Night shift work

Hazelsqueak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So, I am going to see my doctor this week because I am having chest pains, my heart flutters and I dry cough all over the place, my hair is falling out, I have horrible anxiety, and I can't sleep.

I have been working 12 hour night shifts for the past 9 years. I know it's not healthy and can lead to heart disease and to be honest, that is what I'm worried about. My diet is...or was...pretty good (vegan and I mostly avoid processed garbage plus I take vitamins.) But lately I've been craving salt really bad so I've been giving into salty stuff like Amy's canned soup.

I guess my question is...do you think I should quit nights and try to go to days? Night shift pays WAY better so it's hard for me to lose $4 an hour because I am trying to pay my husband's way through college...but I also don't want to kill myself. Blarg.

I'm also kind of scared my doctor will blame my vegan diet. Maybe I should get a blood test. I don't know anymore. I am so stressed out and grumpy all the time and I hate myself.

You should see a doctor. And I doubt he will blame your vegan diet. If you are really worried about it - don't tell him. He will undoubtedly order blood tests. Nowadays doctors always do. If there are any issues caused by your diet he will detect them in the blood work.

That would be nice, but has some pretty severe medical issues. :/ I just hope once he graduates he will be able to find a good job and stick with it. Otherwise I might just die lol. My appointment is tomorrow. I will post what I know after that.

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
Good luck with your apt. Great approach to see a Dr.

If the Dr blames the vegan diet ask for specifics to rectify, eg not enough protein? Sure, add more beans. Not enough salt? Sure, add more salt on your food.

Yes, night shift is not good for health on so many levels. Even though it pays more, maybe look at changing this as a priority.

Are you getting enough ‘me’ time? Stop for a moment, relax and smell the roses :) I have to keep telling myself that too, it’s easy to fall into a pattern of work only.

I did not mention my vegan diet. He does not think I have heart disease. He thinks I might have acid reflux disease though, or maybe something wrong with my thyroid. I had a blood test done so just waiting to see what that says.

I try to spend time for myself but I am so busy it's hard too. All I do with my down time is exercise my dogs and play on the Internet for like an hour. I also try to read. I am currently reading through Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books. Love them.

Reactions: betiPT, Sax and Lou
I did not mention my vegan diet. He does not think I have heart disease. He thinks I might have acid reflux disease though, or maybe something wrong with my thyroid. I had a blood test done so just waiting to see what that says.

I try to spend time for myself but I am so busy it's hard too. All I do with my down time is exercise my dogs and play on the Internet for like an hour. I also try to read. I am currently reading through Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books. Love them.
Furhman rocks! Let us know what the outcome is :)

Reactions: Hazelsqueak
Well, I probably have hypothyroidism. I need to go back and have another blood test in 6 weeks to be sure I guess? I was half asleep when the doctor called so I don't remember the conversation too well lol. I hate waiting games. :(

So, I am going to see my doctor this week because I am having chest pains, my heart flutters and I dry cough all over the place, my hair is falling out, I have horrible anxiety, and I can't sleep.

I have been working 12 hour night shifts for the past 9 years. I know it's not healthy and can lead to heart disease and to be honest, that is what I'm worried about. My diet is...or was...pretty good (vegan and I mostly avoid processed garbage plus I take vitamins.) But lately I've been craving salt really bad so I've been giving into salty stuff like Amy's canned soup.

I guess my question is...do you think I should quit nights and try to go to days? Night shift pays WAY better so it's hard for me to lose $4 an hour because I am trying to pay my husband's way through college...but I also don't want to kill myself. Blarg.

I'm also kind of scared my doctor will blame my vegan diet. Maybe I should get a blood test. I don't know anymore. I am so stressed out and grumpy all the time and I hate myself.

A vegan’s risk of heart attack is pretty close to zero (it is, in fact, zero if your total cholesterol is below 150 mg/dl), so please try to relax. It sounds like you may be low on vitamin D and/or iodine and/or protein. I posted in detail about my own nutritional problems in this thread:
https://veganforum.org/threads/vegan-for-five-years-and-considering-eggs.3666/#post-21412
It may help you as well.

Good luck!

Try CBD oil. It's expensive but worth it. The list of benefits is huge. Very effective with anxiety and insomnia. I work nights too. Eat as much raw fruit and veggies as possible and add dried fruit like raisins, dates or figs to your diet. Eat them alone or before a meal.
Give up alcohol and coffee.
Also meditate. Study Zen.

If noise is an issue when sleeping try earplugs.

My mom thinks I most likely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis because she had it (it leads to hypothyroidism) and also 3 of my other relatives have hypothyroidism. So, if I do have it, it will not be a huge surprise. But that means I have to give up WHEAT. Aaaaargh! D: