Nutrition & Diet Meds Make Me Bloated?

Underdog

Friendly neighbourhood vegan
Reaction score
Last month I restarted the gym and have lost an inch from my waist... But this month, nada. I feel bloated in my belly all the time and it sticks out.

I am on quetiapine for bipolar 2. I haven't had the serious cravings, but bloating and nausea are annoying.

I was wondering if anybody could recommend me foods to avoid to minimise this issue... I am considering trying to be gluten free as since starting my meds, I don't have such an easy tine with bread... Also, sugary food makes me feel crap.

I work out 4-5 times a week and eat a mostly whole food diet. I just need to shift this bloating and to start losing weight again!

Usually the bloating is intestinal gas. To help minimize it, you should chew your food very thoroughly. Soak beans well and change cooking water when preparing them. Skim off any foam in the cooking water. No drinking straws or carbonated drinks ever. Eat with the meds to mimimize nausea, unless you were told not to. (I'm not familiar wirh that medication.)

See if soy might be the issue (common) by cutting it out for a week. Keep a food diary and note how you feel in the diary, cutting out food that seems to worsen the condition. Sleep on your left side (aids in releasing gas, not nice for sleeping partner. :p) Drink enough water. Gas-x (mylicon) works well, and some people take charcoal tablets.

Are you constipated from the med? That can contribute to the nausea and the gas.

And if you have an ED, please ignore this post as it has all these triggers. Hope you feel better soon. :)

The med is an antipsychotic... Had awful constipation earlier on. Now less so...

Will cut out carbonated drinks for sure... I don't rush my food, so chew it well. Maybe I should quit the gum too...

ETA it has been worse this week... and also, I have been eating soy yogurt. Didn't think soy could cause trouble.

The med is an antipsychotic... Had awful constipation earlier on. Now less so...

Will cut out carbonated drinks for sure... I don't rush my food, so chew it well. Maybe I should quit the gum too...

ETA it has been worse this week... and also, I have been eating soy yogurt. Didn't think soy could cause trouble.
Some people get very gassy from soy. It could be related to the constipation, though, as that causes nausea and gas bloating for sensitive digestive systems. I didnt think of gum, but air is probably swallowed with that, too.