Parents planning to slaughter animals

Liberation4all

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My parents are supportive enough but won't even consider using vegan alternatives to butter/cooking oil. Like I understand they don't have to be vegan they have a choice but it breaks my heart because I care about them so much but they're slowly killing themselves and taking countless other lives. When asked to consider trying meat alternatives they flat out refuse because they "love meat", I asked again that if I was able to find ones that seemed exactly the same as meat would they consider it then? No. They then told me in the future they will slaughter their own animals for meat.

To actually be so morally wrecked to be able to take an innocent animal's life is a lot bigger to me than just buying meat at a shop.

I have made it clear that if this was to happen I would no longer consider myself their daughter.

Any advice/tips for my situation? Many thanks

You're not going to like my advice. You are overreacting. You only have the power to change your own life. For example, I watched my mother smoke my entire life until I had to watch her die of lung cancer. She knew how I felt about her smoking habit but continued to smoke anyway. Point being, be the change you want to see in others. Only the others have to power to change themselves. The example you are setting will either work on them or it won't. Good luck.

Well done for going vegan first of all. How long have you been vegan.

Keep in mind that an extreme attitude like this may lead to more animal cruelty, because people will write off vegans as overly radical.

You are trying to get results too fast. Be more patient. Work on them steadily, more gently. Over a period of many years. Maybe eventually you can get them to go mostly vegetarian or cut down certain things.

But don't obsess all your energies are trying to convince 1 or 2 people either. If you feel that passionately about it, try on others instead.

See it from their point of view also. They are likely very upset with what you just said.

You are too young to be finished forming all your beliefs in life. A better thing to say them would be to explain that there will always be some kind of distance between you and them, but try to avoid cutting off entirely.

You're not going to like my advice. You are overreacting. You only have the power to change your own life. For example, I watched my mother smoke my entire life until I had to watch her die of lung cancer. She knew how I felt about her smoking habit but continued to smoke anyway. Point being, be the change you want to see in others. Only the others have to power to change themselves. The example you are setting will either work on them or it won't. Good luck.

Thank you for your kind response, I did write this post when I was very upset. I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother. I think in future I will continue talking about veganism and entering into discussion with them as well as sharing my meals with them. I have come to realise, thanks to your post, that if I continue being vegan and thriving it is the best advertisement for veganism.

Well done for going vegan first of all. How long have you been vegan.

Keep in mind that an extreme attitude like this may lead to more animal cruelty, because people will write off vegans as overly radical.

You are trying to get results too fast. Be more patient. Work on them steadily, more gently. Over a period of many years. Maybe eventually you can get them to go mostly vegetarian or cut down certain things.

But don't obsess all your energies are trying to convince 1 or 2 people either. If you feel that passionately about it, try on others instead.

See it from their point of view also. They are likely very upset with what you just said.

You are too young to be finished forming all your beliefs in life. A better thing to say them would be to explain that there will always be some kind of distance between you and them, but try to avoid cutting off entirely.

Thank you for your very kind response and for being so understanding. I did write this post when I was rather upset in fairness so it probably makes me seem more extreme than I actually am.

Thank you to your advice I have joined my local animal rights group and will be joining them on talks, vegan festivals and market stalls as I am passionate about preventing exploitation.

Thank you for your kind response, I did write this post when I was very upset. I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother. I think in future I will continue talking about veganism and entering into discussion with them as well as sharing my meals with them. I have come to realise, thanks to your post, that if I continue being vegan and thriving it is the best advertisement for veganism.
Spot on!

My parents are supportive enough but won't even consider using vegan alternatives to butter/cooking oil. Like I understand they don't have to be vegan they have a choice but it breaks my heart because I care about them so much but they're slowly killing themselves and taking countless other lives. When asked to consider trying meat alternatives they flat out refuse because they "love meat", I asked again that if I was able to find ones that seemed exactly the same as meat would they consider it then? No. They then told me in the future they will slaughter their own animals for meat.

To actually be so morally wrecked to be able to take an innocent animal's life is a lot bigger to me than just buying meat at a shop.

I have made it clear that if this was to happen I would no longer consider myself their daughter.

Any advice/tips for my situation? Many thanks
Hi there.
In your situation, I would advise that you sit down with them and talk to them politely. Ask them politely to at least give vegan food a try, just to be open to it. This doesn't mean that they have to go vegan, just that trying the food could help them realise that it's not all as bad as they thought and that they shouldn't be so closed-minded about it.
As for the killing of the animals part, politely explain to them that animals have feelings, too. It is commonly accepted that a pig has the intelligence of a three-year-old child. Chickens, too, are known to be extremely intelligent, believe it or not. As for cattle, I have seen a picture of two cows taking comfort innone another whilst they in line to be slaughtered (if this, combined with all the cruelty of the dairy and beef industries, and all the vegan food and health benefits of veganism and health risks of beef and dairy, doesn't put you off of beef and dairy, I don't know what will). Also, try telling them politely that it would really upset you if they were to start slaughtering their own animals. Surely, as they are your parents and you are their child, they would not want you to be upset? You could also try taking them to a good animal sanctuary that has farm animals such as cattle, pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, goats, sheep, geese and/or rabbits and having them stroke and talk to the animals. Have them form connections with the animals. Afterwards, ask them politely "Could you really slaughter (insert name of an animal that they met here)?" "Could you really take the life of any of those animals?"
Best of luck.