keto&vegan, anyone tried?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15369
  • Start date
Good timing - received Dr McDougall's email this morning and his topic is Keto - maybe this will help explain why it is not good.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Hello,
i've started a keto-vegan diet for 7days, the goal are 30days. Days 3&4 are the hardest ones but now it's getting much better. I would like to find anyone who already did it to share our experiences. Thank you😊
I have and saw the predictable change when I stepped on the scale. However, I've come to learn that while this is a universally attractive thing, it's deceiving. You're losing water weight and muscle mass. More disturbingly, ketones observed with cancer cells in a petri dish act as fuel to help the cancer cells multiply. Everyone has cancer cells. It's only a matter of your habits if or when those cells decide to become a problem. There are no long-term benefits for anyone. The only exception is if you're epileptic. The research army at nutritionfacts.org has done well to balance the available evidence -- and it's a considerable task.

I have and saw the predictable change when I stepped on the scale. However, I've come to learn that while this is a universally attractive thing, it's deceiving. You're losing water weight and muscle mass. More disturbingly, ketones observed with cancer cells in a petri dish act as fuel to help the cancer cells multiply. Everyone has cancer cells. It's only a matter of your habits if or when those cells decide to become a problem. There are no long-term benefits for anyone. The only exception is if you're epileptic. The research army at nutritionfacts.org has done well to balance the available evidence -- and it's a considerable task.
hello, sentences as "there are no long-term benefits for anyone" show me that you have no idea, maybe it's not a magical solution for all health problems but it has a lot of potential benefits.

The role of blood sugar in cancer

Many cancer therapies are designed to target the biological differences between cancer cells and normal cells.

Nearly all cancer cells share one common trait: They feed off carbs or blood sugar in order to grow and multiply (2, 3Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).

When you follow a ketogenic diet, some of the standard metabolic processes are altered, and your blood sugar levels go way down (2, 3Trusted Source).

Basically, this is claimed to “starve” the cancer cells of fuel.

As in all living cells, the long-term effect of this “starvation” may be that the cancer cells will grow more slowly, decrease in size, or possibly even die.

Cancer cells express an abnormal metabolism characterized by increased glucose consumption owing to genetic mutations and mitochondrial dysfunction. Previous studies indicate that unlike healthy tissues, cancer cells are unable to effectively use ketone bodies for energy. Furthermore, ketones inhibit the proliferation and viability of cultured tumor cells.

please research a bit before answer

Cancer cells express an abnormal metabolism characterized by increased glucose consumption owing to genetic mutations and mitochondrial dysfunction. Previous studies indicate that unlike healthy tissues, cancer cells are unable to effectively use ketone bodies for energy. Furthermore, ketones inhibit the proliferation and viability of cultured tumor cells.

please research a bit before answer

unfortunately that is not the only thing that cancer cells feed on, if it was then it would be simple fix for everyone

This is an interesting article and explains another componet.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
Hello,
i've started a keto-vegan diet for 7days, the goal are 30days. Days 3&4 are the hardest ones but now it's getting much better. I would like to find anyone who already did it to share our experiences. Thank you😊

There is a vegan Keto group on FB and perhaps they could give you some helpful advise. I have only ever followed a low carb (which isn't quite the same thing as keto) vegetarian diet when I was the latter, a few years ago and it certainly was a positive experience.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I will have to follow this for seeing benefits that are observed happening from ketosis, which I have argued against among others, practicing it with heavy use of meat and animal products generally, those are not vegan people. Ketosis is a symptom of starvation from an essential food category of nutrition. I am just skeptical of things people try lately, that include fruitarianism, and all raw eating, when I don't find strong support from doctors or nutritionists, like I do find for having just plant-based whole food.

Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
I really don't understand why people want to take everything out to the outer limits. Cutting down on processed carbs moves to no carbs at all. Add fruit to your diet ends up as eating nothing but cases of mangoes. Add some salads to your diet and all of a sudden your eating nothing but raw salads. All fruit; no fruit.

I just don't understand the extremes.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
could you please tell me why ketosis (not Ketoacidosis) is not healthy ?

The fact the Keto diet instructs followers to eat foods such as oils or other highly fatty foods that are generally lacking in nutritional value despite being loaded with calories... while simultaneously telling Keto dieters to reduce consumption of things that are extremely healthy such as fruits like blueberries should give you a clue about why Keto diets are ill-advised for the general public.

Less vitamins & antioxidants from Keto limitations on fruit & vegetable intake... and more relatively empty calories from fatty foods. Does that sound healthy to you?

Keep in mind the relationship between calorie consumption, antioxidants consumption, free radicals, and the aging process as you think about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC