MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY Ranch Draws Fire OVER TRAPPED DEER KILLS

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Loser.
chair-to-the-head.gif

Matthew McConaughey has a side business ... letting people onto his property to hunt caged-in animals, and it has enraged animal rights activists.

Matt owns a ranch in Mertzon, Texas with his brother Mike. The ranch breeds and sells horses and cows. The ranch also offers whitetail deer hunting ... where people can come to hunt deer that can't run away.
Hunters can actually stay on the property during the hunting trip ... there is food, a tavern, and other amenities.
As for the hunt ... people can go out during the day and shoot the deer. Someone connected with the ranch tells TMZ there are 22,000 acres for the animals to roam, but animal rights groups claim the deer hang by the feeding area, which makes them easy targets.
The ranch touts the fact that in 2007 they "high fenced" the area so the deer couldn't escape...
Matthew McConaughey -- Ranch Draws Fire Over Trapped Deer Kills | TMZ.com

Those enraged animal rights activists should go vegan themselves if they truly want to help animals (or, if they are, they should protest in front of a McDonalds franchise).

This is in no way supporting what Matt McC does (c'mon, he's just another omni), but being morally outraged about people killing deer in an unfair way, how is that worse than the horse and cow breeding also conducted on his ranch (which I understand is not a point of criticism, as this is "normal")?
What do they think will happen to the cows?

Best regards,
Andy

It may be (it definitely is) inconsistent for people to care about the deer and not the cows, but would you really prefer that they care about neither? IMO, those who care about the deer at least have what I will call the compassion gene, and may be open, at some point, to extending the scope of that compassion. I don't think that ridiculing them, as seems to be the norm on veg*n boards, is the way to opening their eyes.

It may be (it definitely is) inconsistent for people to care about the deer and not the cows, but would you really prefer that they care about neither? IMO, those who care about the deer at least have what I will call the compassion gene, and may be open, at some point, to extending the scope of that compassion. I don't think that ridiculing them, as seems to be the norm on veg*n boards, is the way to opening their eyes.

While I agree that ridicule is not the best method, it is important to point out the blatant display of speciesism each and every time this compassion is shown. One day, through education and continually reminding them of this - their conscience may connect the dots. It takes time. But you can't let them off the hook all together. And it can be done without making them feel as though they are being ridiculed or chastised, which should be the goal.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
While I agree that ridicule is not the best method, it is important to point out the blatant display of speciesism each and every time this compassion is shown. One day, through education and continually reminding them of this - their conscience may connect the dots. It takes time. But you can't let them off the hook all together. And it can be done without making them feel as though they are being ridiculed or chastised, which should be the goal.
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: KLS52

Oh, I agree, and I make it a point always to point out the arbitrariness of cherishing one species while chowing down on another, as tactfully as I can.

I do try to remember, however, that people generally don't react well to being ridiculed, and I also try to remember that I used to also be one of those arbitrary people who cherished some animals and ate and wore others.

Oh, I agree, and I make it a point always to point out the arbitrariness of cherishing one species while chowing down on another, as tactfully as I can.

I do try to remember, however, that people generally don't react well to being ridiculed, and I also try to remember that I used to also be one of those arbitrary people who cherished some animals and ate and wore others.

Admitedly, as time goes on, it gets more and more difficult not to just want to slap the **** out of those people, in a 'you have the knowledge and ability to understand this. WAKE UP!' way. And though I was one of those people at one time too, who 'loved' animals, even though I ate meat, I sometimes wish someone would have slapped the **** out of me.

I recently got into it with a few of my omni friends over climate change. They didn't take kindly to my suggesting it was hypocritical for them to profess concern for the environment and still eat meat. And since they had no reasonable or valid argument in retort - things went south quickly. It's amazing how even really intelligent people wade down into mud when challenged. I was just waiting for one of them to say something like: 'but you kill plants!' It was almost that bad. Though we ended that conversation amicably, I'm pretty sure the next time the topic comes up again, whether I'm around or not, they'll remember that discussion, because it made them uncomfortable. That's the important thing.