Problem with telling family I don't eat meat

Aljona

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Pescetarian
Hello! I'm here to share my bad experience with telling my mom I don't eat meat. I do eat some fish time to time, cut down on other types of animal food. Recently, I told about that my mom and her reaction shocked me. She said I should start to eat meat again, because it's not healthy and it's not right (she mentioned Bible). She almost didn't give me to explain anything and had no argument to her opinions. I told that I feel so good when I don't eat meat, but she said it was just my obsession and I am not mentally healthy: " It's not normal to care about what you eat !" Also, she told that she was so upset and my children will be sick and silly. Now, she doesn't want to talk to me. It didn't change my opinion about my lifestyle, but I am so sad, that my family wants me to follow their opinions without seeing me happy doing my thing. Thank you for reading!

Hello! I'm here to share my bad experience with telling my mom I don't eat meat. I do eat some fish time to time, cut down on other types of animal food. Recently, I told about that my mom and her reaction shocked me. She said I should start to eat meat again, because it's not healthy and it's not right (she mentioned Bible). She almost didn't give me to explain anything and had no argument to her opinions. I told that I feel so good when I don't eat meat, but she said it was just my obsession and I am not mentally healthy: " It's not normal to care about what you eat !" Also, she told that she was so upset and my children will be sick and silly. Now, she doesn't want to talk to me. It didn't change my opinion about my lifestyle, but I am so sad, that my family wants me to follow their opinions without seeing me happy doing my thing. Thank you for reading!
Hi Aljona,

Estonian cuisine is centered on meat, so I understand why you are experiencing problems.

You could let your mother know that the Finnish Food Authority has stated that properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets are healthy:

The Estonian health ministry hasn't published any statement or guide on vegetarian nutrition.

Hi Aljona,

Estonian cuisine is centered on meat, so I understand why you are experiencing problems.

You could let your mother know that the Finnish Food Authority has stated that properly-planned vegetarian / vegan diets are healthy:

The Estonian health ministry hasn't published any statement or guide on vegetarian nutrition.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: David3
I'm so sorry your mom responded this way. Hopefully, she will come to understand. For people, and I guess more so for older people, they have become so entrenched in the idea that eating animal products is normal that to them anything other than that seems weird. I hope you also become vegan! Take care 💜

Reactions: Emma JC and Aljona
Why would Christians believe that it's wrong to not eat meat? I know that they believe that it's ok to eat meat, but they think it's bad not to now?

I'm so sorry your mom responded this way. Hopefully, she will come to understand. For people, and I guess more so for older people, they have become so entrenched in the idea that eating animal products is normal that to them anything other than that seems weird. I hope you also become vegan! Take care 💜
Thank you so much for support! ❤️ Yes, I think, veganism is the best lifestyle for the whole world and human health if it's planned properly. Hope, some day it wouldn't be so hard to be vegan and still have normal relationship with family.

Why would Christians believe that it's wrong to not eat meat? I know that they believe that it's ok to eat meat, but they think it's bad not to now?
It's not bad, and far not all Christians think it's bad. But some people are very keen on fact from Bible that people were allowed to eat meat and think it's the only right way.

There has been a lot of discussions here on the VF. I am disinterested in religioun so I don't pay much attention but you might want to take a look at them. there might be some info you can take back to your parents.

However, I am a big fan of compassion. and I watched this video a while back. You might want to check it out

Reactions: Emma JC and Aljona
There has been a lot of discussions here on the VF. I am disinterested in religioun so I don't pay much attention but you might want to take a look at them. there might be some info you can take back to your parents.

However, I am a big fan of compassion. and I watched this video a while back. You might want to check it out

Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Thank you so much for support! ❤️ Yes, I think, veganism is the best lifestyle for the whole world and human health if it's planned properly. Hope, some day it wouldn't be so hard to be vegan and still have normal relationship with family.
You're so welcome! It's so sad that choosing to not contribute to the abuse and killing of innocent animals would make your family react this way! I'd just go vegan regardless. You'd be doing such a good thing for the animals your health and the planet. People often are disgruntled, critical, and defensive even, when you start acting in a way that puts into question their own choices in regards to ethics. If they love you that's not going to change if you adopt a vegan lifestyle. Even though they might have some misguided unempathetic reactions to it. 💜

Last edited:
welcome to the forum @Aljona

So sorry you had this reaction from your family and we have had many discussions on the forum about this issue.

I would suggest that you try not to have heated discussions with her and lead by example. Make great hearty meals with lots of beans and veggies and the same spices that they use in their meat dishes and share when/where you can.

Showing compassion to her, like you do to the animals and not engaging in the anger might help her to be calmer about it. Time will show her that you are healthy and happy and whole!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com