Justice's story

D

Deleted member 3018

A horse, whose's former name was Shadow (and now Justice), was horribly neglected for years. Now Animal Legal Defence Fund is suing the horses former "guardian" on behalf of the horse, to recover the costs of Justices' medical expenses.

"The Oregon legislature and courts have been a leader in recognizing that animals are sentient beings that occupy a unique position in the law. The Oregon Supreme Court, for example, has already recognized that animals should be considered individual “victims” in criminal animal cruelty cases. However, existing laws still lag far behind our current understanding of animal sentience by classifying animals as property."
https://aldf.org/article/groundbreaking-lawsuit-argues-animals-right-sue-abusers-court/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy Oregon, it's not even legal to smash car windows to free a dog on a hot day in Oregon. It's vandalism or something. In California the same action is viewed as legal, even heroic, as I witnessed one day in LA.

I hope this changes something in Oregon.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Oh boy Oregon, it's not even legal to smash car windows to free a dog on a hot day in Oregon. It's vandalism or something. In California the same action is viewed as legal, even heroic, as I witnessed one day in LA.

I hope this changes something in Oregon.
It's illegal to rescue a dog from a car on a hot day? That's unbelievable! I do believe you... But it's just too absurd.
I hope change comes fast.

Good thing that California has some sense.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
It's illegal to rescue a dog from a car on a hot day? That's unbelievable! I do believe you... But it's just too absurd.
I hope change comes fast.

Good thing that California has some sense.

I went to the Oregon Caves and we saw a dog alone in a car in warm early September. The park ranger clarified that we were no longer in California and our plan wasn't ok. That's how I know, through personal experiences.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I went to the Oregon Caves and we saw a dog alone in a car in warm early September. The park ranger clarified that we were no longer in California and our plan wasn't ok. That's how I know, through personal experiences.
...That's horrible...
But it wouldn't be the first time when there are inconsistencies, in laws considering domesticated animals. Like for example, it's illegal to cause unnecessary suffering on animals, and still we keep hens in small cages...

Reactions: Forest Nymph