keto&vegan, anyone tried?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15369
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15369

Hello,
i've started a keto-vegan diet for 7days, the goal are 30days. Days 3&4 are the hardest ones but now it's getting much better. I would like to find anyone who already did it to share our experiences. Thank youšŸ˜Š

Reactions: KLS52
Hello,
i've started a keto-vegan diet for 7days, the goal are 30days. Days 3&4 are the hardest ones but now it's getting much better. I would like to find anyone who already did it to share our experiences. Thank youšŸ˜Š
hi.
welcome aboard.

IMHO, you should drop the Keto part of your diet. Even the doctors who write the Keto books agree it is not a long term diet. And research shows it is not a good weight loss diet

It is undeniable that people lose weight on Keto. but since you can't stay on Keto forever, almost everyone just gains the weight back.

Instead stick with the vegan diet. You may not lose weight fast but its sort of the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race.

There are also many weight loss strategies that are not keto and are compatible with a vegan diet. Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live is a good guide for vegans interested in losing or maintaining their weight. Dr. Gregar's How not to Die or how not to diet are also good guidelines.

The Fuhrman book has a 30 day meal plan for weight loss that is pretty easy.

Hello,
What is your reasoning for this? Ketosis is not healthy!
If you really want to study human physiology on our eating get this book. It is a study of nutrition on all levels.Not a 'diet' book, but a science book that is backed by research, and really surprising interesting and easy to read:

hi.
welcome aboard.

IMHO, you should drop the Keto part of your diet. Even the doctors who write the Keto books agree it is not a long term diet. And research shows it is not a good weight loss diet

It is undeniable that people lose weight on Keto. but since you can't stay on Keto forever, almost everyone just gains the weight back.

Instead stick with the vegan diet. You may not lose weight fast but its sort of the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race.

There are also many weight loss strategies that are not keto and are compatible with a vegan diet. Dr. Fuhrman's Eat to Live is a good guide for vegans interested in losing or maintaining their weight. Dr. Gregar's How not to Die or how not to diet are also good guidelines.

hi.
welcome aboard.

dear Lou,
thank you for your answer. Why do you think that losing weight is my main goal with it? I wrote that my plan are 30 days, i dont consider 30 days "forever". I have many reasons why I do this, I didnt ask for opinions, I just want to know any person who tried himself. Keto diet is not black or white. If you want you can send me recent studies about how bad are keto VEGAN diets, I will be glad to read them. Thanks :)

What is your reasoning for this? Ketosis is not healthy!
If you really want to study human physiology on our eating get this book. It is a study of nutrition on all levels.Not a 'diet' book, but a science book that is backed by research, and really surprising interesting and easy to read:
Dear Silva,
nice to meet you.
could you please tell me why ketosis (not Ketoacidosis) is not healthy ? give me some reasons please, we will discuss about it.
thank you

hello @Mirian and welcome to the forum

Congrats on your decision to be vegan and, as the others have expressed, I also do not believe a keto diet is healthy. Rather than @silva having to spell it all out here I would suggest that you google " keto diet bad " and see what pops up. The first article that comes up for me is from the University of Chicago and the next is from Harvard and the next from the Mayo clinic. Good reads and you may also wish to check with a plant-based/vegan doctor in your area or online.

When I decided for the final time to go vegan I chose a whole food plant-based lifestyle or starchivore and I lost almost 25 lbs right away and have been able to keep it off even though I don't do a lot of exercise.

All the best with your decisions and we are here to help however we can.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

hello @Mirian and welcome to the forum

Congrats on your decision to be vegan and, as the others have expressed, I also do not believe a keto diet is healthy. Rather than @silva having to spell it all out here I would suggest that you google " keto diet bad " and see what pops up. The first article that comes up for me is from the University of Chicago and the next is from Harvard and the next from the Mayo clinic. Good reads and you may also wish to check with a plant-based/vegan doctor in your area or online.

When I decided for the final time to go vegan I chose a whole food plant-based lifestyle or starchivore and I lost almost 25 lbs right away and have been able to keep it off even though I don't do a lot of exercise.

All the best with your decisions and we are here to help however we can.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Hello Emma, thanks a lot for your message. Ive been looking for information about keto diet for more than 2 years. I found out that normal keto diets are "dangerous" because people take out almost all vegetables ( vitamins, minerals and fibre) and increase the consumption of cheese, burgers... without taking care of the quality from what they are eating. But this is not my case, I eat no processed foods and a lot of vegetables, ( all which have less than 4gr carbohydrate/100gr) i can give you a list if you want : all green vegetables, there are a lot. Nuts, flax seeds, psyllium (prebiotic, has a lot of fiber) , coconuts, berries. For protein is still easier: mix of vegan protein, tofu, textured pea protein etc.

hi.
welcome aboard.

i watched the video, my answer to Emma below is also fine to answer to this video. Dr. GregarĀ“s tell about nutrient deficiency and this is not my case. Thanks a lot for trying to help me , really :)

I thought there were other threads about vegan keto, but don't find any now.
I would not do well without whole grains, beans, or legumes! High fat doesn't agree with me
But what is your reasoning? What is the goal?
For me, I've found time restricted eating to be exceptional for weight loss. No oil, no sugar, no saturated fats, have dramactically lowered my cholesterol.

Reactions: Brian W
dear Lou,
thank you for your answer. Why do you think that losing weight is my main goal with it?
As far as I know, the only purpose of the Keto diet IS weight loss. I can't think of any other benefit to the diet.
I wrote that my plan are 30 days, i dont consider 30 days "forever".
30 days is a good limit for a keto diet. But like I said in my response, most people just gain the weight back after they quit Keto.
In defense of Keto, or maybe as an example of when keto is a good strategy, there are situations where rapid weight loss is medically advantageous. In those case, keto is a good idea. But for someone who just wants to look good in a bathing suit, you are probably better off with something long term.
oh, maybe that didn't come out right. I'm not claiming YOU are doing Keto for cosmetic reasons. However, I believe many people do.
I have many reasons why I do this, I didnt ask for opinions, I just want to know any person who tried himself.

Yes, I admit I overstepped in giving unasked for advice. I do have strong anti-keto opinions. In my own defense its like if someone posted, "I'm learning how to jump over cars with my motorcycle and I'm having trouble getting over 3 cars. Has anyone made it over 4?" My response would be sort of the same. Please stop jumping over cars.

Keto diet is not black or white. If you want you can send me recent studies about how bad are keto VEGAN diets, I will be glad to read them. Thanks :)

Like @Emma JC suggested, you can google "keto bad" and get plenty of reading material. but since you asked, and I feel a little guilty about giving unasked for advice.....

• ā€œMore often than not, itā€™s not sustainable. Oftentimes weight gain may come back, and youā€™ll gain more than what you lost,ā€
  • The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease.
  • Both Condon and Kleinman said they wouldnā€™t recommend the keto diet to their patients because it is ultimately not realistic or sustainable. The diet restricts fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy that can help with long term weight loss and overall health.

• During the transition phase, when the body switches over its fuel supply from glucose to ketones, it experiences flu-like symptoms, also called Keto-flu.
  • During the first few days, the body loses a lot of water, sodium and other minerals like potassium, magnesium etc. Infact, the initial weight lost is due to water loss and not fat loss. The symptoms are dehydration, frequent urination, excessive thirst, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches and muscle cramps.
  • Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia is another side effect. The noticeable symptoms during the transition phase include fatigue, hunger, confusion, anxiety, irritability, tachycardia, light-headedness, shakiness, sweating and chills.

and....

Last edited:
There are those who advocate completely different advice about the cause of high cholesterol, and argue whether it's any cause for concern
Those like Dr Axe and Hyman and the "pegan" (paleo-vegan) criticize grains of all kinds
Disputes over the proper diet for type 2 diabetes

Of all my reason, Dr Greger, Esselstyn, Barnard, Furhman.....have all documented evidence based research proving otherwise.
Of the people I've known who have reversed heart disease and type 2 diabetes, as those with high cholesterol, a WFPB diet, no sugar, no oil, have been life changers. The most dramatic was a coworker who had gone through years of stents, bypasses, drugs for heart problems, as well as diabetes 2--a whole family history of poor health. He had tried keto diets, the typical low fat heart healthy diets, and not until seeing Dr Esselsyn and following his diet that he transformed his health. He has the test results to prove it, and no more meds for anything. His condition had led to him being given last rites at one point following another triple bypass. Two years of being under Esselstyns program he runs marathons

Sorry, I know this isn't what your here for, but l don't know anyone here who's been successful with vegan keto. We have had some long term members mention it, but never a follow through

There are many benefits from eating whole grains, including their specific types of fiber, prebiotic and probiotic gut balance, that simply aren't found in other foods.

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
As far as I know, the only purpose of the Keto diet IS weight loss. I can't think of any other benefit to the diet.

30 days is a good limit for a keto diet. But like I said in my response, most people just gain the weight back after they quit Keto.
In defense of Keto, or maybe as an example of when keto is a good strategy, there are situations where rapid weight loss is medically advantageous. In those case, keto is a good idea. But for someone who just wants to look good in a bathing suit, you are probably better off with something long term.
oh, maybe that didn't come out right. I'm not claiming YOU are doing Keto for cosmetic reasons. However, I believe many people do.

Yes, I admit I overstepped in giving unasked for advice. I do have strong anti-keto opinions. In my own defense its like if someone posted, "I'm learning how to jump over cars with my motorcycle and I'm having trouble getting over 3 cars. Has anyone made it over 4?" My response would be sort of the same. Please stop jumping over cars.

Like @Emma JC suggested, you can google "keto bad" and get plenty of reading material. but since you asked, and I feel a little guilty about giving unasked for advice.....

• ā€œMore often than not, itā€™s not sustainable. Oftentimes weight gain may come back, and youā€™ll gain more than what you lost,ā€
  • The keto diet could cause low blood pressure, kidney stones, constipation, nutrient deficiencies and an increased risk of heart disease.
  • Both Condon and Kleinman said they wouldnā€™t recommend the keto diet to their patients because it is ultimately not realistic or sustainable. The diet restricts fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low fat dairy that can help with long term weight loss and overall health.

• During the transition phase, when the body switches over its fuel supply from glucose to ketones, it experiences flu-like symptoms, also called Keto-flu.
  • During the first few days, the body loses a lot of water, sodium and other minerals like potassium, magnesium etc. Infact, the initial weight lost is due to water loss and not fat loss. The symptoms are dehydration, frequent urination, excessive thirst, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches and muscle cramps.
  • Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia is another side effect. The noticeable symptoms during the transition phase include fatigue, hunger, confusion, anxiety, irritability, tachycardia, light-headedness, shakiness, sweating and chills.

and....

when i read this is the same that when people tell me how bad is to be vegan, in this cases i just feel that there is no point to answer

and....

when i read this I feel the same than when anybody tell me how bad is to eat vegan (b12, not enough protein etc... ). i see no point to discuss with you just know about the lost weight from it. Just tip in google "benefits of keto diet besides weight loss"(my telephone dont allow me to paste the link. First time i got interested was reading about mental illneses like alzheimer. My goal is to improve (still more) my health and my endurance learning my boady how to get energy when carbohydrates are finished. I will see myself by the end of the month how its going.

There are those who advocate completely different advice about the cause of high cholesterol, and argue whether it's any cause for concern
Those like Dr Axe and Hyman and the "pegan" (paleo-vegan) criticize grains of all kinds
Disputes over the proper diet for type 2 diabetes

Of all my reason, Dr Greger, Esselstyn, Barnard, Furhman.....have all documented evidence based research proving otherwise.
Of the people I've known who have reversed heart disease and type 2 diabetes, as those with high cholesterol, a WFPB diet, no sugar, no oil, have been life changers. The most dramatic was a coworker who had gone through years of stents, bypasses, drugs for heart problems, as well as diabetes 2--a whole family history of poor health. He had tried keto diets, the typical low fat heart healthy diets, and not until seeing Dr Esselsyn and following his diet that he transformed his health. He has the test results to prove it, and no more meds for anything. His condition had led to him being given last rites at one point following another triple bypass. Two years of being under Esselstyns program he runs marathons

Sorry, I know this isn't what your here for, but l don't know anyone here who's been successful with vegan keto. We have had some long term members mention it, but never a follow through

There are many benefits from eating whole grains, including their specific types of fiber, prebiotic and probiotic gut balance, that simply aren't found in other foods.
thank you for the info

Hi, I have tried vegan keto. I've heavily researched the pros and cons of keto, and like you, only thought of it as a short-term experiment. I'm committed to plant-based eating, but I have a number of health issues that a keto version might be of some help. I decided to give it a try after reading Dr. Will Cole's book, Ketotarian, I kept it vegan instead of his idea of "mostly plant-based." Personally it didn't work too well for me. I stuck it out for 10 days, gained weight and had nonstop "keto flu." Of course, YMMV. Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC