Israeli PM faces corruption charges (again)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A police statement said there was enough evidence to indict Mr Netanyahu for bribery, fraud and breach of trust in two separate cases.

Speaking on Israeli television, Mr Netanyahu said the allegations were baseless and that he would continue as prime minister.

The allegations, he said, "will end with nothing".
More: Israel PM Netanyahu faces corruption charges (13. Feb. 2018)

It will be up to the attorney general's office to decide if they will actually take the PM to court.

And yet another case:
Israeli police questioned Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife on Friday as part of a corruption investigation involving the country’s largest telecom firm, local media reported, the third such scandal to engulf the prime minister.

Known as Case 4,000, the investigation centres around allegations that the owners of Bezeq Israel Telecom provided positive coverage of the Netanyahus on a news website in return for regulatory changes worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
More: Police question Benjamin Netanyahu over third corruption case (2. March 2018)

I personally hope he goes, although if he does I don't know how much positive difference it would make in the region if any. Not sure who would replace him or whether they would be any better - they could hardly be much worse in my personal opinion. I read an article on an Israeli site (I don't recall which) that basically said he is not going to go immediately, but is probably on his way out.

His wife is being charged with fraud and breach of trust for using public funds to pay for expensive restaurant meals:
According to the indictment, Sara Netanyahu spent tens of thousands of dollars on meals from expensive restaurants between 2010 and 2013 in alleged violation of rules barring the residence from ordering in meals during periods when there was a cook on its staff.
More: Sara Netanyahu charged with fraud over catering allegations (21. June 2018)

Israel’s attorney general has indicted Benjamin Netanyahu for bribery, fraud and breach of trust, in a damning blow to the prime minister as he fights for his political survival.

Avichai Mandelblit charged the 70-year-old leader on Thursday in all three major corruption cases for which he was investigated. It was the first time a sitting Israeli prime minister has been charged with a crime.

(21. Nov. 2019)

The PM says it's a politically orchestrated witch-hunt. Hmm, that sounds familiar, where did I hear that before?!