News new article today on CNN

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A 'blue zones' diet: Live longer from what you eat

Most of us are likely familiar with the blue zone concept and I think it is a good, other than there are still some who eat animals within those zones, but attracting people to veganism can be done, using health as the lure, and the thing I like most about this article is the "community" involvement as this is the biggest challenge for many people who eat a plant-based diet.

The article is linked here

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
It IS good to see this kind of stuff in the Mainstream Press. Although I guess there are a significant number of Americans who won't/don't believe anything from CNN.

It is also good to see that the stuff that us vegans (or is it we vegans?) have known for a long time is getting some column inches.

I didn't' become vegan for my health. but for the health of the cows and chickens. So I find it a little disconcerting that almost all the traction plant-based food is getting is from the personal health area. It's like the opposite of how I rank the priorities.

But it's just a little disconcerting. As long as we get to the same place, does it matter where you start?

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
It IS good to see this kind of stuff in the Mainstream Press. Although I guess there are a significant number of Americans who won't/don't believe anything from CNN.

It is also good to see that the stuff that us vegans (or is it we vegans?) have known for a long time is getting some column inches.

I didn't' become vegan for my health. but for the health of the cows and chickens. So I find it a little disconcerting that almost all the traction plant-based food is getting is from the personal health area. It's like the opposite of how I rank the priorities.

But it's just a little disconcerting. As long as we get to the same place, does it matter where you start?

As someone who did come to it, because of my health, I believe that however we get people onboard is a good way and do understand how it can be disconcerting. It is kind of like putting on your air mask first, in an air emergency, if I don't take care of my health I won't be as capable of helping others with theirs and 'others' includes animals. My step-daughter is a prime example. She LOVES animals and yet until we helped her to get her weight and her Crohns under control, going plant-based, she had never put 2 and 2 together. Now she volunteers at an animal sanctuary and she wouldn't have been able to do that unless/until she had her own health back.

Come to veganism however you like, environment, health or the love and respect for animals, just be sure to stay for all the reasons.

Emma JC

@Emma JC

Very good points. In my defense, remember not only did I say "a little disconcerting" I even put the little in italics - emphasis on the "little".

And like i said at the end, "As long as we get to the same place, does it matter where you start?"

I guess my deal is that I think that everyone should be concerned with ethical issues. although plant-based is getting great traction because of disease prevention (not to mention athlete's time in the 40-yard dash). And yes, its all good stuff. But I can't help be a LIttle disappointed that hardly anyone cares about the chickens.

I ditched dairy 20 years ago because I didn't think we should be torturing cows. I didn't even know that I would be healthier without dairy. (but I'm glad that is the case). And I realize it took a really long time for me to realize that - so I give people a break there.

I also realize that global warming and environmental concerns are valid concerns. The house IS on fire! So it's fine with me that in putting out the fire we evacuate the chickens. I just wish someone would say, hey wait, what are all those chickens doing here??!!

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
yup, understand

My point is that now that I am in this new world I do care deeply about the chickens and the pigs and the sheep and the cows and the squirrels etc. I became more educated about them when I started watching the documentaries and the youtube videos and because I watch a lot I am immersed in it daily and live vicariously the life of some of the activists. This keeps me on point and expands my knowledge base.

Which reminds me... I learned an interesting fact about one of our provinces, Alberta, a few days ago. It is a rat-free zone, and it is not a small area. I feel very conflicted about learning this. If you google "alberta rat free zone" you will find a great many stories about it.

Emma JC

alberta.jpg

Reactions: Lou
@Emma JC

I did not know that.
And I am not even a little bit conflicted.

a. Rats are not native to North America.
b. they are pests.
c. IMHO it is not even a little bit nonvegan to kill pests and vermin. It Would be non-vegan to raise them for meat. But if you were living as a subsistence farmer and caught a rat eating your crops I think it would make sense to kill it and eat it. Maybe even turn it into a hat.

In a way, this is analogous to the cat killing going on in Australia. Cats are not native to Australia and are on their way to making some of the native species extinct.

Rats (and cats) are not endangered.

I'm actually surprised that their program is so successful.

A Wildlife Biologist I know joined the Peace Crops and was very disappointed when she got sent to Africa to kill rats. She was a wildlife biologist because of her deep respect for animals and was very conflicted about killing rats. ( I do realize that writing about killing rats and then actually killing them are two different things). And to make things worse, the rats that were targeted were native rats. However, these rats have a tremendous reproduction rate and can actually destroy an entire crop that a village relies on. It was basically killing rats to save lives.

And to veer off-road again and get into the weeds so to speak.

This same species of rat that was being targeted is now being trained to sniff out land mines. So these rats are now Saving Lives.

Oh. and I just saw this video this morning. There are many sides to this coin.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
MANY people who eat wfpb for health are far from vegan, and they are quite outspoken about it- even those who insist they eat a "vegan diet"