New to vegan looking for advice

southcity

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello all. I have recently started using vegan foods as I am lactose intolerant and having diverticular pain from the constant lactose issues. I purchased Silk organic soy milk but for some reason it sits in my stomach like a rock and I still get bloating and gas when I drink even a small amount of it. Could I get some advice on which milk product to use that will not cause a reaction similar to lactose intolerance. I am currently just trying to cut milk out of my diet. Thanks.

Reactions: vesper818
Have you tried a brand called Oatly?
I had a sib who was severely allergic to milk and she would eat her cereal with fruit juice.
I'm not really a fan of that approach, since I feel like the fiber in the whole fruit is better, but it may get you through while you are finding other options.

It takes time to learn to adjust but you can find other things to eat that are not milk and not milk substitutes. You can eat fresh fruit on top of cooked grains (rice, oatmeal, millet). Or beans or lentils on top of cooked grains with some nice spices or sauces plus cooked vegetables. It doesn't even have to be a recipe; you can just put some good things together in a bowl or cook together in one pot.

If you plan ahead a little to have options on hand for when you get hungry, and then wait until you're hungry to eat, you can learn to enjoy a wide variety of foods that are less familiar to you.

After a while they become as familiar and comforting as what you were used to before.

(A note on gas and bloating: While you are adjusting to any new foods, you can expect some gas and bloating and other digestive issues. I've heard that that is because we all have a unique population of bacteria in our digestive systems. The bacteria that are used to your usual diet are the most numerous. They may put up a fuss when you change things, but after a time, other bacteria that were less numerous before will increase, because they will thrive more on your new diet. If you add soluble fiber (like in oatmeal and fruits) slowly, there will be an adjustment. But the end result will be a healthier mix of bacteria (microbiome) that can actually help keep you healthy.

That is kind of garbled. Maybe someone else can explain it better.)

Also,
I think a lot of people are used to turning to milk for the convenience and familiarity, but there are a lot of other foods out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: southcity
Could I get some advice on which milk product to use that will not cause a reaction similar to lactose intolerance. I am currently just trying to cut milk out of my diet. Thanks.
A very small number of people are sensitive or even intolerant of soy. You should get tested for that.
I kind of sort of doubt it.
You see soy is added to all kinds of food nowadays. So I think you would have had issues before now. but maybe you have just been lucky. or maybe your sensitivity to soy is mild, but a cup of soy milk puts you over the edge.
Anyway it's not too hard to get tested. Ask you Primary Care Physician next time you see him/her.

That is kind of garbled. Maybe someone else can explain it better.)

Also,
I think a lot of people are used to turning to milk for the convenience and familiarity, but there are a lot of other foods out there.

bEt did a good job there. I'll just add a little bit to her reply.

First, Oat milk is a good suggestion. There is also Almond Milk, rice milk, pea milk, etc.

But yeah, I would try oat milk first.

and I agree with bEt on the last bit. There is nothing essential or necessary about milk. I drink it mostly because it's convenient. Also it's a good source of nutrients. I drink lots of soy milk. but I've cut down lately cause its gotten so expensive.

The other thing bEt was saying about bloating.
One of the most common complaints of transitioning vegans is bloating. It is caused by gut bacteria. The Standard American Diet is typically low on fiber. The typical vegan diet is high in fiber. Sometimes 3 times as high. Gut bacteria is responsible for breaking down the fiber. It's their food. And like any ecosystem, if you add more food you get a population spike. One of the byproducts of this is a bunch of gasses. So that's when you get the bloating and farting.
the simple answer is just for transitioning vegans to reduce their fiber intake until they get accustomed to the high fiber diet.

Both soy milk and oat milk have about 2 g of fiber. Which is sort of minimal. although if you drink 3 cups a day - it does add up.

Almond milk has only 1.

Reactions: KLS52 and southcity
Another good dairy milk alternative is Pea milk. It is from yellow pea, not the green kind that people eat. I am in the UK so the same brands may not be available there that I have access to here but the two I use are Mighty M.LK and Wunda. Sometimes, depending on what I am using the milk in/for, I will mix two together. For example, in a cup of tea I tend to have a bit of oat milk and a bit of Mighty or Wunda.

Of all the dairy free milks, be aware that Almond has the highest water usage and as most almonds are grown in California where drought is a very serious problem it is not environmentally friendly- of course, it is far more environmentally friendly overall than dairy milk and without animal cruelty :)

Reactions: bEt and southcity
Hello all. I have recently started using vegan foods as I am lactose intolerant and having diverticular pain from the constant lactose issues. I purchased Silk organic soy milk but for some reason it sits in my stomach like a rock and I still get bloating and gas when I drink even a small amount of it. Could I get some advice on which milk product to use that will not cause a reaction similar to lactose intolerance. I am currently just trying to cut milk out of my diet. Thanks.
Welcome southcity!
My first thought was maybe carageenan, which some are bothered by, but Silk does not have that. Most likely it will pass as your body adjusts to a new food regime, but in the meantime, there are so many other non dairy milks to try.

It helps to think of non dairy milks as culinary replacements rather than as substitutes nutritionally. Dark greens, beans, seeds and nuts are more aligned with the calcium and protein dairy offers, without the cholesterol and saturated fats

I don't use them much, but we do keep oatmilk on hand. I also keep the shelf stable soy milk for soy yogurt and other things. Soy does have a specific protein profile that can't be subbed in things like yogurt, or vegan mayo (although there are other ways to make vegan mayo)

Some brands of soya milk are healthier than others. Did you try a GMO free one?

Try finding a soy milk that is IS gmo? 🤔. In the US, tofu, soy milk, tempeh as well as beans sold for human consumption, I only ever find non gmo.
The only soy milk I've seen gmo uses soy isolate, and once a carton with no english that I believe was gmo

Organic always means non gmo, but non gmo is not always organic

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and southcity
Try finding a soy milk that is IS gmo? 🤔. In the US, tofu, soy milk, tempeh as well as beans sold for human consumption, I only ever find non gmo.
The only soy milk I've seen gmo uses soy isolate, and once a carton with no english that I believe was gmo

Organic always means non gmo, but non gmo is not always organic

Please read GMO free.

Please read GMO free.

GMO Free vs. GMO

A product that is GMO-free contains ingredients that may have been derived from genetically modified ingredients.

• Raw materials in these formulations are sourced from suppliers claiming the ingredients are GMO-Free.
  • These ingredients will test PCR negative for GM protein or DNA.
  • While this product may be the result of a genetic modification, there will be no detectable GMOs/DNA that has been genetically engineered when analyzed in a lab, because the ingredients that may have been derived from bioengineering have been highly processed or refined and all detectable DNA has been removed.

Non-GMO vs. GMO

A product that is labeled as non-GMO is not derived from any GMO sources. Thus, the product is not manufactured or produced using any bioengineering, genetic engineering and/or modern biotechnology.

I read this as non gmo being more stringent on ingredients as gmo free.

GMO-FREE VS. GMO

Produce can be considered to be GMO-free if it has ingredients that were derived from ingredients that have been genetically altered. Such ingredients will not test positive for either DNA or GM protein. The raw materials get sourced from supplies that will state that the ingredients are free of any genetically modified organisms. GMO-free items also won’t have any detectable genetically-altered DNA or GMOs when they’re studied in a laboratory setting. This is because ingredients go through a great deal of processing or refinement, and this removes any detectable DNA from the materials.

NON-GMO VS. GMO

Products that are labeled to be non-GMO will not be derived from GMO sources of any kind. This means that non-GMO products aren’t produced or manufactured with any genetic engineering, biotechnology, or bioengineering.

Since organic products share traits with non-GMO variants, we thought having a definition for organic products was appropriate. There will be more elaboration on this definition later. Organic products are entirely non-GMO.

ORGANIC VS. GMO

Whenever products are verified to be organic, it means that these products are created using ingredients that don’t get bioengineered. As previously stated, organic products are non-GMO as well. But there’s more to being organic than that.

Organic products cannot have any items that were grown with the help of synthetic pesticides or fertilizers. They also can’t have assistance through the means of ionizing radiation and sewage sludge. For items that have animal products in them, the animals won’t receive any growth hormones or antibiotics for the making of the products.

Keep in mind that there is a critical difference between non-GMO products and organic products. Certified organic products are always going to be non-GMO. However, the inverse is not true. Non-GMO products aren’t always organic. It follows the same logic of how all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

welcome to the forum

So many good suggestions for you.

May I ask what you use milk for/on?

If it is cereal then another alternative is banana milk - you just make it yourself by putting a banana and some water in a bullet/blender, spin it up and voila... you have milk. One ripe banana to 1/2 cup of cool/cold water works well.

All the best with your journey.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

That's a really good solution, which I've heard of but never tried. I wonder if it would work with a green(ish) banana, since some say those are easier on the digestion?

I wonder too if a plant yogurt would be kinder than the milk. If they are available and you can afford it. Also silva has explained that she makes homemade soy yogurt

And of course I have to get on my soapbox here and say I am a fan of all fermented foods for gut health. Just a tablespoon or two of sauerkraut per day is supposed to be good for our gut. (Not much more though, you don't want to overdo it, either.) Of course my favorite fermented food is tempeh! IMO it makes legumes more digestible. On a similar note, a couple of people have told me that although they have problems with wheat, they can tolerate small amounts of slow-fermented artisan sourdough.

It sounds like you aren't ready to be entirely plant based. That's understandable. Even going more plants, less animal is good for your health.

If you want to poke around a bit here, there is also an everything oatmeal thread and a whatcha eatin' thread.

And by the way,
And you can use the search function to find other things that interest you.

And I think around here, we love questions, if you have any more.

Speaking of questions, sorry to take your time but is that your dog? Very adorable!

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
I've tried that Good Karma Flaxmilk. it was fine.
and I've made Hemp Milk at home. it was easy.
Still prefer soy milk to all others because of the protein.

Unsweetened almond or coconut milk for cereals and oat milk for tea/coffee but I myself have stopped eating cereal and now only drink herbal tea without anything. Coffee tastes a whole load better without milk but you've got to force yourself for about 3 goes before you start to appreciate it.

When choosing a milk alternative, be sure to read the labels carefully to ensure that it is fortified with calcium and vitamin D, which are important nutrients found in dairy products. Additionally, be aware that some milk alternatives may contain added sugars, so choose unsweetened varieties when possible.
In the UK they also put oil in some of them.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
Unsweetened almond or coconut milk for cereals and oat milk for tea/coffee but I myself have stopped eating cereal and now only drink herbal tea without anything. Coffee tastes a whole load better without milk but you've got to force yourself for about 3 goes before you start to appreciate it.

Then there's that whole issue about using monkeys to collect the coconuts in some places - it's awful.