lettuce varieties with most vitamin c aside from kale

LittleSquirrel

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Can anybody rank lettuce/leaf plants by highest vitamin C content? I know Kale has the most, but what would be the next top 3? I think swiss chard and mustard greens have a lot. How do romaine and green/red leaf compare? Spinach? There is a lot of conflicting nutritional fact information for lettuce.
Another question - is oak leaf the same as green and red leaf? There's so many varieites of leaves...

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Can anybody rank lettuce/leaf plants by highest vitamin C content? I know Kale has the most, but what would be the next top 3? I think swiss chard and mustard greens have a lot. How do romaine and green/red leaf compare? Spinach? There is a lot of conflicting nutritional fact information for lettuce.
Another question - is oak leaf the same as green and red leaf? There's so many varieites of leaves...
Hi LittleSquirrel.🌸 I hope this study might help a little:

P.S. Lol, i eat cabbage every single day and don't even bother.😁 All cruciferous vegetables are high in vitamin C.🥦 (Kiwis are extremely rich too).🥝

I eat broccoli every now and then too. I have acid reflux so I stay away from citrus and haven't been eating a lot of fruit because of possible SIBO (you're not even supposed to eat broccoli if you have it). This is frustrating. I eat it anyway because I know I need the nutrients. I am wondering how to get extra vitamin C on days I don't eat broccoli.

I eat broccoli every now and then too. I have acid reflux so I stay away from citrus and haven't been eating a lot of fruit because of possible SIBO (you're not even supposed to eat broccoli if you have it). This is frustrating. I eat it anyway because I know I need the nutrients. I am wondering how to get extra vitamin C on days I don't eat broccoli.
I wonder, would white cabbage suit you? It's very nutritious (including vit.C) and it has less distinctive quantity of sulforaphanes, which may irritate sensitive stomachs. White cabbage is rich in vitamin U,- that's why it heals individuals with stomach issues, such as gastritis, ulcer, high acidity, reflux, indigestion of different origin, etc. When eaten raw, white cabbage is sweet and cannot cause any problems, but when you make pure juice out of the whole head, the juice you get in the end is very astringent. So i would advise adding raw white cabbage to your meals. You won't need much, and it's "highly likely", that even existing stomach issues will go away. It just needs to be stored properly. I manage to keep it fresh for months. All you need is to seal the head in a big plastic bag (like bags for garbage), having poured cold water into that bag so that it covers the cabbage, let excessive air out, put it in some bigger bowl/container, and put it in the fridge. See, - the main requirement is that it should be kept without any access of oxygen, (plus it will continue growing and thriving in cold water). The best cruciferous vegetable for this kind of storage method is napa-cabbage. Kale is pretty endurant too. Cavalo nero is the same. Even swiss chard doesn't get spoiled (a.k.a. rotten) for a longer period of time. Of course, miracles don't happen, and every veggie will go bad eventually (according to its structure), but this method of storage prolongs veggies' lives significantly.😎

Thank you so much for that reccomendation. I will give it a try. I have a couple "Veji Bags" that I store lettuce in. Of all the dumb things I've bought online the Veji bags I do not regret. They really do work. I don't get through a day without something green. I'll give the white cabbage a try.

Dried chives are very rich in vitamin C: Nutrition Facts For Dried Chives

Parsley also a good one: Nutrition Facts For Parsley

Can you eat root vegetables? Even potatoes and jicama are pretty good sources of vitamin C:
Potato: Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, baked Nutrition Facts & Calories
Jicama: Yambean (jicama), raw Nutrition Facts & Calories

Thank you so much for that reccomendation. I will give it a try. I have a couple "Veji Bags" that I store lettuce in. Of all the dumb things I've bought online the Veji bags I do not regret. They really do work. I don't get through a day without something green. I'll give the white cabbage a try.
David3 is right. I didn't think that i should tell you about "emergency measures", such as raw potatoes or "pine beer", because the times when i had severe vit.C deficiency are gone, and i "have relaxed".
3 emergency measures:
1) I've just been talking to my mom about raw potato juice. When i was little, i was suffering from mild (and not so very) scurvy. It's no wonder, that if it wasn't scurvy, then it was stomatitis (that's how my life looked: stomatitis-scurvy-stomatitis-scurvy, etc.) The only real cure for it was raw potato juice. We couldn't afford juicing potatoes, so i just was chewing a big chunk of raw potato for an hour. It always helped. When the hard economical crisis was gone, we started eating more diversed diets, and stomatitis rarely occured (scurvy never occured to me again). So, raw(!) potatoes and raw potato juice can do wonders to you. Nevertheless, it's not recommended to swallow raw potato chunks, because it's very starchy, and who knows what reaction it might cause in your stomach... But, in general, drinking potato juice is safe, and i would recommend trying a whole course of this treatment, until you feel some results.
2) When i got older (about 15 y.o.), slight stomatitis appeared again. I went to the woods (not far from our summer cottage), got some branches from young(!) pines, steeped them (with needles) in room temp. water for 1 night and drank it up. Of course, it helped, because "pine beer" is a powerful remedy from scurvy, though strictly speaking, it's not "pine beer", just steeped branches. So if you have pines at where you are, you may also try this remedy.
3) As a dweller of ~60° latitude, i got used to birch juice since my childhood, though i don't drink it anymore (i don't need it that much). It's considered a wonderful remedy for scurvey and stomatitis (vit.C deficiency), and other health conditions. It's super beneficial on many many points. I doubt that there are birch woods in your area, but if you ever find birches at where you are, you can attach a DIY juice collector to a tree (it's easy to make), wait for a day and enjoy drinking birch juice (sap).
P.S. i repeat that chewing raw potatoes and drinking raw potato juice is a magic pill for treating scurvy. At least, it's always available even for citizens who live in concrete jungle.😊

That's interesting. Because of my bloating issues I would not eat mashed potatoes with milk. My mom started to just boil them, drain the water and save it, mash and add the water back in. I would drink the extra potato liquid she didn't use because it tasted good to me for some reason. I thought it was the salt but maybe I needed something in it.
On a similar topic - They say a lot of vitamin c is boiled out of veggies. If you drink the liquid they were boiled in, are you getting the majority of the vitamin C that was lost in the boiling process? Or does the heat process itself damage it? I am wondering is the vitamin C simply leeching out into the water or is it damaged?

• Friendly
That's interesting. Because of my bloating issues I would not eat mashed potatoes with milk. My mom started to just boil them, drain the water and save it, mash and add the water back in. I would drink the extra potato liquid she didn't use because it tasted good to me for some reason. I thought it was the salt but maybe I needed something in it.
On a similar topic - They say a lot of vitamin c is boiled out of veggies. If you drink the liquid they were boiled in, are you getting the majority of the vitamin C that was lost in the boiling process? Or does the heat process itself damage it? I am wondering is the vitamin C simply leeching out into the water or is it damaged?
That's true: extra potato liquid (after boiling) cures ulcer and gastritis. That's what George Gershwin was doing most of his life (drinking it). It would help and relieve his pain, but as soon as Gershwin had stomach cancer, he died anyway. (OTOH, he was eating ridiculous amounts of dairy cottage cheese, because he believed it helps his stomach, so he obviously killed himself earlier by this cottage cheese).
My dad used to drink boiled potato liquid too,- until he had a surgery on stomach cancer removal. But if you can drink raw potato juice,- go for it, as it's an absolutely different thing. I wouldn't recommend to you the things that i haven't tried myself. Everything that i've been talking about so far, is checked out by me. My "magical" recovery from scurvy due to raw potatoes is not magical at all, and i think it's the best proof that you could give it a try. After all, you don't lose anything, don't you...

The quickest path to vitamin C bliss is to type "foods highest in vitamin C" into Google.

You can also use cronometer.com to see how much vitamin C is in the food and portions of food you want to eat.

Kale is not a lettuce. Green leafy vegetables belong to many different families. Kale is a member of the cruciferous ( cabbage related ) family, one of the largest.

Eat lettuce because you like it, not because you want to use it as a nutrition source.

Lettuce has a lot of nutrition per calorie, but lettuce is very, very, very low calorie.

You would need to eat massive amounts of lettuce to get any significant amount of any nutrient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou

Tomatoes are also a good source of vitamin C, and you can eat them raw. Same with jicama.