Quotes for Compassion...

Trinity

YES!
Reaction score
Please post any quotes for compassion, love for sentient life here...

I'll start off with one of my faves:

"Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace."

Albert Schweitzer, French Nobel Peace Prize-winning mission doctor and theologian (1875-1965)

"Remember that when you leave this earth
you can taken nothing of what you have received,
but only what you have a given:
a full heart, enriched by honest service,
love, sacrifice, and courage."

Saint Francis of Assisi (1181 - 1226)

Reactions: KLS52
“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
Albert Einstein.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I would rather make mistakes in kindness and compassion than work miracles in unkindness and hardness.
~Mother Teresa~

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
~Leo Buscaglia~

I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics.
--Albert Schweitzer

Reactions: KLS52 and Trinity
"for there is nothing heavier than compassion. Not even one's own pain weighs so heavy as the pain one feels with someone, for someone, a pain intensified by the imagination and prolonged by a hundred echoes."
~Milan Kundera~

Let us not underestimate how hard it is to be compassionate. Compassion is hard because it requires the inner disposition to go with others to place where they are weak, vulnerable, lonely, and broken. But this is not our spontaneous response to suffering. What we desire most is to do away with suffering by fleeing from it or finding a quick cure for it.
~Henri J.M. Nouwen~

• "We often think of peace as the absence of war; that if the powerful countries would reduce their arsenals, we could have peace. But if we look deeply into the weapons, we see our own minds - our prejudices, fears, and ignorance.
    Even if we transported all the bombs to the moon, the roots of war and the reasons for bombs would still be here, in our hearts and minds, and sooner or later we would make new bombs.

Seek to become more aware of what causes anger and separation, and what overcomes them. Root out the violence in your life, and learn to live compassionately and mindfully."

Thich Nhat Hanh

Reactions: PTree15
"True compassion is more than throwing a coin to a beggar.
It demands of our humanity that if we live in a society that produces beggars,
we are morally commanded to restructure that society."

Martin Luther King Jr

“The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat,
known suffering, known struggle,
known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.
These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity,
and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion,
gentleness, and a deep loving concern.”

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

Reactions: KLS52
guzaqa6u.jpg

"I must learn to love the fool in me--the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled, masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of my human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my Fool." ~Theodore Isaac Rubin~

Reactions: Clueless Git
"Any good achieved by violence is temporary but the damage it does is permanent" ~Gandhi

I do like that one but it has a gap; If the temporary good achieved by an act of violence is so great that it outweighs the permanent damage so caused then that violence would be justified.

Last edited: