New to veganism

scott

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi. This may be a daft question but I want to check before eating food that may contain dairy etc If a product is vegetarian approved and there are no milk or egg products in the ingredients (which have to be stated in bold for allergens) does that mean it is ok for vegans? and it is just that the maker of the product can't be bothered to state that it is vegan? Thanks for your help.

I've often been suspicious and confused with this also. Sometimes a product labeled "vegetarian" has vitamin D3 in it (derived from lanolin or fish), vitamin A that is animal derived, or cane sugar processed with bone char. Sometimes there is honey in there. If I don't see any of those or anything else suspicious, and the product seems otherwise totally vegan, I will still buy it, but if I am unsure, I will contact the company and ask. I did this a few times. Often it is the sugar issue which keeps a product from being called "vegan". Some companies are not even really aware of what vegan is, believe it or not, or it hasn't caught on.

Hi. This may be a daft question but I want to check before eating food that may contain dairy etc If a product is vegetarian approved and there are no milk or egg products in the ingredients (which have to be stated in bold for allergens) does that mean it is ok for vegans? and it is just that the maker of the product can't be bothered to state that it is vegan? Thanks for your help.

Looking at this strictly logically, there are animal products that are vegetarian, not milk, not egg and not vegan, so you cannot be sure that such a product is OK for vegans.

If you are a strict, proper vegan, you need to check all the ingredients or do further research.

If you are not bothered about a small amount of animal cruelty as long as we cut out most of it....it might be relatively OK if you are OK with it.