My recent rescues - Squirrel and Prairie dog.

Kysska

Newcomer
Reaction score
If you asked me 4 months ago if I thought I'd ever have any wildlife "as a pet", much less a squirrel and prairie dog, the answer would've probably been no. But in September my dog brought home a baby squirrel (around 6 weeks old at the time) and my whole world changed! I spent all night researching and bought special wildlife baby-formula and "squirrel blocks" and a large bird cage online for the poor little thing. Now 8 weeks later she's grown to be a happy healthy (HIGHLY energetic) part of the family. It's turned into a new passion of mine, and I'd love to rehabilitate more squirrels in the future.

Her name is Cherry. This is her shortly after we found her, she is ~6 weeks old here.
3b6SW.jpg

And this is her at about 12 weeks old (Attacking my toe! :rofl: )

Bonus picture of her taking a nap in my arms at 13-14 weeks. It's so rare for her to sit still for more than 2 seconds so I'm really glad I got a picture of it. :smitten:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, last week, I found an ad of Craigslist for a prairie dog needing a new home (the boy was starting school and the mom was going back to work so they wouldn't have time for him anymore) and I posted on the squirrel boards I joined after rescuing Cherry, to see if anyone could help him. (Since I'm pretty low on funds and space) But after they told me how wonderful PDs are as pets and how sad he looked in his barren cage on Craigslist I caved :oops: , ran out and bought a new cage for Cherry, gave Cherry's old cage to the Prairie dog, and now I have TWO exotic rodents living with me. (I'm unable to work due to my disabilities, which gives me all the time in the WORLD to spend at home with my critters. So him and cherry and my cats and dogs get lots of love and attention)

His name is Squeekers (His original owners named him)
Qb5ce.jpg

As you can see he's pretty overweight from the poor diet they had him on for the last year (puppy food :no:) but cute as all hell and I love him to pieces already.
NyA5a.jpg

Just thought I would share my adventures in small mammal wildlife rescue over the past few months. Wondering if anyone else has done anything similar?

I will not ever show this thread to my husband, or we'll have to get a pet squirrel and prairie dog.
Lol, I know what you mean. That's what happened to me when I laid eyes on them, I had to rescue them. Ah.. I'm such a sucker for cute faces :smitten:

If you asked me 4 months ago if I thought I'd ever have any wildlife "as a pet", much less a squirrel and prairie dog, the answer would've probably been no. But in September my dog brought home a baby squirrel (around 6 weeks old at the time) and my whole world changed! I spent all night researching and bought special wildlife baby-formula and "squirrel blocks" and a large bird cage online for the poor little thing. Now 8 weeks later she's grown to be a happy healthy (HIGHLY energetic) part of the family. It's turned into a new passion of mine, and I'd love to rehabilitate more squirrels in the future.

Her name is Cherry. This is her shortly after we found her, she is ~6 weeks old here.
3b6SW.jpg

And this is her at about 12 weeks old (Attacking my toe! :rofl: )

Bonus picture of her taking a nap in my arms at 13-14 weeks. It's so rare for her to sit still for more than 2 seconds so I'm really glad I got a picture of it. :smitten:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then, last week, I found an ad of Craigslist for a prairie dog needing a new home (the boy was starting school and the mom was going back to work so they wouldn't have time for him anymore) and I posted on the squirrel boards I joined after rescuing Cherry, to see if anyone could help him. (Since I'm pretty low on funds and space) But after they told me how wonderful PDs are as pets and how sad he looked in his barren cage on Craigslist I caved :oops: , ran out and bought a new cage for Cherry, gave Cherry's old cage to the Prairie dog, and now I have TWO exotic rodents living with me. (I'm unable to work due to my disabilities, which gives me all the time in the WORLD to spend at home with my critters. So him and cherry and my cats and dogs get lots of love and attention)

His name is Squeekers (His original owners named him)
Qb5ce.jpg

As you can see he's pretty overweight from the poor diet they had him on for the last year (puppy food :no:) but cute as all hell and I love him to pieces already.
NyA5a.jpg

Just thought I would share my adventures in small mammal wildlife rescue over the past few months. Wondering if anyone else has done anything similar?

Awww, so do I. :D

they are both absolutely adorable and your stories warmed my heart.

love the pictures, especially of "Buddha" Squeekers. lol.

Aww beautiful stories and pictures. What is an appropriate diet for a prairie dog? I have never heard of them either but he looks very sweet!

they are both absolutely adorable and your stories warmed my heart.
love the pictures, especially of "Buddha" Squeekers. lol.

I know right? It cracks me up when he does that. It's so cute, and he actually does it really often, like a meerkat scanning around the room.

Aww beautiful stories and pictures. What is an appropriate diet for a prairie dog? I have never heard of them either but he looks very sweet!
Apparently about 75% of their diet is supposed to be various grasses and such, which translate to various "hay" for me. They can eat a few veggies as well. But they are meant to have a really high fiber diet to aid in digestion.

I've actually found a website online that sells "prairie dog food" that has a lot of grasses/ grains and minerals they need in the form of pellets, like rabbit food. Going to give that a try soon to see if he likes it :)

Oh they sound quite similar to rabbits. Do they have the same kind of teeth, which are constantly growing and need to be worn down?
Yes actually, both the prairie dog and squirrel need chew toys to keep their teeth trimmed :)

Adorable! All the animals get along with each other?
Relatively. I try to keep them separated but there are certain animals that don't bother each other. For example the 2 dogs are cool with everyone. The pirairie dog and squirrel are fine since they ignore each other (one likes to stay calm and low to the ground the other is flying round the room lol). MOST of the cats are actually being really fantastic with them, there is one cat who actively stalks them though. So I have to keep the one cat separated from them at all times when they're out of the cage. But otherwise it's all going surprisingly well.

Reactions: thefadedone