Michael Eavis throws support behind badger cull

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
"My first love apart from my wife and children are the dairy cows, because we've been doing dairy cows at Worthy Farm for 150 years," said Eavis. "If I thought for a moment badgers would infect my cows I know which side I'd be on
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/jun/21/michael-eavis-badger-cull-glastonbury-festival

I live in the cull trial zone, and I have seen two dead badgers on the road in the last week, which might be a coincidence. Maybe some of them are on the run.

Here is a good website on the cull issue:
Bovine TB is an Epidemic!!

We here at TBFree-England do not want to down-play the impact that Bovine TB has on the farmers affected, it is still a very important issue; but has the NFU been exaggerating the severity of the disease? And is it really at the epidemic proportions that they’d have us believe?
We’ve been trying to source data to verify these very questions, so imagine our surprise when we discovered the answers…
After spending hours trawling through Defra documents, we came across this site (Dairy Co) with figures presented from 2001 until April 2013. Below is their table with a calculation (in blue) of the average number of cattle ‘culled’ due to infection/number of tests:

As you can see, for over a decade, although the number of cattle slaughtered has increased so has the amount of testing; in 2001 only 1.2 million cattle were tested compared to 8 million in 2012. When you calculate the percentage of tested/slaughtered the figure has stayed constant between 0.4 – 0.6%.
It can be concluded, therefore, that increased testing increases the likelihood of discovering hidden infection within the herd. The NFU have openly admitted that only “49% [of cattle were tested] in 2012″, and although they claim that more cattle have tested positive this year compared to last, they have also admitted that “an estimated 61% of all cattle in England will be tested annually from 2013″ (NFU). This correlated exactly to the results presented in the table; if you test more you will find more.
So is bTB on the rise, or (as the results suggest) is it merely hidden within herds which are going untested?

http://www.tbfreeengland.uk.com/index.php/myth-busters/bovine-tb-is-an-epidemic/

http://www.tbfreeengland.uk.com/

I read that the policing of the cull/s might become too expensive.....One way to end the cull.

I don't know why people still consume dairy/beef or any animal products for that matter given the disease and unsanitary conditions they are raised in. I have to think if people truly understood they wouldn't touch the stuff.

I don't know why people still consume dairy/beef or any animal products for that matter given the disease and unsanitary conditions they are raised in. I have to think if people truly understood they wouldn't touch the stuff.

The majority do not care and don't want to know.

By the time we got to Glastonbury
We were half a million strong
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the dairy farmers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation

Reactions: ledboots and shyvas