Remember Kashi original grain pilaf?

David3

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Anyone remember the Kashi original 7-grain pilaf? Now Kashi sells its ready-to-eat cereal, but I remember boiling the original pilaf in the early 90s. Very chewy and good! I used to add it to canned lentil soup, or I would eat it with brown sugar (like very, very chewy oatmeal).

1622438004242.png

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Lou
We have a similar multi grain product without the oats over here. The only drawback that the have a strange taste once they are cooked. It's due to them being cooked in the same pot just like vegetables. They both taste much better when cooked separately.

Reactions: David3
There was some scuttlebutt about Kashi years ago. Some testing agency found they had high levels of GMOs and herbicides in their cereal. That was a while back, Maybe they fixed it.

There was some scuttlebutt about Kashi years ago. Some testing agency found they had high levels of GMOs and herbicides in their cereal. That was a while back, Maybe they fixed it.
That’s strange, because very few grains are available as GMO. I’ll check it out.

That makes sense. Some of Kashi’s products contain corn ingredients, and much of the USA’s corn is GMO.
in the 2012 report it was the soy that was GMO.
I don't think much of the USA's corn is GMO. I think its all hybridized.
But much of the USA's soy is GMO. there is the whole thing about roundup resistant soy. That is what they grow in this country for livestock feed. Most of the soy we get for tofu and milk is non-GMO and organic. And of course they found round up in Kashi's cereal as well.
I must have stopped buying Kashi back then - I think I did like the Go Lean product.
I think since then Kashi must have gone organic and Non-GMO. but from the press release they didn't go 100%.

I also remember a report that stated they found glycophospahte in oatmeal. so non organic oats are also worrisome.