Low Waste Store Just Opened Up In My Town

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yay, finally.

Just 2 blocks from me. It has a lot of thoughtful items. I picked up a bamboo rack for drying my plastic bags. It would also work to dry my metal water bottles.

They had a complete line of BYOB (bring your own bottle) c!eaners, moisturizers, shampoos, etc. I like body wash better than soap, but I just couldn't deal with the plastic bottle. And being able to bring in my own bottle to get moisturizer was really nice. And a lot cheaper, too.

My neighborhood coop finally got rid of the plastic bag thing. I take my mesh bags and canvas shopping bag, and manage to save about 10 plastic bags. They even got rid of those plastic celery bags.

My favorite bakery hands me my loaf of bread in a paper bag, and I transfer it to a reusable plastic bag when I get home.

It is getting a lot easier to reduce the plastics.

Thankfully, stores like this are becoming more common. Cutting waste where we can, bringing and reusing our own containers, and choosing things with less/no packaging might be small things, but small progress is still progress.

I had fallen out of the habit of bringing many of my re-usable items (bags, coffee mug, utensils, jars) over the course of the pandemic, as a lot of stores near us weren't allowing it for health concerns. Now that things aren't as bad, I'm trying to get back into the swing of it and focus on supporting local businesses and sellers that offer more low waste options. It's daunting at first, but as we adjust our habits it feels so much easier, and I love supporting them. I've even been looking at locally made, plastic-free options for things like make-up.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I've seeing some really good prices at the low waste store on moisturizers and face serums. I took my pricey face serum ( it was a gift) bottle in and compared the ingredients. The $40 per ounce serum was exactly the same ingredients as the $6 per ounce BYOB serum at the low waste store.