Prenatal vitamins

LilAnn

Newcomer
Reaction score
A few years ago, the last time I was pregnant I continued taking my prenatal vitamins after my baby was born. I can feel the difference between before I started taking them and now. I also found out that if you ask anyone for some they'll give them out like candy. Will the prenatal vitamin be enough on its own or should I pick out each individual vitamin or supplement and take a cocktail?

It has been shown (though I can not for the life of me remember where, so can't link you to it) that it is better to work out what it is you are missing from your diet, what your body is low on, and take specific vitamins for that. The reasoning behind this is that some vitamins actually interfere with the absorption of others and some need to be taken in unison to get the best benefit from them. Therefore it is better to look into the problem and read up, rather than simply taking the generalised random scatter approach of trying to cover everything but actually missing out on what you need. The result is that you may find that you need to take calcium, magnesium and say boron in the morning and a particular vitamin later on, say at lunchtime for your body to get the best absorption of all of them.

However, unless you have a specific medical condition that needs additional very high mineral levels (such as treating osteoporosis without the use of 'medical drugs'), you would be better off addressing your diet and working out why you are lacking in a certain area. Also bear in mind that a lot of vitamin and mineral tablets are not vegetarian let alone vegan (you are posting in the vegan area here, not vegetarian) so taking 'handouts' of multivits you have no way of knowing if they meet your vegan diet and few multivits do!

Reactions: Damo
I honestly never considered the possibility that my vitamins aren't vegan. You see, THIS is why I'm here. There are a lot of these tips that I would have never thought to look up.

I honestly never considered the possibility that my vitamins aren't vegan. You see, THIS is why I'm here. There are a lot of these tips that I would have never thought to look up.

I don't know where you are located though I know a friend that uses these sometimes...