Legal Discrimination Against Pet Owners?

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
Most forms of discrimination are illegal in the United States when it comes to renting a home. However, families with pets face the challenge of not only finding properties that accept pets but also paying often exorbitant pet deposits, fees, and additional rent. This video looks into the logic (or lack thereof) behind pet policies, their negative impact on taxpayers, and the issue of pets as property.

There's one tiny glimmer of good news: There's a movement afoot to prevent landlords from requiring renters to get their cats declawed as a condition of occupancy. It's now illegal in California and Rhode Island. I don't know about other states.

California Law: Landlords Can't Require Cat Declawing | Catster

R.I. makes it illegal to require cat declawing - Boston.com

I said tiny glimmer because landlords can still prevent cat guardians from renting or evict tenants who bring a cat into a no pet building. But at least tenants in those two states won't be forced into making an impossible choice: Mutilate their precious furbaby or move out.

The laws also prevent landlords from requiring a debarking procedure on dogs.

Last edited:
There's one tiny glimmer of good news: There's a movement afoot to prevent landlords from requiring renters to get their cats declawed as a condition of occupancy. It's now illegal in California and Rhode Island. I don't know about other states.

California Law: Landlords Can't Require Cat Declawing | Catster

R.I. makes it illegal to require cat declawing - Boston.com

I said tiny glimmer because landlords can still prevent cat guardians from renting or evict tenants who bring a cat into a no pet building. But at least tenants in those two states won't be forced into making an impossible choice: Mutilate their precious furbaby or move out.

The laws also prevent landlords from requiring a debarking procedure on dogs.
Thank you for sharing this. I was going to include the declaw issue but the video was getting long. Great to hear there's a fight against it. it's ridiculous.

I am lucky enough to own my own home right now but I worry, in a few years, when our household income is less and we sell our house and have to rent, if we will be able to find affordable housing that will allow for cats.

Reactions: Bite Size Vegan
I am lucky enough to own my own home right now but I worry, in a few years, when our household income is less and we sell our house and have to rent, if we will be able to find affordable housing that will allow for cats.
I hope it all works out. That's always such a difficult position to be in

It's always a worry when you have pets. Renting. I did find though, when I sold my house and moved back to apartment living that there were many more choices for renting with pets in my area then when I first moved to this town.

I don't know your age but I'm looking into buying a mobile home in a 55+ park. Yes I'm that old. I love my apartment, but I too worry about income in my older years. My apartment rent has been raised very little in the last 6 years. But if the owners sold this complex, rents could increase as I think we are a bit under market value, especially for established renters.

I actually have an appointment to look at a nice newer mobile this week. I'm scared of the change, but I think it could be worth it. I know people who live in adult parks who have over the "official" pet limit and no one cares.

It was a nightmare when I had to find a new place, having multiple small animals and a cat. No limit or monthly fee, but there is a yearly dog fee.