Animal Advocacy 'Meatless Mondays': LA urges residents to turn vegetarian one day a week

Werewolf Girl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...vegetarian-one-day-a-week#.UJ59BIoDINg.reddit

Los Angeles is hoping to persuade people to become vegetarian – at least one day per week. Under a resolution unanimously approved by the city council this week, all future Mondays in the City of Angels have been declared "Meatless Mondays."

Both the spiritual home of the hamburger and a haven for the health-obsessed, Los Angeles became the largest city in the nation to support the Meatless Monday campaign. The nonprofit initiative, started in 2003, is associated with Johns Hopkins University's public health school.It's part of an international campaign to cut down on meat consumption for health and environmental reasons.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who introduced the motion with Councilman Ed Reyes, noted the environmental impacts of meat production, and she emphasized that a high-meat diet has been linked to health problems such as colon, prostate, kidney and breast cancers, as well as heart disease.
"Eating less meat can prevent and even reverse some of our nation's most common illnesses," Perry said.
"We've become disconnected in some ways from the simple truth that our health is directly affected by the foods we eat,'' she added.

I love this but the comments section is particularly bad... People are using starving children in 3rd world countries as a reason why they should be able to scarf down fast food, seriously... what? :rolleyes:

There are some good comments in there, though. A couple of people having a good discussion.

People can get so angry and defensive about their 'right' to eat meat. I don't understand it. Surely this 'Meatless Monday' thing is merely a suggestion and not mandatory, so what's the freaking problem?

Oh lord, the comments :|

I think it's good that the government are trying to make people more aware, though. And it's awesome that they're promoting the health and environment aspects alongside the AR ones :D

What does it mean, they have "been declared Meatless Mondays"? I'm assuming meat will still be sold, purchased, cooked and eaten on those days. Are the officials going to provide vegetarian meals for people to buy easily on Mondays? I guess I don't see the point of this unless they are just raising awareness.

Probably not. Its just some nice MMMMMM alliteration for marketing purposes.
Give up meat for one day a week...Hmmm how about Monday that sounds meaty.

Those comments are making me cry a little at the stupid.

What does it mean, they have "been declared Meatless Mondays"? I'm assuming meat will still be sold, purchased, cooked and eaten on those days. Are the officials going to provide vegetarian meals for people to buy easily on Mondays? I guess I don't see the point of this unless they are just raising awareness.

Maybe it means in canteens in government buildings...That's the sort of thing I've seen it mean in other cases.

The idea of Meatless Mondays, while a good idea for raising awareness, always makes me a little bit sad. It's so depressing that so many people eat meat everyday that giving it up for one day is an actual effort.

I've also known someone who stopped being vegetarian after going to Africa because seeing starving people meant she couldn't say no to the abundance of food here, whatever the food.

The idea of Meatless Mondays, while a good idea for raising awareness, always makes me a little bit sad. It's so depressing that so many people eat meat everyday that giving it up for one day is an actual effort.

I've also known someone who stopped being vegetarian after going to Africa because seeing starving people meant she couldn't say no to the abundance of food here, whatever the food.

See that last part makes me sad, because if she understood the impact of meat-eating on worldwide poverty, it would have just reinforced her vegetarianism :(

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
I have this idea that I want to start bringing lunch for my co-workers on Mondays. I'll start with my vegan lasagna, salad and garlic bread. Maybe go for the chickpea pumpkin fritters after that. And my lentil taco salad. Of course I'll finish it all off with yummy desserts.

The downside is the obvious cost to me and the commitment factor for several weeks. I'm getting terribly commitment phobic in my old age.

See that last part makes me sad, because if she understood the impact of meat-eating on worldwide poverty, it would have just reinforced her vegetarianism :(

:yes:

I think she was probably just making excuses and getting defensive though.

I have this idea that I want to start bringing lunch for my co-workers on Mondays. I'll start with my vegan lasagna, salad and garlic bread. Maybe go for the chickpea pumpkin fritters after that. And my lentil taco salad. Of course I'll finish it all off with yummy desserts.

The downside is the obvious cost to me and the commitment factor for several weeks. I'm getting terribly commitment phobic in my old age.

Well you could always bring things in when you feel like it. Once a week or once a fortnight. They will likely appreciate it all the same : ) .

Reactions: KLS52

:yes:

Reactions: KLS52