Kind language about animals

I agree with your point that words convey hidden meanings and views every time we use them. Using the very term "animal" puts them in an inferior position, and implies that we humans are the boss of the world, who choose to show benevolence and kindness to animals, at our mercy can these poor dimwitted creatures live on.

While biologists may use "animals" and "humans" merely as a way of distinguishing between different species, when used in everyday language it has the effect of continuously drawing the boundary between humans and animals, this becomes solid in our mind that even when we act out of goodwill towards them there can be a lingering sense of superiority influencing our behavior, which doesn't feel morally right.

If I may coin a word: "being" seems like a neutral word that signifies equality, we are human beings, animals are other living beings, we're all conscious beings. This puts an emphasis on what we share in common: consciousness

Last edited:
It has been cogently argued that altruism and other aspects of human "morality" are baked into human genetic makeup in order to increase our chances of survival, both as individuals, as groups, and as a species.

IOW, there's no difference in that respect between us and nonhuman animals, except for our ability to articulate these concepts verbally.

I agree but I'd even push further. We don't fully understand the communication of other animals and probably never will. My dog understands many more aspects of human verbal and nonverbal communication than I understand of the canine variety. Our language skills are incredibly species-specific And I think we often make the mistake of thinking that ours is superior. It's not, it's just different.

It appears that we have much more of an ability to communicate abstract thoughts to each other than animals do, but is that Superior to a more present-based communication system? Our wonderful ability to communicate abstract thoughts has produced the ability to end all life on this planet in a few minutes. Is this Superior?

Reactions: Sax