shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Oxford May Day: Thousands descend on Magdalen Bridge - BBC News

Magdalen College Choir

A far nicer custom in Oxford has become one of the more popular and loveliest May Day ceremonies to date. The original buildings of the college itself have changed little since they were built at the end of the 15th century. The square tower which dominates the city of Oxford near Magdalen Bridge over the River Cherwell has a peal of ten bells. In the early hours of the morning at about 6.00 am the Choristers climb 144 feet to the top of the tower to welcome the sunrise by singing madrigals to the crowd below. There are other hymns and a peal of bells before the Morris Dancers take over for the next 2-3 hours. Along with this popular form of entertainment, there is beating the bounds and other age-old rituals of merrymaking throughout the city centre, the best news of all is that the pubs open at 7:00am.

- See more at: May Day - British Culture - British Customs and Traditions in May

Last edited:
Reactions: Second Summer
Nice weather this morning, so I'm sure it was a nice event. Jen almost went! She's going now, with little miss Summer, to see the Morris dancers. I have a cold, so still in bed ...

Nice weather this morning, so I'm sure it was a nice event. Jen almost went! She's going now, with little miss Summer, to see the Morris dancers. I have a cold, so still in bed ...

I think that it's worth going at least once, as it is apparently a great experience.:)

How far are you from Oxford ?

May Morning

Someone has already posted today's May Day celebrations on YT :

Morris dansers.

Last edited: