Nutrition & Diet Liquid diet?

Mel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Not sure whether I should have posted this in here or in health issues, but anyway...

Some of you may already know about my abscess problem right now. There is some considerable pain, and I'm managing it as well as I can with some meds.

An (almost) bigger problem is that I can barely eat. I'm drinking lots of water and some soy milk for some kind of nutrient, but I know I can't just be on a soy milk and water diet. I just tried to eat an orange, and while it's soft enough, I can barely shove the pieces past my lips without causing a lot of pain to my jaw. What ends up happening is that hours before I can take more pain meds, I start feeling a lot of pain again, and I can't make it better!

What are some liquid supplements that I can take that is at least vegetarian (vegan would be better), that won't break the bank (I know, I'm asking a lot).

And also, any good ideas for smoothies. I never really did smoothies, but I realise that this could be good for me right now.

I plan to see a doctor about the abscess tomorrow and get treatment for it, but I still need to sustain myself in the meantime. Help!

I was going to suggest green smoothies.
Mine are pretty simple: some leafy green (usually baby spinach), banana, apple, little OJ, whirl it around. then I add ice to make it cold and something like agave to help sweeten it up. You can just add more liquid to make it thinner so it goes down easier because of your abscess.

Yeah I would second the green smoothies, but I would add blueberries, strawberries, mango, any highly colored fruits, because those are the most nutrient dense. Make blended soups too, raw or cooked.

Oh yes, I like blueberries and strawberries in mine, too. You really can't go wrong with it.

Cool thanks. I'll go to the shop and get a few things to make some smoothies!

I'm so hungry!!

Some naked juice products are vegan. I find them quite filling. As for vegetarian products, you could try Slim Fast or something similar. There's also V8 smoothies (not sure if vegan).

Making smoothies yourself is your best choice overall, I think, in terms of taste, health and cost-efficiency. In terms of time and space constraints you could try the above.

Reactions: thefadedone
Bolthouse farms also make a lot of protein shakes that are vegan and filling.

Also soups! If you have a blender of any kind you can make a lot of different pureed soups. You might have to eat them at room temperature though if your tooth is very sensitive to extreme hot or cold temperatures.