On a tight budget

linea

Newcomer
Reaction score
I would like to start eating more organic and vegan foods. However I am currently a student and on a fairly tight budget. Does anyone have any suggestions or shortcuts that would allow me to have a healthier diet on a budget? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!:)

I am not sure on the availability of these kinda things (I will list shortly) in your area/country or the price for same but my thoughts are, if they are nuts, seeds, grains, whole grain, fruits, vegetables, then they will be sufficient, varied and quite beneficial and filling to use. These, when incorporated with exercise, sunlight, fresh air and water:

Sunflower seeds
Peanuts (raw or roasted)
Cashew
Punkin Seeds
Corn
Beans
Peas
(May be mixed, blended or eaten raw)

------------------------------------------
Whole grains (rice, oats, hominy, barley and Bulgar)
Raisins
Orange
Grapefruit
Apple
Grapes
---------------------------------------------
Cabbage
Lettuce
Carrots
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Irish Moss

Thank you very much for this list! I am looking forward to being healthier. These foods will be manageable on my budget. I am wondering, will these foods help with chronic fatigue? Also, what is Irish moss and can it be eaten raw? Thanks again for the info:)

Fruit and vegetables are actually quite cheap where I live, I guess you do buy a lot more than the average person but as you'll be cutting our meat and dairy it should actually be cheaper to be vegan.

Never heard of Irish moss o_O something new to try ;)

Depending on how often you cook, it maybe economical to buy some frozen vegetables or cans because if you can't use fresh produce all up then it's wasted. At least with frozen food you can use what you need without waste. Tins of pulses like butter beans or chick peas are useful too and take less time to prepare. You can make salads, soups and casseroles from them or even pates.

Tomatoes are also a good staple to have in cans because you can makes sauces from them too. You can use them with pasta or rice which are great basics to base a meal around.

Last edited:
Alexiais a great post: 222 said:
Depending on how often you cook, it maybe economical to buy some frozen vegetables or cans because if you can't use fresh produce all up then it's wasted. At least with frozen food you can use what you need without waste. Tins of pulses like butter beans or chick peas are useful too and take less time to prepare. You can make salads, soups and casseroles from them or even pates.

Tomatoes are also a good staple to have in cans because you can makes sauces from it them too. You can use them with pasta or rice which are great basics to base a meal around.
Thanks! That is a perfect idea, will defintely help me save a bit!

I would like to start eating more organic and vegan foods. However I am currently a student and on a fairly tight budget. Does anyone have any suggestions or shortcuts that would allow me to have a healthier diet on a budget? If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!:)

http://www.ilovevegan.com/resources/vegan-lifestyle-on-a-budget/

This link helped me a lot with my transition...I had the same sort of concerns coming into veganism, that it would be hard to manage due to the expense. However if anything I save money nowadays! That website has a lot of handy information, so I hope you find it useful too!

Farmers markets - keep an eye out for any in your area, or even local farmers themselves who may have a small storefront where they sell their produce directly. Not only will the produce be cheaper, but it's often a lot fresher and of better quality.

Dollar Stores - You may not find a ton of stuff, but places like Dollar Tree do sometimes have some hidden gems. For example, they have been carrying Progresso brand canned Artichokes for only $1 each - these are normally like $3 or more in most grocery stores. Also, some of these dollar stores now have freezer sections, where you can get some of your frozen vegetables a little bit cheaper too. Just pay attention to the quantity in them vs. the grocery store counterparts. Also, be careful with canned goods, because sometimes they sell canned items for $1 a can which would only cost like 60 cents elsewhere.

Big Lots - believe it or not, you can find some deals there too on pantry items. They carry a lot of the "Bob's Red Mill" grains and flours at low prices, for example.

Trader Joes - they have an awesome selection of frozen vegetables ad vegetable blends at really good prices. Their fresh produce though I would steer clear of.

Thanks for asking. I also have an interest in this because I am still transitioning. I googled up on how to prepare, strore or freeze vegetables especially if you prefer bulk-buying. All the best!

I would suggest investing in buying products in bulk, you can do this once a month from a lot of good health food stores, just ask them if you can add to their sums order. For this you will be able to buy things like rice, dried fruit, packaged products like noodles, pasta, cereal and milk, for a greatly discounted price :) first I'd outline the basics of your vegan diet, weather you prefer to eat pasta, or beans on toast, or baked potatoes, or rice with veggies etc, and then outline what of that can be stored, like beans and pulses, flour... You get the picture!

Serously. That is the major hangup with being a vegan. I've never understood why a pound of a cow is less than a pound of salad in a store. No justice at all.

Fruits and vegetables are relatively cheap and are a no brainer to a great diet. Try to mix things up a bit by drinking lots of water and staying active.

Don't buy your fruit and veg in convenience stores or supermarkets - by them at your local weekly market in bulk. Take a friend and a couple of cardboard crates. Even better if you go at the end of the market the grocers will almost give the food away at unbelievably cheap prices.

Reactions: Damo
Don't buy your fruit and veg in convenience stores or supermarkets - by them at your local weekly market in bulk. Take a friend and a couple of cardboard crates. Even better if you go at the end of the market the grocers will almost give the food away at unbelievably cheap prices.
I used to buy all my fruit/veg from supermarkets I didn't think it could get much cheaper though you're right a market in my local town sells fruit/veg stupidly cheap...