News Nearly 700 refugees / migrants feared drowned

I think David Cameron was just making a token effort to appease public opinion as he knows his backbenchers are very anti-immigrant/EU. I was just watching the news and they were debating whether they should start saying the refugee crisis instead of the migrant crisis as some people have less sympathy with migrants.
It seems more truthful to say refugees. It's not like they are migrating by choice, it is by circumstance.

ETA The images I am seeing as I watch a news program on CNN are beyond belief. The US needs to step up and help now. Giving money is not sufficient. We need to allow emergency visas for more than just a handful of the refugees. Shame on us.

Last edited:
Migrant crisis: UK must do even more to help refugees - George Osborne - BBC News

We might be expanding the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Relocations scheme and I think the number of refugees we are taking is 15,000 now.

The situation in Lesbos in Greece looks terrible, Migrant crisis: UN calls for emergency evacuation of 17,000 refugees on Lesbos - Telegraph there are people sleeping on the bare concrete.

lesbos-sleeping_3430779b_zpsa7padfna.jpg

It seems more truthful to say refugees. It's not like they are migrating by choice, it is by circumstance.

Indeed. If possible, I would also suggest to amend the thread title to "Nearly 700 refugees feared drowned..."
Not our most pressing problem, I agree, but a small step.

@Indian Summer

Last edited:
Amy, I am happy to read stories like that!

Unfortunately, this is also the nasty face of some parts of Germany:
Clashes at Germany's Heidenau asylum centre alarm government - BBC News

Right wing "protestors" (more precisely: a neo-nazi lynch mob) in the city of Heidenau (Eastern part of Germany) attacked the arriving refugees and the policemen protecting them.

I suspect she was sacked more because she was caught on camera than for her actual behavior, given who she worked for.

Amy, I am happy to read stories like that!

Unfortunately, this is also the nasty face of some parts of Germany:
Clashes at Germany's Heidenau asylum centre alarm government - BBC News

From the same article:

A recent poll revealed 67% of Germans were "very worried" by attacks on refugee homes. In another survey 93% said it was right to give asylum to those fleeing conflict. And an extraordinary number of people here are giving up their time or their possessions.

All over the country there are warehouses stacked with second-hand clothes, toys, supplies for the refugees.

Reactions: ledboots
Germany does need a lot of migrants for their strong economy to survive so I wouldn't go over the top either way about their reaction.

Germany does need a lot of migrants for their strong economy to survive so I wouldn't go over the top either way about their reaction.

Moll, that is not a consideration, believe me.
Those people standing at the train station and welcoming the refugees are NOT people with factories looking for workers.
And the parties who represent factory owners and industry are the ones who are NOT for taking any more refugees.

Especially, since people applying for asylum are not allowed to work, at least not immediately, anyway.

Reactions: Amy SF
Taking in that many refugees from countries with comparatively lower education levels, with major cultural differences and language barriers, who have been traumatized by the horrors of war and will need treatment, is going to be an expense rather than a profit for a long, long time. It would make much more economic sense to get workers from Poland and other eastern European countries, which is what they're already doing, I believe.

Especially, since people applying for asylum are not allowed to work, at least not immediately, anyway.

Juncker said yesterday that the law should be changed. 'I am strongly in favour of allowing asylum seekers to work and earn their own money whilst their applications are being processed. Labour, work, being in a job is a matter of dignity ... so we should do everything to change our national legislation in order to allow refugees, migrants, to work since day one of their arrival in Europe'.

Taking in that many refugees from countries with comparatively lower education levels, with major cultural differences and language barriers, who have been traumatized by the horrors of war and will need treatment, is going to be an expense rather than a profit for a long, long time. It would make much more economic sense to get workers from Poland and other eastern European countries, which is what they're already doing, I believe.

Some of my cousins are half Syrian and when I met their familes at a wedding they were well educated and spoke a few languages. Migrants do have a net positive effect on the economy. I still think it is good that Germany is taking so many but they do need young fit workers because of their ageing population.

Actually, the more refugees Germany takes in, the less migrants from other countries, who are interested in moving to Germany in order to work can be taken in... at least that is more or less the way it was handled before.

Well, that article makes it clear, thank you!

It is good to hear that Britain is doing the morally good thing by going directly to Syria to select 4,000 "vulnerable" refugees to be resettled to the UK, while greedy Ms. Merkel will do the simple and morally reprehensible thing by just "skimming off" 800,000 of the most easily usable, young, healthy, strong refugees that are now arriving to Europe.

I can't see Jeremy Corbyn's chances of replacing a philanthropist of the caliber of Mr. Cameron.

I agree, that article is quite biased.:rofl:I was just putting it there for people to see the stats for migrants needed by Germany. I think Merkel has been very clever in the way she has handled this crisis. I'm just pointing out that Germany has self interest in taking these people for economic reasons. I didn't realise it was such a controversial thing to say.

I think it is true that the people in the Syrian camps will be more vulnerable if they couldn't even make the journey, a lot of the people you see who have made it to Europe look like young healthy men.

Last edited:
I do not really believe that this is the main reason.

To be very clear, if Germany decided today that 500,000 young, male, healthy new workers are needed, they could simply "open their borders" and make it publicly known that they need these people and start the selection process.

Of course, such a move would be highly controversial in any country (Germany is not any different here), and likely would not sit well with many voters, giving them a reason to vote for right-wing parties in the next election. So yes, it is possible that the current government uses the humanitarian crisis to get people critical of accepting foreigners to be more accepting of the fact.

However, those refugees are housed in refugee camps, fed, clothed, medically treated at the expense of the German government, and they are not required (or even allowed) to work. Possibly in a few years.

What I personally do not like about this line of reasoning is that it gives other countries a very convenient excuse to say "Ah yes, they do it for the money, not because they want to help. Well, we have enough people, so that is why we can not take any refugees".