Online stores to buy from?

First off I really need to commend you for your thinking this thru. When I became vegan it was not all at once and I just sort gradually and incrementally changed my buying habits. There is a lot to be said for having a plan

I've had a similar discussion with another newbie here at the Vegan Forum. And I feel bad dissuading someone from shopping at All Vegan stores. I can readily see the point - why give our cash to an entity that is making a profit on animal cruelty? However, my point is that nowadays it is all interconnected now.

Take for instance Method, which is where I buy my soap. They make a great product and check all my boxes but they got bought out by Univler. and they own subsidies that do test on animals. Or Silk. Silk only makes non dairy stuff. But they got bought out by Daone who owns a lot of dairys and makes a lot of cow's milk products. Gardein is owned by Conagra - they also own Slim Jims. Annie's was bought by General Mills,. You can't go to Burger King and get an Impossible burger because Burger King buys and sells beef. The grocer you buy your apples at also sells chickens.

It's sort of slippery slope. Its very hard to decide where to draw the line.

Speaking just for myself, but in this case I think I'm sort of mainstream, I draw the line with the product itself. If the product is vegan then I buy it. This is more powered by practicality than ethics. I justify it by remembering that even the definition of the word vegan includes the word "practical".

At the bottom I have included a link to super list of al the things a vegan may eventually need in their pantry.
The vast majority of these things can be found at the local grocery store. For the rest it might be worth driving to a big store once in a while and stocking up*. Plant milks can be purchased in cases of redipacs that can be stored in the garage or wherever. Tofu can be frozen. And a lot of the other things can live in the frig or pantry for a month or more.

So that leaves just a small number of products to order online.

* Isn't it sort of normal for small town people to make trips into the big city once in a while and hitting Costco? Just to save money. Costco has a bunch of vegan things.
Lol, every time I see your reply I think Hobbes is talking to me as if I am Calvin.

“The first and fundamental law of Nature, which is, to seek peace and follow it.”
― Thomas Hobbes

I get VegNews newsletter sent to my inbox. This morning they promoting Flax milk which they have delivered via Amazon Prime.

I'm not at the point that I'm going to boycott Amazon. But maybe someday. Bur for now I use Amazon sparingly.

Reactions: Foodforthought
I get VegNews newsletter sent to my inbox. This morning they promoting Flax milk which they have delivered via Amazon Prime.

I'm not at the point that I'm going to boycott Amazon. But maybe someday. Bur for now I use Amazon sparingly.
I live for Amazon. ☹️ I don’t see me ever giving them up.

I try to avoid them, but I do go there first to see choices and reviews.
I hate that they removed the comments!
I don't think a day goes by I don't see that truck from my window 🙄

I think the main issues are how badly they treat their employees and how they are destroying retail businesses.

Environmentally speaking they may be a good thing. having that truck bring me stuff is probably much better than me driving all over town looking for a good looking sweatshirt that fits.

I wonder how Amazon fares after the pandemic. and also if other businesses that have adopted free shipping as part of their model. - do they drop it after the pandemic?

Reactions: KLS52
Where I live there is not an over abundance of vegan options so I have bought what I could but have ventured online to buy more things but I want to support reputable vegan stores. Is Vegan Essentials online store a good one to buy from? I searched in the forum for online stores for the USA but I could only find stores for the UK. I have only changed to vegan four days ago so I definitely am still transitioning to my new path so I am trying to make sure I start out correct. Thank-you.

I just found this place.

Stuff is pricey for the gourmet stuff, but there is a lot of times that I like to treat myself with a few upscale products.

A really wide selection of faux meats from the smaller companies. I will see YouTube videos about products that I really want to try, but I can't find them in central Wisconsin. I probably could if I was willing to make a 3 hour round trip to Madison.