PeTA ruined my life.

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Let's travel back into time. Way back, 35 years ago. PeTA looked like a bunch of crazy spoiled animal rights advocates with nothing better to do with their lives.

If animals rights really was an issue, scientists would have published research. Governments would have done something about it.

A major concern of the day was Gobal Dimming. Scientist had clear and compelling evidence of an imminent apocalyptic prophesy that foretells mother earth transforming into an icecube.

The media outlets broadcasted concerns about trouble in the Middle East, war, starvation, disease, government debt, bank failures, the stock market, an oil shortage, and human rights abuses.

I prefer advocating for issues that I can personally do nothing about. I like those issues that require no lifestyle changes on my part. I want tax some rich guy, criticize a foreign government, or wear a t-shirt with a peace symbol ☮️.

PeTA messed my life. I now realize that I can make a difference by changing my own lifestyle. This had got to be the most inconvenient cause ever. I have to make a personal change in my behaviour instead of signing a petition. No wonder everybody hates PeTA.

Let us think about the implications.

Will we need to recycle by shopping at Goodwill? Will need to start living within our means to save the environment? Will we need to give up retail therapy? Will we need to stop purchasing $6 cups of Starbucks Coffee. (Wait a minute I thought Starbucks was good because the cups are made from 90% post consumer waste.)

I wish I could just put on a BLM t-shirt and call it a day. Let's face it. Being politically correct is much easier than actually making lifestyle choices and caring about others.

By the way, make sure you purchase your BLM t-shirt from an approved vendor with a license to sell official BLM products. ‘Black Lives Matter’ See the following link for more details: Wine? Teddy Bears? Trademark Law Shows You Can’t Always ‘Just Do It’

Last edited:
ALL lives matter not just B's So that, in the end, was just an article to promote BLM, the movement that wants to get rid of just about every organisation in the country, you know police, government etc, and presumably rule the country and even the world all by themselves! That's, of course, if the muslims don't get there first! The first part of the article was amusing, pretty much what most people just want to do but then it got political and that's a no no. These forums are not for that sort of thing. I wonder how it got past the censors. j

ALL lives matter not just B's So that, in the end, was just an article to promote BLM, the movement that wants to get rid of just about every organisation in the country, you know police, government etc, and presumably rule the country and even the world all by themselves! That's, of course, if the muslims don't get there first! The first part of the article was amusing, pretty much what most people just want to do but then it got political and that's a no no. These forums are not for that sort of thing. I wonder how it got past the censors.

The Black Lives Matter movement seems to be Very misunderstood... Yes, ALL lives matter - however, racism exists and the BLM movement has brought racism into the spotlight... For myself - as an older white woman I have not experienced racism... Ageism and sexism, yes that I have experienced... Until the murder of George Floyd this year racism was not really something that I gave much thought to because I don’t think of myself as racist... Now I am able to see that White Privilege is real... That is not to say that white people are not discriminated against, it is just that for people of colour discrimination is based on the colour of their skin... As humans we are All equal... As a Vegan I truly believe that All lives matter, however, I am able to understand what the BLM movement are doing... Perhaps Jon you were trying to just be funny with what you wrote...For me though it came across as fearful, especially when you mentioned “ if the muslims don’t get there first!”
Diversity in our cultures and religious or spiritual beliefs exist - lack of respect and tolerance towards other people only creates divisions...

Always reminded, and dismayed, that no matter how intelligent, educated, or reasonable a person can seem in so many different aspects in their thought processes, they can still prove to be conforming two faced bigots in other areas.

We're so critical of omnivores that can't see beyond loving their cute animals they have as pets, and killing the others.
Vegans can be just as blind in their own human interactions.

This is all I'm going to say here.

"Vegans can be just as blind in their own human interactions." - Silva

Of course, I am blind to my own human interactions. Please do not awake me to my prejudices and unreasonable biases. Ignorance is bliss. I do not want to think about how purchasing an iPhone helped trash the environment. I also do not want to contemplate how my needed and well-deserved 350-mile road trip to Disneyland contributed to global warming.

Of course they can be, being vegan just means you refrain from using animal products. There is no "all vegans must do this", or "all vegans must think this way", other than not exploiting animals.
Just like how a vegan doesn't have to eat healthier just because they are vegan, supporting other movements is separate from veganism.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeganDawn
Of course they can be, being vegan just means you refrain from using animal products. There is no "all vegans must do this", or "all vegans must think this way", other than not exploiting animals.
Just like how a vegan doesn't have to eat healthier just because they are vegan, supporting other movements is separate from veganism.
So very true Danielle.
The one principle we must bear in mind is healthy dietary reform. Healthy, that is, for humans, all other creatures and the planet as a whole. People's other predilections, political leanings and affiliations must be set aside in our focused effort to bring about sane dietary reform. Far from being against one political movement or another—or, for that matter, supporting any one of them vocally, we must learn to accept these differences and not conflate them with veganism. I admire certain individuals who are hated by other vegans. Similarly, I despise other individuals who are lauded by fellow vegans. If we allow such differences to identify us, we will effectively nullify the good work we do otherwise to promote dietary reform. One end of the social or political spectrum will identify vegans with left-wing crazies while another will identify some of us with fascist fanatics wanting to impose our dictatorial views on food reform. We cannot win a battle or persuade anybody unless we are tolerant of disparate beliefs.
I hear vegans railing all the time against Trump, Chritians, Muslims, Jews, Straight couples, Men, and so on and so on. Fine, if that is what they think. But they make the weird and stupid presumption that all fellow vegans are also against Trump, Chritians, Muslims, Jews, Straight couples, Men, and so on . . . But nothing could be further from the truth than that. We all come from different backgrounds and have different psychological make up which predisposes us in certain ways—often in a most complex manner. Some of us have come to our beliefs after many decades of contemplation and are happy with our world view which we have arrived at after deep consideration and long research. When somebody comes telling us that to be truly vegan we must abandon our political and social sympathies, we naturally feel aggrieved. When they go around antagonising others in that way, they do enormous damage by depicting the vegan movement as being in opposition to many people's firmly-held beliefs.
We must embrace all people and try to persude them and eventually also convince them that dietary reform is relevant to them and at the same time central to all right-thinking beliefs they hold whether we share them personally or not. Vegan fascists and vegan communists and vegan trannies and vegan pro-lifers (and all other shades of opinion) are all brothers and sisters in the wider vegan community. And, as such, are equally welcome in my home. I appreciate that all beliefs have origins and meaning and may be compatible with principles of dietary reform leading to adoption of veganism.
My very best wishes
Jeremy

Going back to the original posting. What has politics got to do with Veganism or animals. Anyone who wants to support the BLM is a nutter. It's a self professed organisation based on lunatic ideas, years out of date policies and only supports one section of the population. Someone had the idea of forming a WLM but got slated as racist whereas the BLM didn't. There's a Black Police Organisation but no White Police Organisation because it would be racist! The list goes on and on. So can we please stop debating anything about politics unless it somehow relates to Veganism in some obscure way.