Pregnancy

hermy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a 35-year-old woman from Switzerland. I've been vegan for 8.5 years. I'm pregnant with my second child (I wasn't vegan during my first pregnancy). I'm in the early stages of pregnancy and I have my first appointment next week. I'm thrilled, of course. I'm worried that my doctor will ask me about my diet and will make me switch to a vegetarian or omnivore diet. I'm very happy to be a vegan. Of course, I'm taking prenatal vitamins at the moment. Does anybody have experiences to share? Thanks!

Let's not borrow trouble. Don't worry about what your doctor says till s/he says it.
We have all heard the stories about doctors and dieticians who were not vegan friendly. But I think the times they are a-changing. I met a doctor and a dietician last year who applauded my veganism.

I've seen and participated in a few threads with pregnant mothers but as far as I know, they aren't active anymore. Vegmama was the last member I talked to about pregnancy.

Asking for advice is great. Listening to suggestions is a good idea. But be discriminating about following advice. Although I would put a lot of trust in your ObGyn.

There are some blogs and youtube channels done by vegan mothers. You should search and find some. Maybe there are even some from Switzerland.

I'm not an expert on YouTube or pregnancies but I think that in the US the two most popular vegan mommas are SweetPotatoSoul and Unnatural Vegan. Alicia Silverstone has a blog and has published several books. Alicia's books have gotten mixed reviews. the criticism is more about style than substance.

If you still have your books from your last pregnancy, it would probably be a good idea to reread or at least review them. I bet there will be some stuff that looks different from your vegan perspective.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
welcome to the forum and congrats on being pregnant and for your choice of veganism!

There are a lot of vegan moms out there, on YouTube and with blogs etc. Ellen Fisher being just one of them, Sweet Potato Soul being another and I am sure if you google it you will find more. From what I have watched of them, being pregnant and raising their children vegan, eating a healthy balanced diet and staying in shape are the important factors, as with all pregnancies. Ellen just recently had her fourth child and even her birthing experience was amazing and there is a video out there that you can watch. Family Fizz also has videos of their vegan children being born and although I don't agree with all their food choices (a fair amount of junk food), they are a kind and generous family who have been vegan for 8-10 years now and I do enjoy following along in their lives.

I hope this is helpful for you and we look forward to following along on your journey. Please feel free to share details as it is very helpful to others.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou and KLS52