Medications Advice

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am trying to stop using the following medications: Prozac, Ambien, Xanax, and hydroxyzine.

I have made several attempts over the years to stop taking the medications.

My biggest problem is that I will go calm to anxious within 30 minutes. I can usually stop an anxiety attack with one little Xanax.

Is there vegan food that can stop the anxiety super fast? Xanax is noticable in my system within 5 minutes. I will be totally chill in 30 minutes.

A can of light beer is far more fast acting and short lived than Xanax. Still, even a single can of beer can give me a hangover.

• Friendly
  • Wow
Reactions: Sproutskies and Val
I totally agree with David but you might want to try CBD. Personally, I don't believe even 1% of the claims that are made about CBD buy you might want to try it anyway. It's pretty cheap and harmless.

I can't remember if you have legal THC in Arizona but that is definitely worth trying. But it won't be covered with your medical insurance. As far as THC goes you might want to try a few types before you decide.

Most people agree that Indica reduces anxiety. I always liked Sativa better because sometimes Indica put me to sleep. Especially when paired with beer or wine. Indica paired with coffee or chocolate was pretty good. If I got very high on Sativa, at the end of the high I sometimes did have anxiety. if you have a marijuana dispensary nearby you can ask the Budista. They usually have a good idea of what to recommend and they hear their customer's comments all the time. But keep in mind that your mileage may vary.

Edibles usually don't include what strain its made of on the label. Instead, you could look for the THC:CBD ratio.
I have had really good luck with the high from 5:1 edibles. ( i buy the 10:2s and split them in half).

But I AM looking for the intoxicating effects. If you are not you might want to try a higher CBD ratio. I've tried 2:3s and hardly felt anything.

FYI

Pot would put me on sensory overload.

I was hopping to hear that cashews or blueberries would do the trick. I just need something that makes me sleepy. Childrens cough syrup can take the edge off sometimes.

I just need something that makes me sleepy.
Really? Then Tioctacid pills (concentrated Lipoic acid) will make you fall asleep, and what is more important, it will make you have a deep, good quality sleep, without any side effects (because it's not a neuroleptic drug). What Lipoic acid does - is it lowers blood pressure significantly and it feeds your mitochondriae and repairs mitochondrial DNA. It's also used as a hepatoprotector. I consume it every night (for a few years now), and sometimes - even at daytime, because it repairs my damaged liver. But it also is the only thing that allows me to fall asleep when my corrupt legs hurt at night even after a painkiller (and they hurt fiercely). My current quality of life is quite decent mostly because of Lipoic acid.
But if you decide to try it, pls keep in mind that a normal doze for an adult is 600 mg at a time. E.g. if you have liver damage, you may take it up to 2-3 times a day, but not simultaneously. 2 pills at once may be risky for someone. Such amounts as 10 pills at once may be fatal (so theoretically, if someone decides to commit suicide, Tioctacid is a good option,- he eats 20 pills, just falls asleep without pain and never wakes up). So please, don't overdo it. Nevertheless, 1 pill of 600 mg at a time won't do you any harm anyway, because Lipoic acid is natural for human body. Lipoic acid may have different names in different countries, but it's usually pretty much the same. In our country, it's "Tioctacid", "Tiogamma", "Tiolepta", etc. (because Lipoic acid is also called Tioctic acid). So you'll only need to find the drug with a similar active ingredient.

Reactions: Hog
Do you practice any meditation or Yoga ? Kundalini Yoga - Easing Your Anxiety

There are any number of foods that may make you sleepy.

Here is a good summary of the info

The article says warm milk and I think any kind of warm milk would do the trick but I think a glass of warm almond milk would really work well.

As far as a sleep aid goes I put a lot of stock into sublingual melatonin. I regularly take 1 mg of sublingual melatonin before bed. I've also seen some benefits from timed-release melatonin in larger doses (5 - 10).

Not to beat a dead horse you can also take THC to sleep. THC as a sleep aid is usually a much larger dose than a recreational dose. 15 - 30 mg. (where for me a rec dose is 5 - 10) . Its expensive so I only take it when I am sure I will have trouble sleeping. 25 mg puts me out for about 5 - 6 hours.

Reactions: Hog and Val
**Disclaimer, I am not a doctor so anything here is purely anecdotal. I'm not responsible for any misuse of information. Please consult a doctor before going off a med or any medical advice**

In general it seems like Xanax, Ativan, Valium, ... are some of the hardest to get off of due to their connection to our opioid receptors. Most of the drugs in this class have muscle relaxing properties which add to their addictive effects. Drug companies have paid big bucks to have these drugs scheduled as "non-habit forming or likely non-addictive". This could be further from the truth for the bulk of people trying to get off cold-turkey.

Depending on what your dosage is stopping an addictive med completely can cause some serious withdrawal effects. You want to keep track of how your body responds when slowly reducing. Many psychiatrists are working on an assembly line mentality and will not look out for your needs in the same way as you. My strategy was to cut the dose by as little as 10-20% per every couple of weeks. Even being off of the Benzo completely my body still has cravings.

Doing some intense cardio a few times a week combined with 30 min sauna on a regular basis helped reset my sympathetic nervous system aka fight/flight response. Also found alternative ways to manage anxiety through holotropic breathwork, micro-dosing, Wim Hof Breathing and Ice exposure, Yoga, DBT..

'A really good day' by Ayelet Waldman is a great book for anyone interested in micro-dosing. She mentions being able to get off of Ambien and gaining more mental stability.

Last edited:
Whoa okay that's a lot of meds to stop all at once. You could go into withdrawal and make yourself ill. Please talk to a doctor, withdrawals from certain meds is not just uncomfortable but dangerous if done the wrong way.

I am not dispensing medical advice, but I would guess you can start with xanax. You can take your other psych meds and relieve anxiety with something natural, such as chamomile or lavender tea, medical marijuana (in small doses, 1:1 with cbd), or other natural supplements.

But please talk to your doctor first, and I think you're ideally only supposed to stop one med at a time, but occasionally two.

• Agree
Reactions: Hog, Lou and Val
Pot would put me on sensory overload.

I was hopping to hear that cashews or blueberries would do the trick. I just need something that makes me sleepy. Childrens cough syrup can take the edge off sometimes.

Medical marijuana can be dispensed in tiny doses. Also, doing cbd 1:1 can balance the psychotropic effects of thc, making it totally stress relieving or even bringing on sleep. I don't know if it's available in your state. I currently have some vegan dark chocolate covered blueberries that only have about 2 mg which is pretty much the smallest dose you can take. I barely notice it, it's not like getting stoned, I just feel more relaxed and open, or it helps me fall asleep. If I take up to 5 mg it's hit or miss - even with 1:1 cbd, I could have a wonderful time or feel a bit of sensory overload.

Thank you for the advice. The thing about medicine is that I don't always need it. But, it sure is nice to know it is there.

I should start examining my eating, sleeping, and exercise habits.

Thank you for the advice. The thing about medicine is that I don't always need it. But, it sure is nice to know it is there.

I should start examining my eating, sleeping, and exercise habits.

One of the things that was touched upon in my mindfulness course is the mind/body connection. In the US (and some other Western countries, and sometimes even major cities in the East) we've been taught to push through sleep deprivation, hunger, or excessive amounts of stress to "get things done." While this is occasionally useful during emergencies or major life changes, having this attitude throughout life is very harmful to people's physical and mental health.

Many times people who are depressed either eat too much or too little, may be extremely sedentary or sleep too much. People who are anxious may sleep too little, skip meals or snack compulsively out of nervous habit, and push themselves past their point of emotional exhaustion.

Also, people who are deprived of quiet time in nature tend to be less mentally or emotionally balanced than people who regularly spend time outdoors, especially time outdoors away from electronics or loud music.

I have attended more than one workshop where people said "self-care is a radical act of great political importance." In order to do our best in the world to contribute our piece to it, we have to make sure we are taking care of ourselves first.

Reactions: Hog and Raven
I am trying to stop using the following medications: Prozac, Ambien, Xanax, and hydroxyzine.

I have made several attempts over the years to stop taking the medications.

My biggest problem is that I will go calm to anxious within 30 minutes. I can usually stop an anxiety attack with one little Xanax.

Is there vegan food that can stop the anxiety super fast? Xanax is noticable in my system within 5 minutes. I will be totally chill in 30 minutes.

A can of light beer is far more fast acting and short lived than Xanax. Still, even a single can of beer can give me a hangover.

My ex-GF got off large doses of Klonipan ( a benzodyne(sp?), a relative of xanax ).

1. Pick one drug at a time to get off of.
2. Visit your doctor to tell them your plan.
3. Keep a log
4. Every Monday half your dosage, perhaps with the aide of pill cuttter.
5. Stay with the new, smaller dose at least a week or until you feel fine at the lower dose.
6. Once a week or long passed, cut your dose again on a Monday. Keep stepping down until you are off.

Learn non-drug methods for dealing with anxiety.

1. Eat probiotic foods, consider getting a SIBO test, and consider taking a B-Complex supplement.
2. Regular, vigorous exercise.
3. Counseling, accompanied by your own study of self-help cognitive therapy.
4. Take long walks to dissipate anxiety.
5. Google on 4-7-8 breathing and box breathing, neither will restore you 100% but they will take the edge off of your anxiety, prevent a panic
attack where you pass out, and enable you to function.

I've found CV Sciences brand CBD Oil very effective for helping me stay asleep at night which really cranks the anxiety down.

Lavendar oil is great for taking an edge off and has been studied in Germany to be as effective as the weaker benzodynes, but with no habit forming properties.

The lavender oil brand I like to use
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072POIB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
👍
Links to convince you how wonderful lavender oil is

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24456909

http://examine.com/supplements/Lavender/

http://naturalmedicinejournal.com/journal/2012-02/lavender-oil-anxiety-and-depression-0

http://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/daily/depression-and-anxiety/lavender-reduces-signs-of-anxiety-in-women/

http://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Lavela-Softgels-Count/dp/B0072POIB8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414537785&sr=8-3&keywords=lavender+oil+pills+for+anxiet

I have been off my medications for a couple weeks now. It was easier than I expected. I might even be happier without the meds.

Thank you very much for your advice.

I just revisited this thread.

Could anyone describe how marijuana helps with anxiety? How long does it take to take work and how long does it last. How do your feel when you take marijuana? I would also like to know how much a therapeutic level dose would cost.

I am still off the medication for the most part. I recently asked for a trazodone prescription from my doctor. It is only a few dollars for a one-month supply. When things get really stressful, I will take a Xanax. It is reasonably fast-acting. Beer acts even more quickly. But, I do not like the side effects and the feeling after the beer wears off.

I don't know anything about cannabis.

I do have experience with CBD oil ( from hemp ). It isn't cheap( likely cheaper than medical marijuana), you build a tolerance, and have to cycle up and down to keep a dosage working, but it will help.

See my previous post in this thread about other herbals.

Lemon balm extract is cheap and it works.

Theanine, an amino acid from tea, is very strong, it works, and it is cheap. It can make you drowsy, so take it before bed. You will notice yourself feeling better during the day.

Check out 4-7-8 breathing. It takes practice and time for it to be effective, but it is free and only takes 2 minutes

I have been smoking pot for 50+ years. Two years ago I stopped smoking for health reasons but I still use edibles. I buy 5 mg gummies. Generally 20 gummies go for $20. The effects last about 4 hours. Edibles usually take about 30 - 40 minutes to take effect.

There are liquid sublingual forms where you can more accurately control the dosage. Plus they take effect faster but they are more expensive.

Five mg gives me a nice buzz. but my body weight is below average. Most people need 10. Dosages above 10 are pretty fun but for me I have to be moving around. I once took 40 mg and went to the movies. It was a good action packed movie but I fell asleep.

I don't think it is a cure for anxiety.

Perhaps if you took the time you might determine the right strain and the right dosage for you. but I've never found the right dosage or strain for me that can predictably reduce anxiety. And I've tried them all. In some situations it has increased anxiety. Especially when I take 10 mg or more - when I come down my anxiety starts to increase.

It is sort of a stereotype or meme. a common side effect is paranoia.

I've also experimented with CBD and found it to be close to useless.

I've also experimented with meditation and gotten not only good results but pretty much predictable and repeatable results. That 4- 7 - 8 technique is pretty fool proof. Just a couple of minutes of 4-7-9 lowers my blood pressure which may not be the best metric for anxiety but at least its objective.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
just got this in my news feeder today. Seemed relevant to our discussion but otherwise not especially informative