Plastic

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I am thinking of starting to make my own reusable bags from donated bits of material (shirts, curtains, bed sheets etc) from freecycle websites. And seriously limiting my use of plastic bags.
I use my 'bags for life' for the food shopping. But any other plastic bags that make their way into the house are used daily when I empty the cat litter tray...alternative suggestions welcome.
The kitchen bin is lined with a plastic bag that is emptied every few days.
We have a food recycling bin in the kitchen for scraps and tea bags. This is biodegradable though.

My other plastic confession is straws. Whether it's at home or when I'm out, I prefer to drink through a straw. I'm thinking if getting a 'proper' one at home to keep and wash each time. And will have to have some self control when I'm out. Unless anyone has any words of wisdom to make me feel less guilty lol xxx

Oh oh oh! Ecovegal featured a lady nearly uses no plastic..it was a couple months ago. When I have time I'll look it up and post it.

Kitchen bin can be divided into wet and dry. Anything wet can be put in the freezer (straight away before it starts decaying of course). Most dry things can be recycled. Then don't buy dry things that can't be recycled. Do you have a kitchen composter? I used to have a worm bin. It was great!

Edit: LOL I guess you DO have a composter. It didn't click for me when you said "food recycling".

I like to use straws sometimes, too, and have felt guilt over it. I've tried some washable straws, but find them difficult to keep completely clean and end up throwing them away after awhile. I haven't tried the metal straws, as I'm too paranoid to not be able to easily see all the way inside there. I also haven't tried the glass straws, because I know I would end up breaking them.

I like to use straws sometimes, too, and have felt guilt over it. I've tried some washable straws, but find them difficult to keep completely clean and end up throwing them away after awhile.

Same here. They really need to make some sort of utensil that will clean those straws.

I actually have one of these things that's meant to clean sippy cup lids, but I just always imagine it's still dirty in the very middle or something. Before I got it, I had straws that seemed clean then had mold growing inside, so I always think there's mold in there (though there's probably not).

I do use a cup with a heavy plastic straw by my bed, but I'm ok with that one because I only ever put water in there, and run it through the dishwasher maybe once a week.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
Maybe a fat pipe cleaner?

Oh good idea!

Have you tried soaking them in bicarbonate of soda and water ?

Nope never even considered that. I'll have to try it out.

Maybe a small bit of material (like a corner of what you'd clean reading glasses with) and a straightened coat hanger lol xxx

I've tried using a napkin or thin cloth wrapped around a chopstick. :D Still didn't work out all that well.. Even resorted to using a q-tip at times to.

I want to get a reusable glass straw--I was thinking of cleaning it with a pipe cleaner and the occasional soak in bicarb and water. The metal ones were cheaper but i imagine really cold on your lips. I'd like to have a little roll bag to put in my handbag with a set of utensils for all those times when you are given plastic spoons etc.

Reactions: KLS52
I have a set of those bamboo utensils that come in a little pouch that I keep with my lunch bag, and eat with those instead of using disposable plastic utensils at work.

Reactions: ledboots
Straight vinegar also kills and prevents mold. Mold doesn't like acids. I guess it doesn't like bases either. Must only like a narrow range around neutral.

Reactions: ledboots
Well, plastic bags were stopped from coming into the house a few weeks ago. I still have a few rolls of kitchen bin liners to go but I have stopped emptying the litter tray into a bag first before taking it out to the big bin. One small step...xxx

Reactions: mary1

I'm still pretty terrible about plastic... not so much water bottles anymore... but now, at least, I am very aware of how much I use & what I do with it.

I don't use plastic grocery bags, but I use far too many baggies (for veggies). I need a lot of work in the used-produce-storage department.... :sadnod:

I really wanna get these! :up: Reusable Silicone Food Savers. If you love your food, give it a hug!

Food-Huggers.jpg

Last edited:
Plastic never goes away. And it's increasingly finding its way into our oceans and onto our beaches. In the Los Angeles area alone, 10 metric tons of plastic fragments — like grocery bags, straws and soda bottles — are carried into the Pacific Ocean every day. Today billions of pounds of plastic can be found in swirling convergences making up about 40 percent of the world's ocean surfaces.
Ocean Plastics Pollution