Nightshade Foods

Maurice23

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Does anyone avoid nightshade foods? All of them or just some? Have you noticed a difference?
Please tell us what you avoid.

Does anyone avoid nightshade foods? All of them or just some? Have you noticed a difference?
Please tell us what you avoid.
Tom Brady

One of the most famous parts of the quarterback's diet is his avoidance of tomatoes and nightshades. "[Tom] doesn't eat nightshades, because they're not anti-inflammatory," says Campbell. "So no tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, or eggplants. Tomatoes trickle in every now and then, but just maybe once a month. I'm very cautious about tomatoes. They cause inflammation."​

I have tried to avoid nightshades several times. It’s hard because I love tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant. I do feel like I have less inflammation when I avoid them. But I usually only last a few weeks before I am back to indulging again.
Recently I had been off of all three food items mentioned and then had potatoes three days in a row. I ended up with with the muscle aches/pains. Could it have been coincidentally? Sure. But the fact that I had the potatoes without any forethought that I shouldn’t be eating them, makes me think there could be something to it. I started not feeling well, thought back to what I had eaten and then realized I hadn’t had potatoes (or even tomato sauce on my pasta), in several weeks prior to having them the three days in a row.
It’s not something I see myself eliminating from my diet forever but I will abstain the way I have been...for 1-2 months, and then enjoy them for a few days. It’s worth being achy for a short time lol, if the nightshades are even the cause of the flares.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1956