Manure

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
How does everyone feel about using crops etc that have had manure used to fertilise them?
I understand it's a natural fertiliser and needs to go back into the ground, regardless of the quality of life of the animal it came from. The animals in the meat and dairy industry aren't being exploited for them manure, though it does concern me that they could be making money from the manure, resulting in me benefiting :-/ xxx

There is such a thing as veganic gardening / agriculture that doesn't use manure from animals, but it's just not practical for most of us to grow our own food or to find a supplier of produce from veganic agriculture. I wish it was more widespread though.

Thanks everyone. I keep telling myself that it has to go back to the ground somewhere...and the reason the animals suffered wasn't actually for the manure. I just don't like to think I've had any involvement with anyone receiving money after treating animals in the way that they do :-( xxx

Have just read about 'stock-free farmers' (arable farmers who don't use manures or other products from farmed animals).
Does anyone know any more about them? Is this popular in the uk? Is there a way to know which farmers do this? Xxx