Newbie here

Harley79

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone ,

Newbie from Boston Mass I'm a mom of 3 I'm 47yrs old and married to a wonderful man. I'm 100lbs overweight and afraid of dying of a heart attack I try to eat plant based whole foods all the time but Everytime I do about 3 - 4 weeks in I start dealing with extreme fatigue I take my B12 and vitamin D I'm sure I'm not balancing my meals properly any suggested recipes that might help

TIA Tammy

Have you tried a more incremental approach? Maybe cut out red meat first, then cheese, then white meat, then fish...or whatever order makes sense to you. Each time you cut out an animal product, replace it with an equal calorie amount of plant based whole foods. Cruciferous vegetables plus a vitamin C source is supposed to be a good way of getting iron, but I take an iron supplement in addition. Not sure if that's relevant to you but I believe fatigue can result from too little iron.

You are probably trying to avoid salt as well. I don't add salt to any of my recipes anymore. If I feel like I really need salt I'll add a little to a single portion just before I eat it...you can taste it more that way and get the same effect with less salt. Condiments tend to be very salty too. Flavoring with herbs/spices and lemon or lime can be an alternative.

I saw a nurse yesterday and my blood pressure was down 20% since quitting animal products. She immediately asked if I was vegetarian or vegan when she saw how low it was (100/60). I've been vegan for about 9 months now. I haven't eliminated salt and oil but try to be conscious of it and minimize.

Bicycles are my favorite way to exercise. Being outdoors and exploring new places is way more fun than a treadmill or bike trainer, and once you ride 5 miles from your car/home you can't just call it quits...gotta ride 5mi back!

Good luck :)

I highly recommend using an app called Chronometer. It will help you eat the right foods in the right quantities