Meowwwwwww....

Genter

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for Vegan catfood - both the "wet" and "dry" varieties?

Hi.
If you have an indoor cat, dry food can cause urinary tract problems, because indoor cats urinate less compared to an outdoor cat that is overall more active, for example with hunting and exploring territory. Cats naturally have most of their liquids from consumed food, like from mouse. An elderly cat especially needs liquids through food and I'd even add little bit of water into the wet cat food while having multiple litter boxes around the house kept clean at all times.

I really don't know anything about vegan cat food. UnnaturalVegan from YouTube has some content on cats and their diets on her site. I'd also recommend reading a book about cats that teaches how to take care of their needs with precision (I can't recommend any because I don't know any written in english) and watching Jackson Galaxys My Cat From Hell.

I don't know if this helps any. I just love talking about cats and I have read everything I could get my hands on about them. I also have experience from taking care of an diabetic elderly cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. He is an outdoor cat and I've tried him on some Vegan Cat food (from a tin) and he was less than keen!
Thanks for the feedback and links. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know - at the moment he's getting fish based food and I'm struggling with the concept!

Thanks for that. He is an outdoor cat and I've tried him on some Vegan Cat food (from a tin) and he was less than keen!
Thanks for the feedback and links. If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know - at the moment he's getting fish based food and I'm struggling with the concept!
I hope that you get the knowledge and help that you need. Helpful Vancouver Vet makes awesome videos about taking care of cats. You could also ask from your veterinarian about vegan cat food. Vets don't actually get education on nutrition and they only recommend scientifically proven diets from Royal Canin or Hill's Veterinary Diet when the pet gets sick, but some vets might have studied the subject on their own.

How have you introduced the new food to your cat? Have you mixed it up little by little with the old food? Usually it takes some weeks or a month to gradually change to the new food.

I'm kind of suspicious that vegan cat food could be harmful because Jackson Galaxy, who has more knowledge of cats than any other mortal on this planet, has promoted feeding cats with their natural food, like meat and organs with proper supplementation, or atleast wet cat food that has good quality meat in it. But in reality, I don't know so I can't say, I haven't studied this enough. It just seems to me that vegan diets for cats are still experimental and should be proceeded with caution. I'm sure you make the decision that is best for your cat and take him to the vet atleast two times a year and also when anything comes up.

I also love the fact that you have an outdoor cat so he has already some fresh meat to hunt and good exercise. Well, some cats also go around the neighborhood asking for food from familiar humans, even after they have been well fed at home. Some cats steal dog food and some even chocolate from their care takers cabinets. Damage from bad diet build up over time, even if there isn't much noticeable symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.

I re-watched the video from Unnatural Vegan about feeding vegan diet to cats. She had found some interesting information:
"Cats on a vegan diet can develop abnormally alkaline (high pH) urine due to the more alkaline pH of plant based proteins in comparison to the acidic pH of meat-based foods which cats have evolved to eat."
Can My Cat Be Healthy On a Vegan Diet - Armaiti May (Veganhealth.com)
Alkaline urine can cause struvite bladder crystals or stones. This can be especially dangerous to the male cats because of their anatomy they can get an obstruction of the urethra so the cat cannot urinate. The condition causes severe pain and if not immediately treated is lethal.
But I can understand why you would be uncomfortable buying meat based food for your cat. Maybe if you want to reduce the amount of meat in his diet you could feed him some vegan cat food -still mostly giving him the meat based while monitoring his urinary pH with the assistance of a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.
If you have an indoor cat, dry food can cause urinary tract problems, because indoor cats urinate less compared to an outdoor cat that is overall more active, for example with hunting and exploring territory. Cats naturally have most of their liquids from consumed food, like from mouse. An elderly cat especially needs liquids through food and I'd even add little bit of water into the wet cat food while having multiple litter boxes around the house kept clean at all times.

I really don't know anything about vegan cat food. UnnaturalVegan from YouTube has some content on cats and their diets on her site. I'd also recommend reading a book about cats that teaches how to take care of their needs with precision (I can't recommend any because I don't know any written in english) and watching Jackson Galaxys My Cat From Hell.

I don't know if this helps any. I just love talking about cats and I have read everything I could get my hands on about them. I also have experience from taking care of an diabetic elderly cat.
Vegan Cats. Examples of living healthy thriving VEGAN FED CATS in the slideshow ! Healthy Vegan fed cats have lived to the long age of 20 years old.

Those 2 in the picture that includes the Ginger cat with a Blackie cat eating with relish their UK Vegan catfood figured recently in 2018 on BBC TV also recorded talk ! Fed since 7 years and 2.5 years vegan fed cats thriving ! Magic and Jonke.

Celine and Poppy saved from Hillgrove Vivisection laboratories in the UK ! Poppy died just a few days before his 20th birthday Celine was under the Christmas Tree December 2018 a glossy coated bright eyed bushy tailed healthy vegan fed cat on this webpage. http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Cats_List_Examples.html
Vegan cats Celine and Poppy. The Siamese boy died last year just a few days short of his 20th Birthday. He had been vegan for about 10 years and remained very healthy, he died in his sleep (in owner bed). Celine the black cat was rescued from a vivisection farm estimated age 9 to 18 months old. 15 years later she had a routine check-up and the vet said she has the blood profile of a 7 year old cat! Celine has also enjoyed a vegan diet for 10 years as at December 2018 her age now 20 years old. Fed Benevo Kibble from www.vegepets.com in the UK.

Not only CRUELTY DEATH FREE food...but HEALTHY ingredients without any of the crap and below human standard ingredients so common in other non vegan petfoods !

Talk on USA Vegan Nation Radio of December 2018 here..
The talk ! http://wcuw.org/vegannation/V.N.12.27.18.Evolution.VeganCats.NoelleObcarskas-UK.mp3

Petfood protein based on animals content would constitute the 5th largest continent in the world population. It is a multi billion USD etc income to this deadly business.

The word OBLIGATE CARNIVORE comes from the FRENCH language. It means FORCED ! OBLIGE means FORCED ! to eat what was available at the time only that in fact gives the feline cat species HIGH RISK UTI/KIDNEY/CRYSTALS diseases if fed raw flesh....fact ! go see the scientific autopsies reports on 87 percent renal kidney diseases found in Wild Lions on those diets provided links to where to find those article in the links below. We are no longer FORCED to live off other animals lives !

Taurine...is SYNTHETIC so VEGAN as standard in ALL so labelled when quantified petfoods ! Fact ! many people do not realise this.

Cats as a species are WEAK genetically for health in having 30 percent heart murmers and UTI/Kidney/Crystals common problems. This is LOWER than their wild counterpart lion type felines who suffer 74 percent more than double the renal/kidney diseases (on raw flesh diets so obviously not healthy for them) but the same 30 percent species high heart diseases. Male cats especially neutered ones suffer more urinary crystals than females due to their narrower urine anatomy system. Links to the scientific studies with these findings on the general information page link.

To reduce the massive deaths of animals for human and pet animals' consumption we need to not support the animal agriculture industry.

Vegan Nation....a USA Radio Station recently aired a talk on VEGAN CATS.

The link to the recorded talk to listen to is on this page with after dinner and pre talk comments ...

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Nation_Radio_Vegan_Cats.html

some of the 20 year old Vegan cats mentioned also on this page....

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Cats_List_Examples.html

General links to expert vets etc on this page.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

Direct link to Andrew Knight highly qualified expert in Cat and Dog nutrition provides many scientific reports and finding here....
http://www.vegepets.info/

Dr Armaiti May also a highly qualified USA vet nutrition expert videos and webpages available links provided on information links provided here and on youtube also.

Evolution in USA have been providing healthy vegan petfoods for 30 years now in 2018.
https://www.evolutiondietstore.com/...38DC01B4CE53CF9D.p3plqscsfapp003?categoryId=5

Benevo in the UK have been providing healthy vegan petfoods for cats dogs ferrets also for years now.
https://veggiepets.com/

Ami in Italy, Yarrah in the Netherlands....Spain....All over the world now we have vegan health petfoods available to us. VEGUSTO a Switzerland based company also...Evolution. https://www.vegusto.ch/product_details/146

We can make our own home made with Compassion Circle kitten, Puppy as well as Adult Dogs Cats Ferrets foods recipes.
https://compassioncircle.com/cats/

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
@Vegan Dogs
Every bit of information is precious! But I haven't read every single web page you gave. And I seriously don't know what to think of this all. It completely contradicts everything I thought I knew.