Mandated Vegan Meals in State Institutions

Pythagoras

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Strict vegetarian
Why not mandate vegan meals in state-run schools, hospitals, prisons, etc. If such mandates were ever implemented we could actually solve many of our most serious and intractable problems.

Mass participation in veganism would help alleviate:

Obesity and heart disease

Habitat loss and animal extinction

Animal cruelty

Global warming

Reactions: Ahimsa and Lou
Some public school districts offer vegan options: Vegan School Lunches Expand Despite Opposition From Meat Industry.
That’s great!

I think the kids would like something similar to the impossible burger. Meatless burgers have improved a lot and burgers are what the children are used to eating. Meatless tacos or chicken nuggets might also be popular. In conjunction with the mandate I suggest a public relations campaign to convince kids vegan food is delicious (and cool).

Reactions: Lou
Why not mandate vegan meals in state-run schools, hospitals, prisons, etc. If such mandates were ever implemented we could actually solve many of our most serious and intractable problems.

Animal cruelty

Global warming
Are you suggesting a mandate to provide vegan options? Or a mandate to make all meals vegan?

Are you suggesting a mandate to provide vegan options? Or a mandate to make all meals vegan?
Maybe we could start with one mandated vegan meal per week, perhaps meatless burgers. If this works we could move to two or three mandated vegan meals per week.

Libertarians will object, but I think moving toward a vegan society is of tremendous importance and these mandates are justified.

Maybe we could start with one mandated vegan meal per week, perhaps meatless burgers. If this works we could move to two or three mandated vegan meals per week.

Libertarians will object, but I think moving toward a vegan society is of tremendous importance and these mandates are justified.
Mandates on the already disenfranchised 🙄
How about excluding meat from the SNAP benefits?

Or, how about stopping subsidies to meat and dairy, and mandating vegan options in all schools, hospitals, nursing homes.....

Reactions: Lou
That’s great!

I think the kids would like something similar to the impossible burger. Meatless burgers have improved a lot and burgers are what the children are used to eating. Meatless tacos or chicken nuggets might also be popular. In conjunction with the mandate I suggest a public relations campaign to convince kids vegan food is delicious (and cool).
There are classroom plant-based nutrition programs. Here is one: Plant Based Food Education and Advocacy . I spoke to the organizer at a vegan festival. She has actually taught her program in public schools! She is able to do this because she promotes plant-based eating based on its benefits to nutrition and the environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and Pythagoras
Mandates on the already disenfranchised 🙄
How about excluding meat from the SNAP benefits?

Or, how about stopping subsidies to meat and dairy, and mandating vegan options in all schools, hospitals, nursing homes.....
Are the students' parents disenfranchised?

Stopping subsidies is a great idea.

Are we are serious about ending meat-eating?

Are the students' parents disenfranchised?

Stopping subsidies is a great idea.

Are we are serious about ending meat-eating?
Still trying to understand if you're proposing mandating OPTIONS in state institutions, or mandating vegan meals altogether
The school system is simply offering days with vegetarian and vegan options, along side the meat choices

Animal cruelty

Global warming
If you mandate vegan food in schools, you will also have to put guards on the gates otherwise the kids will do what I used to do - sneak off to the nearest chip shop. Not a good idea at all, despite which it will come across to the children as hypocrisy and encourage rebellion. I don't believe in forcing veganism onto people as long as it is difficult to find food that they can enjoy. We force enough on our children already. As long as we can choose we can experiment and find foods that suit us. If they had tried to force a vegan diet on me at school, I would simply have bunked off for chips or simply starved. I couldn't possibly have eaten it. We first need to produce food that is a suitable alternative to what they are used to and vegan food is nothing like it.

If you mandate vegan food in schools, you will also have to put guards on the gates otherwise the kids will do what I used to do - sneak off to the nearest chip shop. Not a good idea at all, despite which it will come across to the children as hypocrisy and encourage rebellion. I don't believe in forcing veganism onto people as long as it is difficult to find food that they can enjoy. We force enough on our children already. As long as we can choose we can experiment and find foods that suit us. If they had tried to force a vegan diet on me at school, I would simply have bunked off for chips or simply starved. I couldn't possibly have eaten it. We first need to produce food that is a suitable alternative to what they are used to and vegan food is nothing like it.
Kids sneak off and eat junk food NOW. I don't think we should just give in and provide kids with soda and potato chips for lunch.

The vegan alternatives have improved! Have you had an Impossible burger? I've tried them and they taste very close to the real thing.

If we give kids what they like and are used to (burgers, tacos, chicken nuggets) in vegan form I think we can win them over. A public relations campaign (featuring athletic and attractive spokespeople) will also help.

Fast food companies got the kids hooked on hamburgers to begin with. Why can't we do the same but with healthier food that won't wreck the planet? Maybe we could give out little toys with the food like they do at McDonald’s.

Last edited:
Other ideas:

Keep the change quiet. Kids might not even notice they are no longer eating meat.

Associate a vegan diet with youthful rebellion. Cigarettes and music and clothes are marketed this way, why not vegan food?

We have some of that stuff here in California. We even have a vegan school! Granted it is a private school but still - it's a freaking vegan school.

And
" the Los Angeles Unified School District, the nation’s second largest public school system, developed an implementation plan: to show its support for the city’s resolution, it launched a 100% Meatless Monday menu in all of its cafeterias! An estimated 650,000 meat-free meals are served to students on the first day of each week."

Reactions: Pythagoras