Newly vegan

That is a pretty broad request. Would you mind being a little more specific?

However, I think joining the Vegan Forum and participating in the forum is a good start. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
Hey there! :) Thanks for your reply. I'm just looking for ways to overcome this drastic change from eating meat every couple of days to no meat at all.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
welcome!

A lot of people like to transition by eating/cooking fake meat vegan products and I can tell you that most are very good.

Beyond Burgers, Gardein Products, tempeh, etc Most fast food places now have vegan options, Costco, Ikea, all the main supermarkets carry vegan options. Shop till you drop! ;)

Alternatively, if you prefer a more whole foods plant based diet then I would suggest that you spice your beans/potatoes/rice etc the same way as you did your meat. If you like a BBQ taste then add BBQ sauce to your beans. Veggie chili on potatoes with lots of paprika and chili powder and garlic etc so that your mouth doesn't know it isn't still getting the same options.

Hope this helps.

Emma JC

Have you read any good vegan books? Bought a cookbook? Watched a documentary? Subscribed to a podcast or a youtube channel.
We can make some recommendations if you would like.

Reactions: Emma JC
1. Get enough calories - one of the biggest vegan newbie mistakes is not to eat enough food

2. Get enough fiber and resistant starch from whole food. Your microbiome (gut bacteria) will be changing once you stop all animal products and start feeding yourself more of these. You need to feed them what they want so you can feel satisfied and they can do the good things they need to do. This is as important as getting enough calories.

3. Find recipes that you like online and/or in books that meet criteria 1 and 2.

4. Turn off the television or prerecord programs so you can skip commercials - the world isn't going to stop trying to get you to eat disgusting dead corpses and animal secretions just because you have decided not to eat them.

5. Focus on staying vegan and beware of the philosophers who tell you you need all the right motives, have to be exactly like them and are otherwise competitive. Some of them aren't even vegan and are trying to overcompensate for non-vegan dietary indiscretions.

6. Prepare. If you know you will be out with no/few vegan options, bring food with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
When I turned vegan, years ago, I got huge resistance from my friends and family and none of my friends or family is vegan (only my sister is vegetarian)

There are a lot of myths about veganism.
First one is that you cannot get enough protein and you can end up with bad health, thin hair, etc. So you have to do some research to what products are available in your local grocery stores, what is nutrition content in those products and just do some math - you'll see that if you put some beans, tofu or peas to casual meal, salads or whatever side dish you had before you end up with same amount of protein and fibres.
So once you're sure that is not true, just get rid of any doubts.

Second myth is that being vegan is very expensive. And at the beginning it might seem so - but at the end you'll spend even less. Just the ting is that at first it seems like you need meat substitutes as part of meal, cause of those habits you had for years (and those products are pricey). And that is ok. That is natural way of getting rid of old habits. When you'll be vegan for like few months you'll check more recipes and find out that those meat substitutes makes less sense to use. Most of us went trough that. Now I'm vegan for more than 5 years and it simply doesn't make any sense to buy product that reminds me of meat.

And another thing, don't be too harsh on yourself in situations when there is no vegan options, as long as there is at least vegetarian option. Place where I live really often in pubs or restaurants there is no vegan option. And of course, I don't go there for lunch, but if I'm meeting my friends or going to party it's often a thing, that i cannot get vegan option. And by the time my friends get used to me asking staff for options and if special case food is possible for me but sometimes it's not possible. And ether I just stick with drinks (in this case most of my friends / family go upset) or if I'm hungry, just pick some of most vegetarian options (usually recipe which one cannot be made vegan includes cream or milk in preparation). And it does hurt me a little but you know if because of being vegan you have to lose you're friends or can't have fun time with people you love it pays of to have vegetarian option once in some time.. Just don't feel like this is the reason why not be vegan.

I'm sorry if I upset with this last part some of most passionate vegans. But i've been trough so many situations where it's just not possible to get vegan options and I truly believe that it is really important to be with your family, friends and not make drama about your life choices. Especially at the beginning - with time everybody will get used to you being vegan and respect it more and more.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou