left in the food - the amount that binds to iron is almost insignificant compared to the amount of calcium available.

That said, I have also read that the effect of such "anti-nutrients" is often exaggerated in the media / blogosphere, and in any case that any anti-nutrient effect in otherwise healthy vegan foods (fruit, vegetables, fortified plant milks etc) is greatly outweighed by the many health benefits.

Reactions: Brian W
What I usually read is that it's the other way around - that calcium blocks iron absorption.

This is speculation on my part, but I think the reason for this is that there is usually a lot more calcium than iron in foods (and our requirements for calcium are also much higher), so when iron binds to calcium and becomes in-absorbable, there is still a lot more calcium left in the food - the amount that binds to iron is almost insignificant compared to the amount of calcium available.

That said, I have also read that the effect of such "anti-nutrients" is often exaggerated in the media / blogosphere, and in any case that any anti-nutrient effect in otherwise healthy vegan foods (fruit, vegetables, fortified plant milks etc) is greatly outweighed by the many health benefits.
I think it's good for everyone (omnis and vegs alike) to be mindful of what they eat, but one could drive themselves crazy thinking too much about it.

Back around when I first became vegetarian, "Diet For A Small Planet", by Frances Lappe, was published. She described how the body could often use protein from plant sources more efficiently if different foods (for examples, grains and legumes) were eaten at the same meal. But it turned out that most people don't have to worry about that: so long as we eat a variety of foods throughout the day, we're almost certain to get all the essential amino acids we need (unless we either don't eat enough food in general, or follow a very unusual/restricted diet).

This is why so many were frustrated with digitarian. It was obvious that they've read up on nutrition,but got the information completely conflated!
You are correct--

Anti nutrients are used by shills like Grundy. Lectins and phytates are dealt with in cooking,and have nutritional benefits of their own.
The ones they referred as being used by plants are also negated from proper cooking, or washing.

As far as I know that is right.

I actually hadn't heard about that. What I have heard is that it isn't as big a deal if you are eating a variety of real whole foods. I think it should be considered if you have a deficiency or some kind of issue with absorption. Especially it should be considered when taking supplements. For instance, don't take your calcium supplement at the same time as your iron supplement. and maybe don't have your iron supplement with a glass of milk. Have it with a glass of orange juice instead - but not a calcium fortified OJ. And not with a cup of coffee or tea - both can significantly reduce iron absorption.

Granted the media does often report things incorrectly or exaggerate. but there are real issues. In one study a cup of coffee reduced iron absorbing by as much as 90%. But like I said, for most healthy people these aren't that much to worry about. But if you are taking supplements or have deficiencies you should keep these kinds of things in mind.

• Informative
As far as I know that is right.

I actually hadn't heard about that. What I have heard is that it isn't as big a deal if you are eating a variety of real whole foods. I think it should be considered if you have a deficiency or some kind of issue with absorption. Especially it should be considered when taking supplements. For instance, don't take your calcium supplement at the same time as your iron supplement. and maybe don't have your iron supplement with a glass of milk. Have it with a glass of orange juice instead - but not a calcium fortified OJ. And not with a cup of coffee or tea - both can significantly reduce iron absorption.

Granted the media does often report things incorrectly or exaggerate. but there are real issues. In one study a cup of coffee reduced iron absorbing by as much as 90%. But like I said, for most healthy people these aren't that much to worry about. But if you are taking supplements or have deficiencies you should keep these kinds of things in mind.

the tannins in teas block iron absorption.

• Informative
The challenge about quitting dairy products is withdrawal symptoms due to dependency on casein and casomorphine to name a few.

Reactions: Lou